LP125sa - I’m a newbie!

From tubes to solid state.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

LP125sa - I’m a newbie!

Post by tj-sully »

Hi folks…I am new to the CJ party. I bought a Classic 62 a few months ago and absolutely love it. I plan to keep it for a long time. I am driving a pair of Cornwall IV’s.

But…I have an opportunity to buy a LP125sa in excellent condition. My first thought is too much power but I am planning to buy a pair of Harbeth speakers too and thinking more power might be a good thing.

Just wondering whether the 8 KT120’s may rob some of the character i enjoy from the Classic 62 with EL34’s - or perhaps the LP125sa is tuned to still provide that nice CJ sound I am experiencing with the CJ62.

Any thoughts appreciated! Thank you!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: LP125sa - I’m a newbie!

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Roll the dice.

Some will like one. Some will swear that the other is better.

Depends on your taste.

The LP125s were part of the flagship LP series. The other has not been close to the top of the line, but is still a great amp.

You’re in a no lose situation. Have fun!
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Thanks AJ
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Has anyone listened to a LP125sa and the Classic62 in their systems?
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola tj-sully,

I have. My taste is forward the LP125-SA. It is not only power, it did show better control to the speaker that we were listening. Focal JMLabs as I recall, and the sound was very nice on both power amps. The KT120s tubes did their magic and the extra power was for much better control. Not only at the bass, it showed more extended wider stage...both have the CJ signature, and I could live with both power amps. The dynamics are another thing that I remember.
Both have an outstanding musicality. All depends the efficiency of the speakers, how loud are you going to listen to the music and also what type of music is your preference.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

One thing in favor of the 62 is that it’s a current model.

Another thing in favor of the 62 is the weight, although this may be a nonissue if you don’t need to move or ship it.

I’ve historically been in favor of the CJ amp with more power in most comparisons. This is based on a lot of listening, but it is very subjective.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yep, used both these power amps to drive my previous Quads ESL 2905's with the ACT2 preamp.

Although I really enjoyed the overall musicality of the classic 62 with the EL34's, it didn't have the power and finesse of the much larger LP125sa. The EL34 is a beautiful tube, that lush midrange, extended airy highs, and fast tight bass is fabulous and wholesome. However, turn things up a bit, and it loses tight grip and control, mids start to break up and things go out of focus... also very dependent on type of speakers. I would definitely partner the Classic 62 with smaller monitor type speakers, like ProAc, Hatbeths, Triangle, Sonus Faber or small monitors from B&W. These are much easier to drive, far more efficient and present benign loads. Any speakers with high efficiency ratings of 90dB and above, especially hybrids or active speakers, will benefit immensely from the Classic 62.

The Classic 62SE on the other hand, can drive difficult loads with ease and have more current to offer. The 62SE also uses KT120's, so it's very hard to push these tubes into distortion unless things get pretty loud.

The 62SE will only struggle in driving notorious impedence curves, inefficient speakers in large rooms, there will be a strain on the power supplies and output stage. This is where the LP125SA, just like Ronnie Coleman will say, "yeah buddy light weight!" And suddenly lift over 400Lbs! That's the LP125SA, no sweat, yeah buddy light weight!

OTOH, if you listen soft to moderate, the Classic 62 rated at pure 50w is probably all you may ever need to "enjoy music."
It's all about enjoying those fine tunes, it really is! What you want is first of all, an effortless drive, no strain on the power amp according to your listening habits, pure natural music and a well balanced presence of soundstage depth and inner detail, along with that fantastic sense of musical truth. The most natural overtones within a given space must be properly formed within the soundstage in front of you.

If this is going to be a much larger room, plenty of space and further listening distance, plus your listening habits are moderate to loud then obviously the more powerful amp will suit better. With either one, there's no downside to anything, between EL34's and KT120's it's a highly personal preference. You'll have to audition to determine which one you prefer, unfortunately we cannot decide that for you.

Hope it all goes well.
Cheers, RJ
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Hey guys, thanks for all the comments and perspectives. Really appreciate it.

I am currently using a Classic 62 in my main system, driving a pair of highly efficient Klipsch Cornwall IV’s. It works great!

I don’t think I really “need” the st125sa in this set up….but…I also have other speakers…and soon to have a pair of Harbeth 30.2XD’s - and while the impedance load of these Harbeths is decent, evidently not dipping below 6ohms, the efficiency rating is quite low at about 85db - so…thinking the 125SA will be a better fit. Especially as my room is moderately large at 34x15 feet.

I think I will proceed with the buy - and try the 125 with the Cornwalls. There’s no downside! The upside is, if the 125 sounds as good as the 62 with the Cornwalls - I can sell the 62. We shall see!!

The beautiful and most exciting twist is I am also getting a ACT2 in mint shape. Can’t friggin wait. I hope the deal goes through. Should know in a week or so.

Btw, music tastes are rooted in acoustic.

TJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

My best advice for you is: let your ears decide. They are your final judges. Also, they tell if you are going to be happy with the sound quality that you are getting now or not. Just trust in them.

Music is art, and CJ is art too. There are so many good choices out there, but only one is CJ. This is a personal liking and personal feelings too. If you find yourself tapping the floor with your foot along the rhythm of the music, you are in the right track.

What I do like regarding the sound quality, and this is very important, does not means that you must like it too. Of course we could coincide with our liking...we are seeking the best and it is also related to our budget.

Your decisions are in the right track. Quality has not regret!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Right on Roberto.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Thanks TJ,

Your new speakers are a little power hungry than what you have now and an extra power would be a good benefit to have. Extra power is like to have a bigger motor in your car. I will be easier to drive to climb the hills with the extra power and will make the your driving smoother...as driving effortless.

Happy listening!
tj-sully
Regular
Regular

Post by tj-sully »

Totally agree Roberto. The 30.2’s would seem to enjoy more power.

But…as of today, it looks like I am moving on the ACT2 and the Harbeths only. For amplification, I will give my Classic 62 a run and see how she rides.