CLX ARTs, $9999, 2 years old

A nice place to sell, buy, and trade anything (without the fees). See something on sale at another site, talk about it here.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

CLX ARTs, $9999, 2 years old

Post by AnotherJohnson »

These just showed up.

https://tmraudio.com/speakers/floorstan ... wood-pair/

You know you want them. 😁

I’d buy them myself if I thought I had enough of a room for them.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CLX ARTs, $9999, 2 years old

Post by admin »

Yes, very nice. Not in the budget right now for me but really some exceptional speakers.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos...that was there first CLX model. Look the shape of the wooden Frame:

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/clx
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/clx-art

The CLXs ART model were launched in 2010 and it has several mods ahead of the previous model The CLX. The CLX model were launched in 2008 and was presented to the world in the Munich Audio Show. The CLXS were nominated "the best sounding speaker of the show" unanimously by the 11 judges regardless of the price. Two brands were at the end of the show competing. The Focal Grande Utopia JMLabs costing six or more times than the CLXs, also was the first time that happened with the judges in the Munich Show.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They are identifying them as 2 year old single owner CLX ARTs with manual, factory packaging, etc.

Two years ago, ML moved to Canada and discontinued the CLX ART model and blew them out at dealers with inventory.

Not long before that, ML told me that they were building new ones to order. They weren’t keeping any in stock. The nearest audition available was to travel to Phoenix, which was more than I was willing to do.

After they were discontinued (in the early Covid period), several used pair were offered for $10k to $12k by dealers like Albert Sportis in Chicago. Last year the asking prices rebounded to $15k and more. But they didn’t sell.

This is the first pair on my radar in a long while, and the price is right IF THEY'RE REALLY 2 year old single owner CLX ARTs. If they’re as Roberto suggests, they won’t get that much … maybe as little as $6k.

Also, since TMRAUDIO is a legitimate dealer with an extended return policy and warranty, they would certainly want to know. If someone buys them and they’re not as advertised, they will have to eat the round trip shipping.

I’m going to suggest that they double check. But it would be odd to blow this listing since the manual and boxes are clearly marked.

And once again, I am not affiliated in any way with TMR … but I do buy things from them and sell things to them from time to time. They do not know that I’ve linked to their listing.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They now know I’ve linked to their listing.

Their “technical team” is checking. They would not want to have a disgruntled buyer.

If they’re not ARTs, they’ll fix it. I’ve blown up the photos, and they’re definitely CLX, factory labeled as such with CLX manual.

I’ve noticed that they often get msrp wrong, usually in the direction of under pricing.

Looking at the ART pictures provided by Roberto’s link to ML, I am not picking up on the differences that may be obvious to an ART aficionado. There do seem to be differences in the connection block though.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Thanks to Roberto’s sharp eye, they’ve changed the listing to CLX and 12 years old single owner.

Now they are not such a good deal … I think they’ll have a hard time getting $10k for them.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

roberto wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 am Hola Chicos...that was there first CLX model. Look the shape of the wooden Frame:

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/clx
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/clx-art

The CLXs ART model were launched in 2010 and it has several mods ahead of the previous model The CLX. The CLX model were launched in 2008 and was presented to the world in the Munich Audio Show. The CLXS were nominated "the best sounding speaker of the show" unanimously by the 11 judges regardless of the price. Two brands were at the end of the show competing. The Focal Grande Utopia JMLabs costing six or more times than the CLXs, also was the first time that happened with the judges in the Munich Show.
Yup, good eye. I'm surprised they made that mistake but luckily corrected it before it was shipped to a customer. I would be pretty upset if I ordered the newer model and got sent the older one.

Still a great speaker, but not as much of a "deal" now.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I like TMR. They really do mean well. Of course they want to (literally have to) make a profit. But they try to do it ethically.

I look at their “new arrivals” page nearly every day. Lots of interesting stuff shows up.

Their generous return policy and warranty on used goods is an attraction. Selling stuff to them is not as easy as it once was because they never used to low ball when they were very small. Now they’ve got more buyers, and some of them are inclined to bid low. But that’s OK. The low ballers will often negotiate up.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:15 pm I like TMR. They really do mean well. Of course they want to (literally have to) make a profit. But they try to do it ethically.

I look at their “new arrivals” page nearly every day. Lots of interesting stuff shows up.

Their generous return policy and warranty on used goods is an attraction. Selling stuff to them is not as easy as it once was because they never used to low ball when they were very small. Now they’ve got more buyers, and some of them are inclined to bid low. But that’s OK. The low ballers will often negotiate up.
They also have a McCormack amplifier on there:

https://tmraudio.com/components/power-a ... amplifier/

Interesting that the McCormack website (which I guess is essentially owned by CJ) does not mention this model at all.

This is what I could find about the unit: https://www.stereophile.com/headphones/ ... index.html
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, age unknown usually mean “old”.

http://www.mccormackaudio.com/manuals/mpaman.pdf

This one looks to me like it predates McCormick’s formal relationship with CJ.

If I’m reading it correctly, the stereophile review is of a different model.

If you go to the end of the link admin shared, you will find Sam Tellig’s 1998 review. Sam made a lot of good positive observations about capabilities that the unit in the review has as a two channel line level preamp, beyond its headphone amp role.

I would not buy something from that era due to aging of parts, but a McCormick collector might be willing to take the risk.

Personally, my experience is that nothing from that era is sonically as good as the state of the comparable art from 15 years later.