Genalex Gold Lions E88CC vs EH6922 Gold pin

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Genalex Gold Lions E88CC vs EH6922 Gold pin

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Greetings from down unda...

I was trying to find those earlier posts on these tubes but couldn't seem to find it, so I'll make a new post.
Been listening to the system since 8pm, now it's just after midnight. I noticed something quite interesting with the two signature sounds of these tubes.

1. Genalex Gold Lions E88CC:
Seems to have a hot midrange, that is very strong and powerful midrange. Vocals are strong, portrayed forwards with great rhythm, force and liveliness. The bass is lower, goes deeper and has a sense of great depth. It captures all the essence in LF detail. The highs are extended and go further when called for.

2. Electro Harmonix EH6922:
Sounds much more tamed... compared to the above. The highs are smoother, probably more natural, the mids are nicely laid out, very relaxing and sort of puts you to sleep like a lullaby, and the bass is well balanced. Not too much of anything.

Now, I'm wondering whether the Genalex is a JF influence, and hence the reason why he prefers and recommends this tube. It's that lively kick it delivers, just like his latest ART amplifiers. They deliver a very live, natural and strong presence. Whereas the EH tube is pretty much C&J old school. Very well balanced, fine detail and smoother control. CJ doesn't use the EH tube as much in their newer designs but in the past, nearly every CJ amplifier had an EH brand tube in it. Is the CJ signature sound changing for good...? I don't know.

I really don't prefer one over the other, rather I absolutely love both! So I've decided to change over to EH for now and really enjoying these fine tunes! I'll use these tubes till they wear out and then change over to Genalex once again. Basically swapping every 1000-2000hrs or so I guess, whenever a change is required.

I noticed this difference only today as I was going through my spare tubes stock, came across the EH6922 gold pins and dropped then in and oh my! Very very nice indeed.

Anyway, was just wondering if anyone else who's using the 6922 tube either as driver/phase inverter tubes or input tubes, have come across similar differences. Would be interesting to know your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers, and oh! Do enjoy those fine tunes!
Woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Genalex Gold Lions E88CC vs EH6922 Gold pin

Post by admin »

Possibly this thread?: https://www.conradjohnsonowners.com/vie ... enalex#top

I too often find that I will make a change in my system and it's not necessarily better or worse, just different. That is one great thing about tube equipment is that you can easily play around with the sound by trying different tube types. It's also nice to have an extra set of tubes available in case of failure and not having to have down time if one goes bad.

Thanks for the review, always like these more in depth comparisons.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I am with you here too, both are doing a great job with the quality sound. My flavour is more toward the Genalex...I love it's warmth and the detail. Excellent signal to noise ratio...my system at night is dead quiet. No hiss, no hum...just wonderful musicians playing here. Since I did install a Genalex, I stop the tube rolling. I asked my self the why I did it, and my self to me the response was: because you are happy, your ears do like what they are hearing. (lol).

Right on my dear RJ...the sound on both is good as Admin pointed out. My personal liking is more toward the Genalex, because I find more harmonic texture with it...the other is more thin, lacks the strong fat body on several musical notes...some bass player musicians use this effect...this is just my appreciation.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

My preference/prejudice was always old stock tubes. Another caveat is this was almost 10 years ago and may not reflect current production. Finally, the 6922EH were not gold pin but other than that I'm not sure how the regular 6922EH and the gold pinned version actually differ.

Cut to the finish: I preferred the Genalex. I used both sets of tubes both as the single input tube on the Pr. 140 and six in the Pr.16LS2. I thought the two were most alike when it came to macro-dynmaics. When compared to vintage tubes both were more grainy and tonally less smooth.

All-in-all, of the three Saratov produced tubes (also including the 6H23π-EB) my preference was for the Genalex.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

It looks that we are in the same boat. I stopped doing tube rolling. Why? As Admin said before, it is not that sound better, they do sound different. I always use the food liking as an analogy. I do like spicy food, other don't. I can stand the capper flavour, but this spice is not my favourite. Other could be eating cappers every day.

Tubes are very temperamental (me)...some days you just love what you are hearing and the next day, you do not. But this is me, not the tubes or the program material is not my mood at that moment for the type of music that I am listening. Once I do find the right type of music, I fell myself tapping the floor with my foot, and felling happy. The mood could be for classical or jazz music...sometimes I listen to pop music. Latin music is for party time. I must confess that I am most of the time, listening to classical music. Jazz is my second and into these type of music, there are so many musicians.

Now regarding the tubes, yes, you can find the ones that you like them most over others, having the same number...they provide a different sound quality...this is a thing that you can not do with SS. You have that sound and that's it. Tube rolling makes you to find what flavour you are seeking.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Funnily enough,

I'm listening to vinyl at the moment. System has been running since 8pm, now it's nearly 2am...

I actually swapped back to the Genalex tubes, oh yeah! Definitely tighter bass and beautiful bass lines that you can follow closely. The mids are pretty strong as I had described earlier, and the highs are pretty much the same, not major differences there.

As I was listening at length to the digital front last night into the wee hours of the morning, I had placed in the EH's. Everything seemed much smoother or should I say, just right! Nothing of too much and it sort of balanced the digital playback very nicely, so I'm thinking perhaps the EH are better off with the digital domain... I don't really know.

All I do know is both are pretty darn good. The Genalex do have a slight edge over its presence, authority and control. Whereas the EH is just a beautiful sound. So might as well enjoy both. Now, that would be like having Keira Knightly on one side and Jennifer Hawkins on the other side. For which one is Genalex and which one's EH... not really sure, ha ha!
Both are outstanding gorgeous!

Cheers maties!
RJ
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Well last night I did the same thing. And found myself using the Genalex gold pins at the input of the power amp. The gain did change a little too. There are tubes with different gain, with the same number and same brand. Very rare, I think. The quality sound remains and the bass is where the Genalex is the clear winner.

I still play electric bass, and own a Beatle Hofner violin shape. Also have another with 5 strings. I use more often the violin...the weight is nothing if you do a comparison with the 5 strings, and my back loves this. Anyway, the sound that I am getting is very accurate. The bass is robust and I can feel the bass player effect with it, having certain musical notes leaving them with its own resonances...this is great. Also, I do understand the fingering.

I am more into digital DSD files. I think that 44.1KH/16Bit rate is in the past. DSD 256 is in some recordings, over the top show off, and my liking is DSD 128 native. I have all the music in hard drives...and a lot of music thanks to God. Enjoy all those fabulous tunes!

I wish to all of you a very happy listening!