WTB Conrad-Johnson TEA-1 (series 1)

A nice place to sell, buy, and trade anything (without the fees). See something on sale at another site, talk about it here.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

WTB Conrad-Johnson TEA-1 (series 1)

Post by Billy Budapest »

I am looking for a Conrad-Johnson TEA-1, series one. Any of the TEA-1 series 1 models would be OK. Thanks, Eric
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: WTB Conrad-Johnson TEA-1 (series 1)

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I picked one up used and had Teflon caps and transformers added at the factory. It is definitely an upgrade over my TEA2MAX, but they’re both incredible phono sections. #1 and #2 of all I’ve heard in my systems.

My phono set ups are based on Linn and Lyra. YMMV.

Good luck with the hunt.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Thanks! Will use it with a Sota Comet and Shelter 501 II cartridge, along with a MET1 and MET150.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Bumping this thread. Anybody have a TEA—1 series 1 they would be willing to part with? Any of the TEA-1 models (i.e. the “full” TEA-1, TEA-1b, etc.) would be fine. Thanks!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hifi shark currently lists some units for sale currently (but none in the US).

https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=conrad+johnson+tea
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Yeah, I saw that but they are all 230v units. Thanks for the heads up though!
Markportwash
Regular
Regular

Post by Markportwash »

Check the Craigslist in NY someone is selling theirs for $2,700
Good luck
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Maybe you could post a link. The only one I see on Craig’s list New York is a TEA2.

If a TEA1 is actually being offered for that price, it’s either broken or hot.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Tue May 17, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:35 pm Maybe you could post a link. The only one I see on Craig’s list New York is a TEA2.

If a TEA1 is actually being offered for hat price, it’s either broken or hot.
A TEA1 series 1 is super old and I would not be surprised to see one for $2700.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Billy Budapest wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:37 pm
A TEA1 series 1 is super old and I would not be surprised to see one for $2700.
I suppose it depends on how one interprets “super old,” but according to the CJ website, it was introducing in May 2007.

So the oldest ones would be 15. By CJ standards, I doubt most would consider that to be super old.

Heck, we get posts for a lot of 30 to 45 year old CJ gear here nearly every week. When I think of super old CJ gear, I think of stuff introduced on the order of 30 years ago.

The cheapest TEA1s3 is now priced at $17500. The s1 and s2 are not that far behind in sonic performance, and there aren’t yet parts support issues in play. Typical dealer selling prices on a used s1 or s2 are in the $5.5k range. $2.7k is a desperate offer.
Billy Budapest
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Billy Budapest »

Think of it this way—the original TEA-1 is two full generations removed from the current TEA-1v3, in addition to being at least 15 years old. Ordinarily, the resale price of used gear is 50% of its original MSRP. However, with 15 year old pieces, their selling price can easily be less than 50% of the original MSRP. So, $2700 for a 15 year old TEA-1 seems to be within the correct range. Would it be a good deal? Yes. Does it my wan something is wrong with the unit? No. As far as something being “hot,” I have never heard of there being a market for stolen Conrad Johnson gear.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Billy Budapest wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 11:36 pm Think of it this way—the original TEA-1 is two full generations removed from the current TEA-1v3, in addition to being at least 15 years old. Ordinarily, the resale price of used gear is 50% of its original MSRP. However, with 15 year old pieces, their selling price can easily be less than 50% of the original MSRP. So, $2700 for a 15 year old TEA-1 seems to be within the correct range. Would it be a good deal? Yes. Does it my wan something is wrong with the unit? No. As far as something being “hot,” I have never heard of there being a market for stolen Conrad Johnson gear.
How can something the oldest sample of which is fifteen years old be “at least 15 years old?” You meant “at most 15 years old. “

There is a market for hot gear. We see it even crossing international borders. USAudiomart and local sales networks, but sometimes eBay too, are typical selling venues. There was a guy who fenced hot Linn gear stolen in the UK and sold in North America. Usually there’s no box or manual. May be no power cord or remote. May have travel marks.

Before Covid there was no end of hot luxury US goods heading to containers bound for China.

As for a TEA1s1 for $2700, I’ve never seen one offered in the US in all my years of following the market.

If one was offered for that price, it was a deal comparable to admin’s purchase of his ARTs. But, like I said, the only one I found on CL NY was a TEA2. TEA2s regularly sell in the $2.5k to $3.5k range depending on the model.

All members of the Triode Equalization Amplifier series, TEA-X share sonic character. I would not think of one being three generations removed.

I looked at the TONE review that CJ links to from the TEA1 s3 website. It’s actually for an s2, so even CJ’s not drawing a big distinction. Read their blurbs.

The TEA2 dates back a good ways too, and it’s still a current model. It does not sound better than the TEA1s1 (I’ve had both for years, and my TEA2 is the MAX version, so it sounds as good as a TEA2 can get, which for the record, is my mighty good. Best I’d ever heard before the TEA1 got here. Still EXCELLENT!