Rare find - MF2275 SE

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Rare find - MF2275 SE

Post by AnotherJohnson »

https://tmraudio.com/components/power-a ... gle-ended/

I owned an MF2550SE and an MF2275. Both were exceptional solid state amps, descended from the McCormack (sp?) side of the house.

I’ve not owned an MF2275SE. If I’d not just bought the Levinson 5805, I’d jump on this in a heart beat. These are extremely rare, and as an SE version, I can just about guarantee that it will be special.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Rare find - MF2275 SE

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Mmm... that is interesting! Never knew CJ offered this one in SE version. I was under the impression only the MF2550SE was offered in SE version.

With higher efficiency speakers, this would be a very good combination for a solid and musical drive in CJ amplification. Great stuff!
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve never seen an MF2275SE before this one. But CJ does acknowledge them.

From the CJ website:

For those wishing to take the musical experience a step further there are available special “SE” versions of these amplifiers which achieve further refinement in imaging, focus, and detail by upgrading a dozen or more critical capacitors to our proprietary CJD Teflon hybrid capacitors and a couple of dozen resistors to precision metal foil types.

They build in batches. In the case of the CA150, about 10% were SE models. The 2275 is pretty similar to the amp in the CA150.

If this had showed up for sale before I bought the 5805, I would have bought it. I don’t regret buying the 5805, but I would have loved to try this. I’d have gone for the 2275 SE, and started looking for an ET3SE to pair with it. As it’s turned out, I am very pleased with the 5805, so the course has been positive. I learned a bit about Levinson and have been genuinely impressed with it. Especially the resident MC phono.

Although $2999 seems high for a 2275, it is an SE model, and I think the price is a fair one based on my experience with other SE models.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

TMR also has an ad for a 2275 SE on eBay. The offered price is $2,970 and they have the list price as $6,150. It may be a different unit because the unit's age, SKU, and serial number are all different from the ad you linked. So they may actually have two or they just did a poor copy-editing job on the advertisements.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334120818703
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They’ve been inundated with “new” inventory. And they’ve expanded so they probably have training issues.

On the bright side, they did honor their written policies when I returned the MA5200.

I’ve been surprised at how quickly some stuff comes and goes. They had a VPI TNT Jr on inventory for less than a day, for example.

Sometimes their prices seem high. But they’ve stood behind their policies in my experience… so far.

Caveat emptor is always wise advice. But I’ve been pleased over several years and many transactions, both buying and selling.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The serial numbers differ by 1.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I bought my PS Audio DS DAC from them at an excellent price. It was supposed to be used for only 8 hours and between the original packaging and its pristine condition they could've said it was new, jacked the price and I would never have known. Also bought a Pranawire power cord from them, used, in very good condition. These things are so rare on the used market but their price was fair.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:14 pm The serial numbers differ by 1.
Yes, I know but their SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) is completely different so I'm still not sure whether we're talking about one unit or two.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

There are a few differences. Guessing, the one on eBay may have been a dealer demo. They claim 25 hours of use.

The other one includes fuses. I may get on the desktop and look at larger pictures to see if the serial numbers are readable on the back.

Both are rated 9/10.

One in service 4 years. The other 5.

If I were interested in buying one, I’d probably call them and ask … after eBay collected sales tax, the eBay unit is more OTD, but that depends on the state.

The eBay unit does not appear on their inventory.

Oconee Audio sold the regular non SE model for $1500 as NOS after Spearit closed out. But prices have been higher since Oconee’s inventory was depleted. I’ve seen them in the $2k range, and would gladly give another $1000 for the SE.

TMR has expanded this year, and it’s not the small operation that it once was. A phone call would certainly be in order for a serious buyer.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

In any event, if the power level suits you, and if you’re not put off by CJ’s abandonment of their solid state product line, and if you like CJ’s 2550/2275 sound signature (which seems very neutral to me), it could scratch your itch.

I compared my 2550SE and my 2275 to my LP275Ms when I had them overlapping. They all sound great in isolation, but direct comparison led to my ranking them LP275, 2550, 2275. Of course this would be expected … it is in order of price.

They’re all capable. I thought the solid state amps were a bit more brittle. The tube treble was less grainy, though the SS wasn’t grainy per se.

I’d better stop while I’m ahead … I could end up with another amp if I’m not careful. 🤣🤣🤣
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

The two times I dealt with them I was very satisfied.

PS Audio has gone sales direct with no other authorized sellers for new product. However, I believe PSA uses TMR for whatever they take in trade. It probably has something to do with TMR's expansion.
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Both amps were off inventory (sold) within a day or three of posting.

Meanwhile TMR’s “new arrivals” pages continue to turn over.

All their CJ inventory is gone for now.

There is a very nice AR LS-22 with remote for $1799. This would have seemed high two or three years ago, but it seems like a decent price today. Studying the remote, I don’t think it’s got the invert function that I’ve seen on some AR preamps. It is in the days before power cord mania struck. The very stout power cord is built in. I prefer that, but it does make it harder for someone who wants to roll power cords.

The LS-22 was released in 1996. So it’s late 20th century. I’ve owned other AR pieces from that era and enjoyed them.

The audio circuit is tube (8 6922s), but the power supply is solid state. The schematic and parts list are both available and very clear.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

And yes, I am aware that the LS-22 did not receive a lot of love when it was introduced. CJ and Krell offerings were preferred in comparison.

But an old system is an old system, and you never know how synergies will play out when mixing gear.

The only piece I regret having sold as I reminisce this morning is my SP20. I wish I had that one back.
gregborowski
Advanced
Advanced

Post by gregborowski »

I wound up buying the MF2275SE from TMR. It arrives tomorrow and I will post thoughts. I am planning to use it to drive the sub towers of my SRS system (at least until an MF2250SE comes available)!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Congrats on the purchase. Definitely let us know what you think once you have it in the system.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If you got the one with only 25 hours on it, give it a chance to run and settle in. At 200 hours you will begin to have a good idea about its true potential.

Someone suggested recently that electronics don’t really change with running in. Instead it was conjectured that the listener gets used to the sound.

I know this is not the case in my own case because I’ll often leave the new gear running in another building, only going to listen occasionally. Changes from visit to visit can be positive OR negative, but the overall trend for CJ SE level gear has been positive.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

TMR still seems like a good place to buy, but they are now large enough to be collecting sales tax, and the offers to buy are looking low to me. It must be working for them because their inventory is strong. But you’ve got to pay even more attention if you’re offering them something for cash.