Conrad Johnson PF2 Low output MC Cartridge

The PV-1 to now...
camiablue
Frequent User
Frequent User

Conrad Johnson PF2 Low output MC Cartridge

Post by camiablue »

Hello, I am an owner of CJ PF2 pairs with CJ MF2300. Love the phono stage. I am upgrading my turntable from an old Rega Planar 3 to the current Rega P6 with the Ania MC cartridge. Was wondering if using the 52db gain is enough or do I need a step up transformer. I tried to call support at CJ and it’s been a week and no one calls me back yet. Appreciate any input. I won’t get the new Regs for another week or so. Thought I would buy a step up if I have to before it arrives.

Cheers, Kevin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Conrad Johnson PF2 Low output MC Cartridge

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The UK Rega site says it’s got 350 uV output, or .35 mV.

That’s right on the border for 52 dB of gain.

It will depend on the efficiency of your speakers, the characteristics of your room, and your preferred listening levels.

If it were me and I had 52dB of gain available, I would not buy a step up transformer until I’d tried this combo in my system.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Kevin,

Nice combination there, MF2300 and the PF2.
AJ is correct and good advice, 52dB is just on the fence. Depending on the efficiency of the speakers, it may or may not be enough... also depends on how loud you go.

If you want to crank things up a bit and your speakers are not so efficient: rating in the 85dB to 88dB that's generally pretty inefficient. If anything above 89dB or over 90dB that would suit better. See how it goes, according to your listening habits / preferences you'll know straight away if it's adequate.

Cheers, have a good one
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As others have mentioned, I would first try it out and see if you need a transformer as you may be fine with the current setup.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camiablue
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by camiablue »

Thank you very much for your input. I have a pair of Polk LSi9. It does have a rating of 88db. The Rega is coming on Thursday. I will give it a try before doing anything else. Again, thank you for your help!!
camiablue
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by camiablue »

By the way, I have a chance to pick up a PV9. Would you recommend that I replace the PF2? Would there be a big audio differences? I feel like I am in jeopardy of having to keep upgrading my components!! :-)
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

As a previous owner of the PF2, I would say that this will be a tuff one to answer. The PV9 is actually slightly older than the PF2 so you have to worry about component ware. If you have a perfectly working PF2 and were trading to a PV9, my biggest concern would be that the PV9 is in a condition where it doesn't need to be recapped. The PV9 is tube vs the SS of the PF2. So I think it depends on what kind of sound you like. I really enjoyed my PF2 when I was running it in my system, but I enjoy the tube sound more. If I had the choice of the two (in perfectly good condition), I would go with the PV9.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
camiablue
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by camiablue »

Thank you. Just like you, I really enjoy my PF2. I have tube headphone amplifier and like that very much too. I may buy the PV9 just to try it out. It was just serviced by CJ so I think it should be in good condition. I can't see myself selling the PF2 though. Will see. Thanks again.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

They are both very nice bits of Audio Americana. I think that’s a factor in why we like them so well.

If the PV 9 has a phono stage, it is likely to be set up for high output MM cartridges. You would definitely need an SET then if you want to use the Ania.
camiablue
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by camiablue »

I didn't think about that. I will have to consider that one.

Thanks
camiablue
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by camiablue »

The Rega came in. So far, I was able to listen to some of my LPs (Norah Jones, Blondie, Dire Straits, Sam Cooke) at about 10 o'clock on the volume dial. And the music was a joy to listen to. And my understanding is it will get even better as it burns in. The only one that sounds really underwhelming is Vessel by Twenty One Pilots. Maybe because of its heavy bass? I had to crank that up to 12 o'clock and it still sound veiled and a bit muddy. Didn't quite have that pop when compare to my flac version through my $100 Dac. I thought I would give an update.

As for the PV9, I had an email back and forth with Keith at CJ and he recommends that I stay with my PF2 or go with one of the newer tube preamp. So I think I will keep a look out for a ET3 or ET3SE locally.

Thank you for your help.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

camiablue wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:54 pm The Rega came in. So far, I was able to listen to some of my LPs (Norah Jones, Blondie, Dire Straits, Sam Cooke) at about 10 o'clock on the volume dial. And the music was a joy to listen to. And my understanding is it will get even better as it burns in. The only one that sounds really underwhelming is Vessel by Twenty One Pilots. Maybe because of its heavy bass? I had to crank that up to 12 o'clock and it still sound veiled and a bit muddy. Didn't quite have that pop when compare to my flac version through my $100 Dac. I thought I would give an update.

As for the PV9, I had an email back and forth with Keith at CJ and he recommends that I stay with my PF2 or go with one of the newer tube preamp. So I think I will keep a look out for a ET3 or ET3SE locally.

Thank you for your help.
Some LPs are mastered and pressed better than others. The Norah Jones and Dire Straits LPs are usually pretty good.

There’s no helping some LPs. Maybe your copy of Vessel falls into that group.

I agree with the idea that a preamp from the current century would be a good upgrade. But then you also have to get a stand alone phono preamp, or a plug in phono card. These add significant cost to most budgets.

It might be worthwhile to just enjoy your current system. When your budget allows and you’ve decided on phono cartridge gain, buy a good compatible stand alone phono preamp. Then later, when budget allows, consider an ET3 or ET7.

And you’re right that a new cartridge takes a while to get to singing. The suspension components seem to “break in.”