EF-1

The PV-1 to now...
Mojofilter17
Frequent User
Frequent User

EF-1

Post by Mojofilter17 »

I know the EF-1 schematic is not in our database, but anyone out there have one or know where to get one?
Thanks!
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: EF-1

Post by roberto »

Can you explain the problem of the unit? Some might have a clue of what's going on.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Mojofilter17
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Mojofilter17 »

No power on the unit. I could probably figure it out once the unit arrives (belongs to a friend), but just like to be ready with a schematic. Unless it's the transformer, should be fixable.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Check for a blown fuse.

From the manual:

The AC line is fused to protect the EF1’s transformer. This fuse will not fail in normal operation. Failure of the fuse is a symptom of a more serious problem, indicating the need for qualified service. In no event should the fuse be replaced with a fuse of different type or rating than that supplied by the factory. The EF1 uses a 1/4 amp 3AG fast-blow fuse (1/8 amp 3AG fast-blow for 220V operation).
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AJ is right! Use the only recommended fuse rating. On no other circumstances you should use a higher fuse value.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Mojofilter17
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Mojofilter17 »

The main power fuse upstream of the transformer was blown. I began checking the power supplies - the first regulator after the rectifier/filter is a Darlington pair, and the MJE340 was shorted emitter/collector. With the MJE340 pulled, the downstream path was still shorted to ground. I lifted the side of the large filter capacitor on the output of the Darlington pair and viola! Short gone. I removed the Conrad-Johnson-made 2.0 MFD 100VDC cap and found it dead-short between the leads. I have to say I was quite surprised. I guess I thought the C-J caps lasted forever.
Conrad-Johnson will not sell me a replacement so I put a SCR polypropylene of the same value in its place. I believe SCR is supposed to be a good cap, and this one is not in the signal path so I figure it's good to go.
This EF-1 is dead-quiet!! The EQ curve is spot on. Very airy and transparent.
Thanks all for your input!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats. Glad it was a relatively easy fix. Enjoy the music.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The CJD Teflon caps would probably last longer, but 27 years is a good run for the other plastics.

Congratulations!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.