Lincoln Mayorga’s & Distinguished Colleagues Volume III

Vinyl, tape, reel-to-reel, laserdisc...
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Lincoln Mayorga’s & Distinguished Colleagues Volume III

Post by AnotherJohnson »

This disk was used one year at the McIntosh clinic event finale at Nicholson’s Hi Fi in Nashville about 40 years ago. They played it to show off their very best electronics and speakers.
11F30885-8A0B-4A3D-8704-BE1FF52D7190.jpeg
11F30885-8A0B-4A3D-8704-BE1FF52D7190.jpeg (3.69 MiB) Viewed 1391 times
Sheffield Lab - 1

I remember it with relish because it was a sonic blockbusting demo. It sounded far better on the $50k McIntosh components in the well set up room than it did in my home system of those days. I can’t remember the TT or cartridge they used, but it was probably the top of the line Denon model of the day with a Shure flagship cartridge.

It was cut direct to disk in 1973. Lincoln Mayorga was a fanatic about the idea that the only way to get true high end reproduction was to use simple miking techniques with specially designed microphones and to cut direct to the master disk, bypassing all the distortion of tape and editing.

The musicians had to be ready to cut a whole side at one sitting.

Music critics were often unimpressed. They said that the whole process put undue stress on the musicians, and since the musicians were not famous in their own rite, the performances were considered uninspired.

But audiophiles loved this series, and later Lincoln was able to do some direct to disk recordings with established famous musicians.

I’ve not listened to this record in at least 30 years, but I cleaned it tonight and stuck it on the platter.

It is sonically excellent. Very stable image. Wonderful sparkle and presence. It impressed me as a worthy recording for showing off a system. The program is quite enjoyable too.

The direct to disk format limits the length of each side. The goal was to present incredible dynamic range. I would count it as a howling success. If it’s available in a streaming format, it may not be as impressive … though it’s hard to say. There was no master tape for remastering or digitizing.

After listening to this disk, I’m going to run through the whole Sheffield Lab series. I’ve had them all since they were released.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lincoln Mayorga’s & Distinguished Colleagues Volume III

Post by admin »

Wow. Can you imagine trying to do that on a major album today? Just doing a couple of songs direct, no editing post. They would call that a "live album" these days.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Lincoln Mayorga’s & Distinguished Colleagues Volume III

Post by AnotherJohnson »

admin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:00 pm Wow. Can you imagine trying to do that on a major album today? Just doing a couple of songs direct, no editing post. They would call that a "live album" these days.
But in the modern application, they might take takes from more than one performance on a tour. And there would likely be mixing and mastering. And there would be the studio audience noises, as well as the whimsy of the tape, noise reduction, compander, etc.

These are truly live, but they are also truly the performance as heard unaltered.

Of course how good it sounds is dependent on the playback gear.

I’m playing with the Linn Klimax (without the Uphorik), Lyra Etna, ARC Reference electronics, and Revel F228Bes. It is very real.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.