Lew Johnson, Bill Conrad, Jeff Fischel interviews

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Lew Johnson, Bill Conrad, Jeff Fischel interviews

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Maybe this was already posted, but I ran across it today and thought it worth sharing.

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-dis ... nds-right/

And related in the same issue:

https://positive-feedback.com/audio-dis ... ng-strong/

Edit: I’ve dug around a bit and found that the story was shared in 2017, and again in 2019.

Still, there are probably some who would like to see these.

So I’m leaving them up … but if admin thinks they’re redundant, I won’t be offended if they’re deleted.

Personally I’d like to see them as a sticky at the top. They provide a lot of insight into LJ, BC, and JF.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Lew Johnson, Bill Conrad, Jeff Fischel interviews

Post by roberto »

AJ,
Always sharing info of this kind it is a pleasure to read it again. These three men are very important in our high quality audio world. I just got an email from Lew, for my birthday:

Lew Johnson
Sat, Dec 25, 2021, 12:10 PM

to me

Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday my dear friend. All the best,

Lew Johnson

He is a very nice man...
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

🥰
Don’t forget I wished you a happy birthday too!
😉

Maybe it’s the generous gifts of coffee. Nice men (like you) encourage other nice men like Lew. 😁
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've red the articles before but yeah, it's great. Truly monumental figures in the audiophile world.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:33 am 🥰
Don’t forget I wished you a happy birthday too!
😉

Maybe it’s the generous gifts of coffee. Nice men (like you) encourage other nice men like Lew. 😁
Of course dear Glen, you did not forget my birthday and many of you too. I am very happy to be in this group of friends, who love music and also the quality of the reproduction of it too. We all know that Conrad Johnson sounds right!

A big hug to all of you from Costa Rica,

Bobby.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

On the other hand, it is so good to have you with us AR, your knowledge and wisdom advices are very important to us! Here in this forum are very nice people and to name a few, RJ, Admin, Joe, and all members that make this forum as a family...I must thank to all!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Sorry if missed your B'day Robbo mate.
Belated wishes, and trust you had an enjoyable Xmas and a great B'day celebration too! Now you're one more year wiser!

As you very correctly pointed out, our highly valued CJ gear is definitely providing us all with those wonderful tunes, whether it be tubes or SS, it definitely just sounds right.

Like I said before, I'm very passionate about tubes and full range Stats. For as long as I can maintain tubes, manage all the fuss and be able to physically attend to Stats, I will continue this passion. Towards retirement, who knows what's going on then... Lucky enough we would still have good hearing ability, otherwise what's the point?

So, do Enjoy those fine tunes!
A big woof!!! RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks RJ,

We love music, and that's our passion with the sound who brings to our joy the magnificent musicians at the recordings. Conrad Johnson gives us a way to enjoy them with love, care, and the good thing is: we can play any music with the same marvellous quality!

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This review is really more of an interview with Lew Johnson.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/con ... llig-17ls2

At the end of the review Lew comments on power cords and observes that their new (at the time) hospital grade power cord did affect the sound of the Premier 17 LS2.

As I remember it, Sam Tellig (aka the audio cheapskate) was a nomme de plume for Tom Gillette (sp?).
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Reading me, I did misspelled you AJ, please excuse me. I wrote AR instead AJ.

Very interesting the interview. Power cords gave me better bass control. There is where I find the work of the power cord. I should say more dynamics too. But people hear different, and I don't really know if I am capable to hear what they are saying...when the AC is dirty, the Transparent AC cables worked nicely, and they used some capacitors and coils and resistors into the cable. The bass was more, if you let me say, round. Less linear. But they were doing an electronic trick.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

I was able to repair the PV-5. The noise was coming from a shorted 4.7uF...but I don't trust in the work that was done before...and as I said, a really bad work, and impossible for me to repair such a mess.

In the remember's coffin I found a Sonic Frontiers SFl-1. Another preamp that was there since long time ago. Why? The lack of a remote control obviously to the convenience. Or my ears are spoiled or this is a truly high end product too. Peek inside and it looks old. Did some measurements, and both channels are about the same. Only one tube: 12AT7 is the one.

The sound is very neutral. Good bass and good definition. I will keep you posted with my findings