Chocolate or Vanilla?

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
JoshT289
Advanced
Advanced

Chocolate or Vanilla?

Post by JoshT289 »

Here is a picture of my system. It's a bit in transition as I've gone from a hybrid two channel/home theater setup to one that is two channel only. That Dynaudio center channel speaker will go once the installers come to wire the video sources' HDMI cables to go directly to the TV behind the wall, remove the bracket, and clean things up for painting. Before this set up, I also had a Krell Foundation processor and, for center and rear speakers, a McCormack HT3. In due course (read: "not soon enough for my wife" :lol:), I will sell them together with the Dynaudio and a couple of Klipsch surround speakers (not pictured).

One reason I made the switch was to simplify a bit and clean up some of the rat's nest of cables. Another reason is I found I was fighting one hum or another from time to time (gone now). But the big impetus was my decision to FINALLY get a tube power amp! I still love my tried and true CJ MF2250, which I bought way back in 2000 or 2001 (pre A version). But I've wanted to also have a tube amp for a long time and had no space with the HT setup.

My assumption was that I'd get a Rogue Audio Stereo 100 to match my RP-5 preamp, but I was also looking at other options, including EL34 or EL84 amps, and, potentially, a SET amp. I figured if I was going to get an amp with 6550s, KT88s or KT120s, I'd opt for the Stereo 100. But then a fellow I met online reached out to me to see if I would be interested in buying one of his Premier 11As, and it called out my name. The other components are Devore Fidelity Super Nines with REL T7 subwoofers, a VPI Scout with a Dynavector DV20x2L, Simaudio Moon 280D networked DAC, Roon Nucleus (not pictured), Oppo BDP-105D and tiny LG DVD/BluRay player that's multizone.

Oh, the chocolate or vanilla title? That's just because I love how the Premier 11A sounds in this system, but I also still love my MF2250, so I will be switching back from time to time depending on the flavor I favor on a given day. :)

IMG_2834.jpg
IMG_2834.jpg (2.88 MiB) Viewed 2418 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Chocolate or Vanilla?

Post by admin »

Great looking setup. There is nothing wrong with a hybrid home theater and audio setup. I have both in my room although I completely separate the gear. I like listening to music and my wife and I like watching movies in there. That way the same space gets dual use.

Did you take the picture from the listening position? If so, do the speakers sound best in the current location without any toe in? I know some people prefer no toe in while others like to "aim" them directly to the listener.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one Josh,
An absolute classic ! The Prem11A will definitely deliver some fine tunes. Just remember to look after it well and keep those tubes a healthy glow.

Have a great one,
WOOF! RJ
JoshT289
Advanced
Advanced

Post by JoshT289 »

admin wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:12 am Great looking setup. There is nothing wrong with a hybrid home theater and audio setup. I have both in my room although I completely separate the gear. I like listening to music and my wife and I like watching movies in there. That way the same space gets dual use.

Did you take the picture from the listening position? If so, do the speakers sound best in the current location without any toe in? I know some people prefer no toe in while others like to "aim" them directly to the listener.
Thanks! You have a keen eye for detail!

Yes, I had a hybrid system for about 20 years and am only now cutting back to two channel only. With the Foundation in place, the only shared component really was the MF2250 as I used the passive HT bypass in the Rogue RP-5 (with it turned off). Obviously the L and R main speakers and subs were shared too. But the two circuits were mostly independent of each other. Recently, I've decided to cut back on clutter and simplify. Video sources still sound great in PCM stereo via a toslink cable from the TV into the DAC and also keeps video sources isolated from music only sources.

As far as toe in, I did experiment and found that John DeVore's advice to use little to none is exactly right for the Super Nines. They are a lively speaker and the straight ahead position seems to result in the most balanced sound and best imaging and soundstage.

Thanks for your comments!
JoshT289
Advanced
Advanced

Post by JoshT289 »

Big Dog RJ wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:21 am Nice one Josh,
An absolute classic ! The Prem11A will definitely deliver some fine tunes. Just remember to look after it well and keep those tubes a healthy glow.

Have a great one,
WOOF! RJ

Thanks Big Dog!