About PV10A parts list

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

About PV10A parts list

Post by Toberius »

Hi there, I just notice me what parts list of PV10A output capacitor are 4mF but I found in my pre amp with 2uF stock.

Anyone knows why?

Regards.
Premier 11A - PV10A - Harbeth M30.1 - Bryston DBA3 - NUC6i7KYK runs Gentoo RT for digital streaming TIDAL and flac files - Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 - Thorens TD126 MKIII - MC30 cartdrige - Ortofon T-30
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: About PV10A parts list

Post by roberto »

Usually those caps are just coupling caps, and what they do is to prevent DC from where the signal is coming. Some models might have 4,7 uF and others might have 2.2 uF. This small capacitance will not affect the frequency response...4.7uF or 2.2 uF there will work fine both.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

Re: About PV10A parts list

Post by Toberius »

Hello Roberto,

I understand that they are coupling capacitors to eliminate the DC, and the calculation is in function of the impedance of the next stage.

The formula for the calculation of the capcitance is Image

If a 4uF capacitor is used, the filter is applied for frequencies below 40Hz, so the lower the capacitor value, the more low frequencies pass.
The 20Hz range corresponds to a 2.2uF coupling capacitor according to the general capacitance formula.

I suppose a lower value capacitor could be used.

I am a hobbyist and like to understand circuits.

Regards.
Premier 11A - PV10A - Harbeth M30.1 - Bryston DBA3 - NUC6i7KYK runs Gentoo RT for digital streaming TIDAL and flac files - Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 - Thorens TD126 MKIII - MC30 cartdrige - Ortofon T-30