Using KT120 tubes in Premier 11a

From tubes to solid state.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Using KT120 tubes in Premier 11a

Post by Truth71 »

Has CJ ‘officially” ok d use of KT 120 tubes in Premier 11a?

If so, are any circuit modifications necessary or is it a “drop in”?

What difference (s) do they make in the sound?

The power output/channel?

Thanks
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Using KT120 tubes in Premier 11a

Post by Joe Appierto »

Yes, they have for about 10 years now.

No circuit modifications are needed. Although I used the KT120 back in the day with my 11A I never used the tube cage. It's a tall tube and you will want to make sure there's sufficient clearance in case you do use the cage.

In my experience there was a slightly fuller bass. I was in the minority in preferring the New Sensor Tung-Sol 6550 and NS Genalex Gold Lion KT88 to their KT120 but as I say, I was in the minority especially when preferring the NS T-S 6550.

Unless the amplifier circuit is specifically designed for the KT120 (and the 11A was designed around the SED =C= 6550C) you won't get the full benefit of the KT120's increased plate dissipation. That having been said there were subjective reports among users of a more powerful presentation with the KT120.

All of this is just my 2¢ naturally but hope this helps anyway.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

My Premier 11a is C1 Teflon updated. I have Svetlana Winged C’s and I have Sovtek Platinum 6550’s; the Svetlana being the better of the two. Sovteks being the fuller mid and mid bass 6550. That said, the KT120’s sound best with my Teflon updated Premier 11. The Premier 11 is more musical than the Premier 12 monoblocks I also run. As Joe has said, they are sanctioned by CJ; just call and ask Jeff and he will confirm for you.
Truth71
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Truth71 »

Jahati513,
Can you comment on the difference pre and post C1 Teflon update of your Premier 11a?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Joe Appierto wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:30 pm Yes, they have for about 10 years now.

No circuit modifications are needed. Although I used the KT120 back in the day with my 11A I never used the tube cage. It's a tall tube and you will want to make sure there's sufficient clearance in case you do use the cage.

In my experience there was a slightly fuller bass. I was in the minority in preferring the New Sensor Tung-Sol 6550 and NS Genalex Gold Lion KT88 to their KT120 but as I say, I was in the minority especially when preferring the NS T-S 6550.

Unless the amplifier circuit is specifically designed for the KT120 (and the 11A was designed around the SED =C= 6550C) you won't get the full benefit of the KT120's increased plate dissipation. That having been said there were subjective reports among users of a more powerful presentation with the KT120.

All of this is just my 2¢ naturally but hope this helps anyway.
Hey Joe mate,
Nice one with those trials and trying out different tubes to achieve a custom sound, that's exactly what I've done so far.

BTW, I can certainly see why you would prefer the Gold Lion KT88's, these are the same brand of tubes JF recommends on the ART27A. The musicality signature is superb! It's right up there.

How are those Marantz going by the way? Have you managed to get hold of any other CJ gear since your last parting with the CA200... Trust that all is well with you and your part of the woods.

Cheers, RJ
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

Hi RJ,

Things are okay here, thanks for asking and I hope with you as well.

Still using the Marantz monoblocks and while not in the same league as the CJ equipment I've used, they're okay. Still have the CA200 and it's packed and sealed in its double box remaining unsold. If I didn't think I'd be pushing my heart extracting it and setting it up again, I would have done so because I do miss it for its sound and the flexibility it afforded me. Luckily the volume control on the PS Audio DS DAC is functioning as the "preamp" in my system. I can run it either directly via its Bridge with the Ethernet connection to my router or via coax from the Oppo 105D. The latter can function as a streamer either wirelessly or wired via Ethernet to the router, disc spinner or with external storage devices via USB and then handing off to the DS DAC. Because of its FPGA architecture the DAC loses no resolution at less than full output.

Be well,'
Joe
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Cheers Joe!

As long as you're truly enjoying the music to the fullest, that's all that really matters.
Have a good one now, RJ