conrad/Johnson mv45A

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
tion010
Regular
Regular

conrad/Johnson mv45A

Post by tion010 »

My C/J mv 45A starting smoking When I turn it on .Smoke was coming right side of power tube coming up through the housing .I know it a old amp mated with a control Amp vintage dbx cx-3 vintage Snell speakers k/II it sound magical to me .Any opinions /technical advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone in advance for taking the time to understand my situation.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: conrad/Johnson mv45A

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Smoke = fire.

Resistor or cap probably failed.

If you are equipped to safely investigate (lethal voltages could still be present), remove casework. Your problem may be obvious due to melting and blackness.

Check your fuses. They’re supposed to prevent this sort of stuff.

If you want it to sound its best, send it back to CJ. If you just want it to work, take it to a local who repairs guitar amps.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Safe bet is to send it directly to CJ for repair.

However, if technically inclined I would pop the cover off and look for the damaged components which in your case will probably be easy to identify from the burn marks.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
tion010
Regular
Regular

Post by tion010 »

Admin ..... that my next move hoping it would be just as easy as replacing a dead battery in a car instead of wrenches... a soldering iron.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola tion010,
You have a bad power tube. And the 5 watts, 20 ohms bias resistor is burned. Usually that's all. It is wise to check all bias resistors for precise ohm value. Replace as needed. Fresh El-34/6CA7 tubes will make to bring back the wonderful sound of your MV-45.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
tion010
Regular
Regular

Post by tion010 »

Thank you Roberto for the valuable information you provided.All I need to do now is learn how to download schematics
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

mv45a1 schematic and parts.pdf
This is what I have, I hope it will help you with your problem

Happy listening!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.