CJ PV7

The PV-1 to now...
goonybird
Pro
Pro

CJ PV7

Post by goonybird »

Currently using a PV10A and quite happy.
But a PV7 has come on the market, and various comments appear to rate the PV6 and PV7 as higher quality
I know the PV10 retailed at about $995 new, but can't find a retail new price for the PV7 (I guess it was a lot more?)
So might have a punt on it but any advice on original price woudl be good and advice on keep PV10 or go PV7
Thanks
stef
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: CJ PV7

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’d keep the 10.

The 5, 8, and 11 were the top of the PV line, each in their day.

The 6, 7, 9 and 10 were more modest efforts.

If you’re buying on features, pick the one you like.

If you’re buying to complete a collection, pick the one you don’t have.

If you’re buying for sound, listen to both. They are both very long in the tooth. Either may have cap issues, pot issues, tube issues etc.

I owned the 5, 8 and 11. Retail for each was in the upper teens to $2kish range. I know the 5 was about $1500, and the 8 and 11 were more. The others were lower cost options.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Here’s a review for the 10. Can’t find one for the 7.

I’d keep the 10 until I could find a 11. Or better still, until I could find an ET7.

https://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/790/index.html
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Wow PV7... that's really old school. Can't even remember what it looks like, yet alone sound like.

My experience with older gear on CJ preamps, only goes as far as PV8,10, and 12 then onto PV14 & 15 all of which I've owned and used in various system configs. Along with their Premier line up, starting with the ART preamp, and having experienced the success from each model upwards, I would definitely recommend the PV10AL. I think the AL series was the last of its kind in the PV10 range. It offered less gizmo's, simpler signal paths and with better quality parts, so basically something to consider.

PV7 ... that's pretty much going back in time. Then, again if you like that kind of vintage signature sound, perhaps that's what you prefer! See how it goes, you never know until you try it out. Worth the experience I reckon.

Cheers, RJ
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

Thanks my PV10 is a late version without the Balance control so probably stay with that.
The problem with later CJ preamps is a lack of Phono input stage. I sold My EAR 834P tube Phono stage as the CJ PV10A didn't sound any worse...
I did vow not to touch the PV10 but have bypass coupling caps as per PV10B and added a motorised (remote Alps pot) but also need to fit a small indicator led in the Volume control Knob so I can see the level set from across the room.
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I love those mods. What a great fate for a $995 piece of tube gear.

Maybe you would enjoy hot rodding a PV7.