Using a Variac to power amp your CJ amp

From tubes to solid state.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Re: Using a Variac to power amp your CJ amp

Post by MLAS »

We've had a superb seemingly compression free broadcaster FIP (Paris) on our cable. That was the only broadcast I cared to listen to without commercials or idle DJ's. Basically a mix of Classical, Jazz and good Popmusic. Now our cable provider stops FM forgood and I'm not allowed by our community to place a decent antenna on my roof. So end of story for my tuners. I sold earlier my black Yamaha CT-7000 FM tuner which I loved as much at the outside as the inside. Sold it for just 500 USD ...
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I love that classic 80's style of brushed aluminum with a colorful band meter. Yamaha is making some new audiophile grade equipment in the same style, mainly their stereo amps (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_v ... ml#d366099). I would love to own one just for the looks.

I think FM is pretty much a dead format for us audiofools. I know there are websites that stream broadcast radio so you may be able to find that channel online now. However, I'm sure it's going to be dynamically compressed, leveled, and transmitted out 128 kbps mp3,.... so probably not worth the effort.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

admin wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:06 am I love that classic 80's style of brushed aluminum with a colorful band meter. Yamaha is making some new audiophile grade equipment in the same style, mainly their stereo amps (https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_v ... ml#d366099). I would love to own one just for the looks.

I think FM is pretty much a dead format for us audiofools. I know there are websites that stream broadcast radio so you may be able to find that channel online now. However, I'm sure it's going to be dynamically compressed, leveled, and transmitted out 128 kbps mp3,.... so probably not worth the effort.
Regretfully, I think you're right there. Still have my first Yamaha amp the A1. Bought in in a store in 1980 where the sold also their piano's.
After I cleaned its pot with Deoxit I destroyed it with my MM by shorting it out accidentally. Now it is just sitting there dead...
MLAS
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by MLAS »

Mr Carlson agrees to give the tubes, valves for our man down under, a longer lifespan reduce the filament VAC (most old CJ gear runs the filament directly of the transformer 6.5V tap) my 18 tubes do, you've to lower your voltage in Continental Europe I think that went from 220 to 240VAC. In the UK they already had 240VAC smart guys!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzpVhCL5aPg

Platevoltage of "just" 1500 Volts... I have only a B+ of just 516 Volts...