CJ CAV 45s2 vs 45s2 SE version

From tubes to solid state.
creed
Regular
Regular

CJ CAV 45s2 vs 45s2 SE version

Post by creed »

Hi, I have the CAV 45s2 and was wondering if anyone has owned the stock version and had it upgraded with Teflon caps or have heard both examples to compare the sonic benefit of the between the 2. I was considering it but is it worth the money or really a huge difference, Thank you for any insight.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ CAV 45s2 vs 45s2 SE version

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day,

Owned both versions of the CAV45 & S2 but haven't come across a SE version. Didn't know they offered a specifuc SE one.

CJD Teflons have always been a good upgrade but Teflons alone don't quite make the mark. In addition to Teflons, CJ also upgrades several resistors to Vishays in critical stages of the signal path. It's the addition of both of these top grade parts that contributes to a significant improvement.

The thing you have to remember is that if the S2 of the CAV45 has been upgraded to a certain level, and from there you want to further upgrade, this will push the cost further into the territory a Classic 62 amplifier. This category of amps is not CAV45, hence the reason why the CAV45 is priced within a certain range.

If I had the chance to own another CAV45S2, I would enjoy it fully just the way it is. Those SE upgrades aren't cheap!

If I was to spend more than a S2 version and still had further financial means then I would invest in a Classic 62.

The decision is yours! Hope that helps...
Cheers, RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ CAV 45s2 vs 45s2 SE version

Post by roberto »

Hola creed,

I am with RJ...I also had the CAV45S2 and it is a very nice integrated power amp. The 6CA7/EL34 power tubes are very nice sounding tubes.

I have not heard any unit with the Teflon Caps and special metal foil resistors yet. I didn't know that there is a kit to make it SE. As far as I know there is not that kit available.

Definitively the Teflon caps and the metal foil resistors are a very good thing to have. The signal to noise ratio will improve with the metal foil resistors, and more transparency to the sound will add the Teflon caps.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.