Is CJ the only one selling components that invert?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Is CJ the only one selling components that invert?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Is anyone aware of another high end company selling components that invert the signal?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Is CJ the only one selling components that invert?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, if I'm correct, a few gear from Lamm Audio used to do this, and as you're aware, it's not inverting phase... it's actually preserving the phase, since the inversion happens upon input of the signal. Therefore, CJ decides to preserve this phase inversion, which is being more faithful to the original signal.

I think Lamm and Kondo Audio Note but not all their gear though. I'm not too sure if they still do this even now, I've not come across it as lately. Perhaps they do but not sure...

Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I think there have been a few phase inverting manufactures over the years, not just in stereos but musical equipment as well. I think some Marshall guitar amps were phase inverting. I remember looking at a Herron, amp or preamp, can't remember now,... and that was phase inverting.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, there can be inversions “up the chain.”

RJ’s list is interesting. The flip occurs at each gain stage. In a guitar combo amp, if you cared (and I don’t think most care for a guitar amp), you’d just flip the wires at the speaker(s). This could be done at a stack too, although it’s not.

Edit:

I’ve not fooled with Lamm or Kondo.

Regarding the idea that streaming takes care of it automatically (Roberto’s comment below) … I wonder if there’s a database that makes the call, or if it’s monitoring the slope of the starting microseconds. Or if there’s some other strategy.

CJ must believe that a majority of recordings are not out of phase, or they’d not bother to add the inversion at the speakers. If a majority of recordings were out of phase, having an odd number of inversions in the electronics would make things better and could be considered a plus.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Also many LPs have the recording with the inverted phase. Sony/Philips, Deutsche Gramophone, to call some, they do. This is the reason why I love to listen to digital now. At the software, there is a check option to have always the 0º phase. If the recording has it, the software does the correction for normal absolute phase.

The standard industry specs says that this is not important, but it does in our systems. When you have too big oversized musical instruments or voices playing, your phase is 180º. Also there are recording with mics with the inverted phase and others with the non inverted phase.

Happy listening!
Last edited by roberto on Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:57 am Also many LPs have the recording with the inverted phase. Sony/Philips, Deutsche Gramophone, to call some, they do. This is the reason why I love to listen to digital now. At the software, there is a check option to have always the 0º phase. If the recording has it, the software does the correction for normal absolute phase.
Sounds like an advantage to the ARC invert button.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The Lamm L2.1 hybrid Reference preamp includes a switch like ARC. Like ARC, they claim their switch to be sonically transparent.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Do this with the switch phase: Usually when the sound is louder changing the phase, the quieter is the one to use. Check the size of the musical instruments, and the stage, just play with the volume control knob and adjust for louder volume...the precision of the stage is granted, the stage, the size of the voices and musical instruments, etc...

Happy listening
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Yes, the ears are the final judge.

It is nice to have the switch capability.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

It is nicer to have it right all the time...lol.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

How do you know if you don’t check?

As a practical matter, it seems like an obsessive compulsive red herring.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

You do not need to check it, the software is who does it. It can't get this wrong. And your ears tell that too. Believe me, it is a wonderful tool on hand. There are so many softwares that offers this. My favourite softwares are HQ Player by Signalyst, and Audirvana. Here are great sounding engines that drives all your music digital files. Also there are DACs like PS Audio, Exasound, etc. You don't need the switch for these brands...they offer you to have oº or absolute phase to be in phase for all the audio files

Happy listening.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:23 am
Regarding the idea that streaming takes care of it automatically (Roberto’s comment below) … I wonder if there’s a database that makes the call, or if it’s monitoring the slope of the starting microseconds. Or if there’s some other strategy.
So you’re saying they have this in a data base?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG_6275.JPG
IMG_6275.JPG (1.92 MiB) Viewed 698 times
This is the option of Audirvana, that I am using right now...
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Only the invert polarity the software acts...