Vinyl, tape, reel-to-reel, laserdisc...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

The King James Version - Harry James & His Big Band

Post by AnotherJohnson »

9F3EF85A-D7F1-4265-9593-9069702D8410.jpeg
9F3EF85A-D7F1-4265-9593-9069702D8410.jpeg (3.58 MiB) Viewed 1281 times
This was Sheffield Lab -3. I’ll look for 2, which iirc was Thelma Houston and Pressure Cooker.

Harry James was a well known established talent.

This is sonically outstanding, just as Sheffield Lab -1 had been.

The direct to disk process with Lincoln Mayorga’s custom built lathe and careful microphone capture makes these recordings incredibly accurate representations of the original studio performances. As with all direct to disk efforts, the musicians had to be ready to cut a whole side at one sitting. No tape. No editing. The instruments are rock stable and there is exceptional presence.

If these are available to streamers, they’ve been subjected to extra processing, but they may still be excellent.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: The King James Version - Harry James & His Big Band

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve pulled out 17 Sheffield Labs records just digging around. I won’t review them one by one, but I may do a summary of the series. I did find Sheffield Lab-2, Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker’s “I’ve Got The Music In Me. That one sold out early and it may be the only one where they went back and pressed some more. Same master disk, so some of the fine detail is not in the second run due to master disk wear.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.