Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
bschott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Hello from NYC

Post by bschott »

Hi all,

Long time PV11 owner. I'm into SET amplification (DIY Hifi Billie 300b mono blocks that have their upgrade kit. VPI HW19 Mk4 TT w/ Morch up4 arm fitted with a Denon 301mk2 cart and my homemade Jensen jt-44-dx SUTs. Speakers are my own design - tapered quarter wave back loaded horns with foxtex fe206, fatal FE300 woofer and foxtex horn tweeter. Biamped using a Quad 303 (that also had to be resurrected from the dead) on the woofer. I use a minidsp HD2x4. Originally had just the 206 in the horn but was missing the bottom octave so I went biamp with the additional woofer. I know I'm committing horn heresy but I need some bass man. The Faitals are also hi eff drivers and match SPL up nicely with the Fostex. I like that you can really hear the tonality of the bass instruments instead of just the thump.

Recently brought the unit up to snuff with some new Mundorf output caps, Takman Rey resistors, new gold plated tube sockets, some new phono input rca jacks, IEC power socket and SMD stepped attenuator. Had a bum phono jack on the pv11 so that was the start of a repair that somehow ended up replacing some of the caps, tube sockets, redoing a lot of cold solder joints and tracking down various coughs and sneezes the unit was having. Here's a tale of the pv11 upgrade on this thread: https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... php?t=1937. Halfway thru the thread I recount the upgrades I did.

I guess you can say I like to tinker and build stuff. Can't help it . Wish I had a proper shop though. In downtown Manhattan so don't think that'll ever happen. I like the sound of SET amplification and high efficiency speakers. It's not the flattest system but there's an aliveness to the sound that I enjoy and I think makes the reproduction more real. I'm a pro recording / mixing engineer so I listen to pro studio setups all day. All SS amps with near, mid and soffit mounted speakers. I'm old enough to have worked with all the Urei, JBL, Altec, Tannoy, Westlake, etc studio monitors. They're all great and get real loud cleanly. So at home I wanted something diff. btw, I used to have a pair of Urei 811s (bless my wife's heart for indulging me) powered by my 8 watt 300b amps. Those suckers were so efficient that with only 8 watts our neighbors at the other end of the block would think we were having a block party. We actually had folks ringing our buzzer asking if we were a new club. Liked them a lot but they were just too much for our loft. Sold them to a studio In Massachusetts and nearly broke my back moving them.

So hi everyone and glad to perhaps add a different voice to the conversation.

Here's pics:
IMG_3927.jpg
IMG_3927.jpg (663.75 KiB) Viewed 511 times
IMG_3933.jpg
IMG_3933.jpg (506.52 KiB) Viewed 511 times
IMG_3934.jpg
IMG_3934.jpg (457.35 KiB) Viewed 511 times
IMG_3932.jpg
IMG_3932.jpg (483.49 KiB) Viewed 511 times
IMG_3930.jpg
IMG_3930.jpg (534.93 KiB) Viewed 511 times
IMG_3931.jpg
IMG_3931.jpg (557.51 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Attachments
IMG_3926.jpg
IMG_3926.jpg (860.01 KiB) Viewed 511 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Hello from NYC

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Very nice. I’ve owned many of those components, but not recently. I’ll bet it is a very “musical” system. Enjoy!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Truly excellent. Looks great and I'm sure it sounds it as well.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh yeah! Another CJ classic the pv11!

Great stuff, especially those Mundorfs, they'll add a certain level of refinement only found in such caps, resulting in overall finesse that's very very nice. Seems like a very committed project that required hours/ years of experience and ended with top level results. I'm sure you're not done yet... and the best is yet to come!

Definitely nice to have you on board, and cheers to a different voice!
That deserves a mighty big WOOF!!!
RJ
bschott
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bschott »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:48 am Oh yeah! Another CJ classic the pv11!

Great stuff, especially those Mundorfs, they'll add a certain level of refinement only found in such caps, resulting in overall finesse that's very very nice. Seems like a very committed project that required hours/ years of experience and ended with top level results. I'm sure you're not done yet... and the best is yet to come!

Definitely nice to have you on board, and cheers to a different voice!
That deserves a mighty big WOOF!!!
RJ
Misspoke about the Mundorfs - they're actually MulticapRTXs 2uf. Funny thing about those Multicaps - those things are Huge. And heavy. Before I secured them with tie wraps I thought that they could "float" above the pcb. Wrong!! The little bit of movement actually broke the solder joints! The do sound nice though - still breaking them in so the final verdict is still a way's off. Originally CJ had a 2uf paralleled with .15uf. Just used a RTX 2uf and all's good. CJ seems to do that a lot in these circuits - paralleling 2uf coupling caps with .15ufs. Me thinks that the 2uf are styrene and the .15s are polypropylene which I think are more expensive.

I'm not an EE. Just a tinkerer who enjoys the challenge of figuring things out. And DIYing.

Best

Bob
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh! I see... that's OK then as long as it sounds marvellous!
Cheers, RJ