Conrad Johnson preamp>amp RCA - Auditorium23 interconnects

From tubes to solid state.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Conrad Johnson preamp>amp RCA - Auditorium23 interconnects

Post by tj-sully »

Hi folks - I am in the market for new RCA interconnects to connect a ACT2 preamp with Classic 62 amp.

From my research, the Auditorium 23 cables look interesting. Anyone have experience matching CJ gear to the A23’s?

Any other cable suggestions?

I mostly have XLR cables. And my preferred XLR is from
MG Audio Design.

For the Classic 62 setup, I am Currently using a pair of Iconoclastic rca’s by Belden….and looking to upgrade once the ACT2 arrives.

Thanks!!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conrad Johnson preamp>amp RCA - Auditorium23 interconnects

Post by admin »

Never had the opportunity to audition A23's so I can't say anything about that.

There are many options. Kimber makes some really nice high end cables. If you are looking for solid performance but at a more reasonable budget point, I recommend Signal Cable.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Cables can be neutral or like tone controls, as they have capacitance and resistance. Keeping their” fine tuning “ properties in mind can help
System synergy.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Cool thx admin. I will check out Signal cable. I suppose my budget is up to $500-$700 CDN per RCA pair.

Thx truth71, absolutely - cables have the ability to fine tune the system. Once the speakers, sources, amps are set….then it’s cable time!! That’s where I’m at.

Thanks.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, well within your budget are the AudioQuest MacKenzies. Use the shortest runs you can. The MacKenzies are, to my ears, the sweet spot in the AudioQuest line up. They clearly sound better than the cheaper stuff. They’re very close to the high price spread for a tenth of the price.

And ALL cable companies offer HUGE margins to the dealer. You may be able to swing a much better price than msrp.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Thanks AJ. Good suggestion. I have a pair of AQ McKenzie XLR cables and have been pretty impressed with their performance. I found the AQ cables leaning a little towards the leaner / cooler side of the spectrum. I am looking for a cable slightly towards the warmer side of the neutral line.

I’ve read the Auditorium 23 are a good choice for Shindo gear - paired with highly efficient speakers.

I can’t really afford shindo electronics but i am using speakers > 100dB efficiency and do enjoy the sense of warmth vs super clean detailed sound.

Another cable that looks interesting is the Audience line. But ya…both these and the 23’s are kinda pricey.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Don’t forget that it is the coupling between two components that are acting in concert. Your impression of a cable will be affected by the components it connects.

Personally, I think that modern CJ gear is pretty forgiving once you get to the MacKenzie level. Of course speakers, source, and room may overwhelm anything a cable does or doesn’t do.

And then there is the balanced vs unbalanced in play as well. Again, the MacKenzies do well either balanced or unbalanced. This is not true for some other designs in my experience.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Cardas has a wide line of cables that are crafted, not mass manufactured. Another brand worth looking at/listening to.
What do you hope to accomplish with your cables? "Transparancy" Any specific "tone" effects, such as warmth, bring out more sizzle, etc. eyc. etc?
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Yes, I am a fan of Cardas. I only wish I knew they were based out of Bandon Oregon when I was there years ago to play golf at Bandon Dunes….just down the street!

I used to have a Cardas Clear AES/EBU digital cable and loved it. I also have a pair of Cardas speaker cables in their entry lineup. I’d love to try their Clear Reflection cables.

I am definitely a fan of more “warm” meaty presentation vs. super clean, precise, cool sounds.

I recently had a pair of higher end Nordost cables. While they excelled at imaging and delicate transients , the overall presentation (to my ears, in my room with my electronics) came across as a little too clean for me. It would’ve been nice to keep them to mix things up now and again, but my hi fi buddy in town wanted them for his system..so off the Nordost went.

I think my short list is Cardas, Audience and Auditorium23.

But these Iconoclast RCA cables by Belden are sounding pretty darn good right now. Will def wait until the ACT2 arrives before making a cable move…

Open to more suggestions tho! Thanks a lot guys.
TJ
WPG
Regular
Regular

Post by WPG »

TJ,

If you are still looking for suggestions you might want to look at the cables from Morrow Audio. Their newer cables are using what they call SSI Cable Technology. Their website provides a lot of information about their cables and if you have any questions they respond quickly to emails.

Morrow Audio generally will have a couple sales during the year and currently are having a sale that would give you a 50% savings on the level of cables that you would be looking at.

Morrow Audio cables do take time to break-in. If you think you might want to use their 60 day return policy, I would suggest using Morrow Audio’s break-in service. That way you will get a much better idea of the cable’s performance within the 60 days.