Premier 16LS vs Premier 17LS2

The PV-1 to now...
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Premier 16LS vs Premier 17LS2

Post by Truth71 »

I've got an opportunity to buy both but cannot listen to do a direct comparison. Interested in Forum Members experience/viewpoints. Also FYI- the Premier 16LS had a repair by a knowledgeable tech/ but 2 proprietary CJD caps were replaced with high quality "equivalent" substitutes.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Premier 16LS vs Premier 17LS2

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I would go for the 17.

Replacing the CJD proprietary caps with “equivalent” will reduce the resale value, so if you choose that route, be sure to negotiate a suitable discount.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I essentially owned the opposites of your choices: first I had the 17LS and then the 16LS2. Both were excellent. The 17LS2 is outfitted with the CJ Teflon capacitors. While I've never heard them in that application I did have a Premier 140 amp upgraded with their C1 Teflon caps and the improvement in both clarity and frequency extension both in the bass and treble were readily apparent. This lead to an even better soundstage than the amp had previously..

While I did prefer the 16LS2 over the 17LS I'd go with the 17LS2 given your choice. In this case the capacitor differences being the deciding factor. As an added benefit the 17LS2 utilizes only four tubes to the six in the 16LS model.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that's definitely a better choice the Prem 17LS.

Also owned both back then, during the same time we had the full range of Premier series amplifiers- Prem11A to Prem8's driving Apogee's and Maggie's. Then came in the ART preamp and although that stayed with us in our primary reference system, both the Prem 16LS & 17LS were still fine pre-amplifiers controlling those big monoblocks.

The 16LS is definitely one of those intriguing things, it looks really cool with that specially designed tube compartment and when it lights up, oh boy is that a treat! However, there are quite a few more tubes in this unit compared to the 17LS, which has fewer tubes. Therefore, maintenance costs will be lower and replacement tubes are easier to maintain.

In the 17LS just take off that top little cover in the middle and your good to change tubes. Tonality wise, both were similar and on par with superior quality recordings. However, the differences are very subtle. You mentioned that some of the caps were changed on the 16LS with substitute equivalents, that's fine but it will not be an original CJ presentation.

We did a similar mod on the PFR after multiple caps started failing due to age and tropical conditions. The PFR although still sounded wonderful after changing those critical caps to high grade equivalents from Hovland never sounded like an original CJ. At the end a customer gladly bought it knowing of the mods, he didn't mind and we told the truth, later on he settled towards the 17LS. His main amplifiers were the mighty Mark Levinson monoblocks driving a pair of Infinity Epsilon's. It was a superb system at the time. The CJ 17LS made everything just sound right, a perfect blend of balance, not too much of anything, as sometimes those big Mark Levinson amplifiers can go out of control...

Nice one mate, if you can get hold of the 17LS, it will be a fine combination.
Cheers and all the best!
RJ
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

I don't own any of the 16 or 17. I would pick 17LS2 for its loaded with a bunch of Teflon caps. I may consider the 16LS if it is stock without any modification unless the upgrade is done by the CJ factory. Although the service is done appropriately by a certified tech with equivalent parts, there is a likelihood that the component would not have the same signature CJ house sound.
Smiggsy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Smiggsy »

Although I've never owned a 16LS, I upgraded from a PV12 to a PV14, then finally to a 17LS2. The 17 was like a veil being lifted, so much more clarity etc.