conrad-johnson ART27A

From tubes to solid state.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

conrad-johnson ART27A

Post by joeinid »

We're pleased to note that in their 2020 awards, HiFi+ has named the conrad-johnson ART27A "Power Amplifier of the Year" (HiFi+ issue #190). The commendation write up will be posted to our web site soon.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: conrad-johnson ART27A

Post by admin »

Very nice and well deserved. Great news to have CJ get more exposure to the masses.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Absolutely, could not agree more.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I have a 35 watt pure class A guitar amp, and a very nice, slightly more powerful, class AB guitar amp. Either one sounds great. But there truly is something special about pure class A when you’re trying to achieve smooth, clean tones.

I’m sure the Art27a is quite a beautiful, award worthy amp in the right room with efficient speakers.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, it most certainly is!

Last heard it driving AG Duo XD's, very very nice. Was tempted a few years ago on the Duo's but then came CLX's and investigated on the ART27A but wouldn't do justice with these types of stats. So that was that!

However, with the right setup, near perfect room and carefully selected source gear, efficient speakers will perform flawlessly. They're not pure Class A in terms of a true SET design amplifier, such as Lamm Audio or Aries Ceret or the very fine Elysium amplifiers. However, what JF has done with this particular one utilising push-pull with Class A topology at its finest is truly awe-inspiring to experience. It's a one very fine amplifier indeed. Probably doesn't get any better than this.

If they had a monoblock version of this, I would have them.
Damn, I'll be thrown into the dog house... oh well might as well enjoy the music from the dog house.

Cheers, and a big woofty woof to the ART27A!
CJ's finest level.
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I’m getting ready to build a new dog house ... with a new room for the audio system. This time, since it’s starting from ground zero, the dogs will be even more pleased.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Woof woof! :lol:
Cheers, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Wow! What a write up.

I need to take annual leave to go through that one... so for I just scrolled down to the end, which one to buy paragraph, and that made a whole lot of sense!

Nice one AJ, thanks for sharing. Certainly something to learn from. I'm going to read more of this tomorrow whiles on my break or dozing off on the forklift...

Cheers mate, and enjoy those fine tunes! Class A or not.
Best, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice write up AJ, thanks for sharing.

I read every line several times and went over a few points with my trusted CJ techs, who have done a few Class A bias adjustments, everything seems pretty spot on.

Yes, it's definitely true that having push-pull topology with an ultra-linear output stage, as is the case with CJ's amplifiers, is far more efficient than SET Class A operation. I've never really taken a liking in general towards those SET amplifiers, let alone their exuberant pricing, other than just a handful of brands. Being Lamm Audio and Kondo Audio Note are amongst my favourites, there's just something about them to experience. The maintenance cost is fairly high and keeping an eye on SET tubes requires a lot of time in commitment. I just simply can't be bothered. Hence, the reason why I've just stuck with push-pull my entire journey and continue to be passionate about CJ amplification. It's a marvellous thing!

This may also be another reason why C & J never believed in SET topology, no 300B's or any of those fancy huge SET designs... although there was an attempt / prototype it never took flight.
Well I can see they certainly have their reasons and with JF leading the way, I firmly believe that the ART27A achieving that award was well deserved, it's a phenomenal amplifier!
Like I said, if they had a monoblock version, these would be my ultimate amplifiers to drive the CLX's, something really special.

Learned something new yet again and more to come on these special Class A / AB designs and their operation. Always good to read a tech article that contributes to similar operations done on your own gear, and one that is well written answering pretty standard questions. Good stuff mate!

Once again, thanks for sharing. Now enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah! Finally the one and only ART27A to arrive down unda has been sold! Along with a GATS2.
The customer is based in NZ not in Aussie land, so I'm wondering if this would count as a local sale... I guess it does since both units arrived here first, and obviously now reside in the salubrious climes of NZ.

Both parties who sold the ART27A and GATS2, I happen to know well but neither of them remember what speakers their new owner is using... darn!

Perhaps they should have fitted Teflons in their heads, this would have helped in memory retention...

I'm sending this post to see if the new owner would catch it! As I'm very passionate about tube gear, and especially CJ amplification, and in particular that combination. So it would be great to hear what the owner's impressions are.

The last time I heard this particular combo were driving the AG Duo XD's, and it was outstanding! One of those systems I could have very happily ended with. Perfect load for the ART27A and perfect drive and control for the GAT as well.

Anyhoo, hopefully the owner will sign up on CJO and give us his thoughts.

Until then, do enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ