Preamp PV10A how many part list are there?

Got a problem? See if other members can help you out. Registered users can download schematics, manuals and pictures.
Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

Preamp PV10A how many part list are there?

Post by Toberius »

I'm a bit confuse with the part list what I found around the net about this model of preamp, the PV10A.

In some part list of PV10A model have used 4uF of capacitors in signal path and in the model I have, I found 2uF of capacitors installed in the same positition.

There are another mod from CJ of this model PV10A besides to the existing one?

Cheers.
Premier 11A - PV10A - Harbeth M30.1 - Bryston DBA3 - NUC6i7KYK runs Gentoo RT for digital streaming TIDAL and flac files - Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 - Thorens TD126 MKIII - MC30 cartdrige - Ortofon T-30
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Preamp PV10A how many part list are there?

Post by AnotherJohnson »

A PV10a is old enough to have been recapped. Are you sure the 2 uF are stock?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Toberius »

Yes, this unit have 2uF stocks brand SCR both in the main and on the phono.
Premier 11A - PV10A - Harbeth M30.1 - Bryston DBA3 - NUC6i7KYK runs Gentoo RT for digital streaming TIDAL and flac files - Sonic Frontiers SFT-1 - Thorens TD126 MKIII - MC30 cartdrige - Ortofon T-30
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I may be wrong on this, but if you see SCR brand caps that may be a recap. A quick google image search shows me some PV10's with the signature white CJ branded caps. Not sure if that white cap's are the recap or if the SCR are? Are you the first owner of the PV10A?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The white caps are likely CJ, but they could be either polypropylene or Teflon. You can’t always tell by looking at them. The weights are different, and that’s the discriminating easy measurement to identify which you’ve got.

I don’t know if SCR were used on PV 10A. PV10 in general was not the top of the PV line when it was offered. The 5 was replaced by the 8, and the 8 by the 11. After the 11, the ordering was less clear.

The only way to know for sure is for you to either call CJ and ask ... or maybe Roberto knows and will offer his insights.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’ve dug around a bit and other PV10 mods seem to indicate that the 2 uF caps were stock.

The schematics are not always correct ... as they may represent the state of the design at one point in time, but others report that there were several versions in the model run that were not distinguished by the addition of letters to the end of PV10.

If it were mine, and I was not going to contact CJ for their recommendation, I’d replace like with like, especially if I thought that the parts installed were original.
Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Toberius »

admin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:41 am I may be wrong on this, but if you see SCR brand caps that may be a recap. A quick google image search shows me some PV10's with the signature white CJ branded caps. Not sure if that white cap's are the recap or if the SCR are? Are you the first owner of the PV10A?
I understand that the SCR brand is CJ stock in the PV10A like white CJ caps. I think those white caps aren't teflon.
This pic is from my PV10A, I am not the first owner.

And this one is from the net.

Toberius
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Toberius »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:14 am The white caps are likely CJ, but they could be either polypropylene or Teflon. You can’t always tell by looking at them. The weights are different, and that’s the discriminating easy measurement to identify which you’ve got.

I don’t know if SCR were used on PV 10A. PV10 in general was not the top of the PV line when it was offered. The 5 was replaced by the 8, and the 8 by the 11. After the 11, the ordering was less clear.

The only way to know for sure is for you to either call CJ and ask ... or maybe Roberto knows and will offer his insights.
Agree, PV10 was entry level from CJ.
AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:44 pm I’ve dug around a bit and other PV10 mods seem to indicate that the 2 uF caps were stock.

The schematics are not always correct ... as they may represent the state of the design at one point in time, but others report that there were several versions in the model run that were not distinguished by the addition of letters to the end of PV10.

If it were mine, and I was not going to contact CJ for their recommendation, I’d replace like with like, especially if I thought that the parts installed were original.
The schematics are fine, the part list is a bit confuse. I think so.