PreAmp Main Out

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
JoPa1078
Regular
Regular

PreAmp Main Out

Post by JoPa1078 »

Hi again me with a basic question.
My Classic PreAmp has 2 main out connections. Which should I use when I connect just one power amp (Premier 11A)? Is there any difference with the two connections? Do I leave the other one open?
Sorry if I bother the experts with beginner questions, but I want to make it right.
Thnank Jo
Attachments
IMG_7549.jpeg
IMG_7549.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1289 times
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: PreAmp Main Out

Post by AnotherJohnson »

It doesn’t matter, but I would use main out 1.

The other should not be capped. Just ignore it.

If you do use them both simultaneously for two amps, the amps are in parallel.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
JoPa1078
Regular
Regular

Post by JoPa1078 »

thanks
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Oh nice one!

For the love of my sleepy mind... I can't even recall what the rear connections of the Classic preamp were. Didn't realise it had two main outs, which is great! Very versatile, specially using to control a second power amplifier or sub.

All I do remember about the Classic preamp is that it was probably one of the best vfm preamps I've ever had the pleasure of owning. It's got everything you would really require from a highend linestage, very simple to use and no fuss. Absolutely beautiful sound with those M8080 tubes (Mullards miniature triodes) and the SE version, which I had takes the performance even further. It's a marvellous design for what it does, highly recommended.

JoPa1078, do you have the SE version?
Whichever version, I'm sure you're enjoying those fine tunes!
Best, RJ
JoPa1078
Regular
Regular

Post by JoPa1078 »

Hi RJ,
thanks for the nice review gof my Classic SE Preamp. Yes, I have the SE version. Disked you have your with the phone board or just line? I'm going to invest in phono so thinking about a separate phone preamp or adding the phone board to my classic (if still available at cj).
Best regards
Jo
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Jo,

The Classic SE version I had was the dedicated linestage, hence no phonostage. I would have organised for the phonostage to be included if I wasn't using a separate phono-preamp at the time.

Not sure if CJ would be able to supply and fit the phonostage required for the Classic pre although it was discontinued. I wouldn't see why they can't do this for you, afterall it's a very simple and basic design, using high quality parts and layout. So, I would think they should be able to assist with the resources they have. Otherwise, you would have to get a separate phono-preamp.

If you're within budget, I highly recommend the TEA2SE. Depending on your cartridge, CJ can supply either a high gain or low gain version. Inside the unit towards the far left corner there are dip-switches for further adjustments to match the load/impedence and gain settings. This finer adjustment is critical in order to get the gain structure right. Once that is set perfectly to match cartridge output, everything falls into place very nicely. The TEA2SE takes your vinyl playback towards another level, and as the SE version settles in more, everything opens up nicely portraying the sheer brilliance and 3D affect in the soundstage, it's just superb!

Same phono-preamp I'm using with my Martin Logan CLX Art system. I could very easily go for CJ's top of the line phono-preamp but at this level it's really not required. It's more than plenty of fine quality music for me.

You could also start with the standard TEA2 version and slowly upgrade to the SE version later on when you're ready. OTOH, once you get used to that sort of fine level in vinyl reproduction, you might not even want to upgrade to the SE version, simply because the standard version is delivering all the finesse you can refer to from your favourite recordings.That's all that matters!

Cheers Jo,
Enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

RJ wrote:
If you're within budget, I highly recommend the TEA2SE. Depending on your cartridge, CJ can supply either a high gain or low gain version. Inside the unit towards the far left corner there are dip-switches for further adjustments to match the load/impedence and gain settings. This finer adjustment is critical in order to get the gain structure right. Once that is set perfectly to match cartridge output, everything falls into place very nicely. The TEA2SE takes your vinyl playback towards another level, and as the SE version settles in more, everything opens up nicely portraying the sheer brilliance and 3D affect in the soundstage, it's just superb!
Steve Javaherian has a used SE high gain (54dB) on inventory.

He has been a reliable supplier in my dealings with him.

https://www.highperformancestereo.com/cjtea2sehg.html
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey AJ,

I can't quite remember, is the TEA2SE HG version 55dB or thereabouts...

I know the TEA1 are much higher and suited to very low output cartridges. Infact, some of the best low output MC cartridges sounded bloody marvellous on the TEA1 series but still it wasn't within my personal benchmark of 35-40% and above. That's just my perogative, and the only reason why I haven't yet invested in the TEA1. The TEA2SE is mighty fine and more than plenty for me at this stage.

That's why I very very highly recommend it to anyone looking for a superb phono-preamp that can very easily compete with some of the best gear out there, only to be surpassed by its very own CJ top of the line.

Cheers mate,
RJ
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

As you know, the TEA1 has two channels. It can be configured in several ways.

Mine is set up 54 dB on the channel that can be adjusted for cap & resistive load, and 64 dB on the transformer boosted channel.

I think you can also have a 45 dB option to match with high output cartridges.

The TEA2 has one channel. It can be set up with either low gain or high gain (HG). HG is 54-55 dB. The TEA2 cannot change its capacitive load, but it can change its resistive load.

I have a TEA2MAX HG and a TEA1 from Steve Javaherian that went through CJ for transformer installation on its way to me.

They are both exceptional units ... noticeably better than other high end phono units I’ve heard.

Incidentally, my experience with solid state brands like the Linn Uphorik, is that relatively small changes in capacitive and resistive loading are readily heard. Yet with either CJ or Audio Research tube phono stages, they sound good on nearly any setting. Load effects are far more subtle with AR and CJ. I really like this myself.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Just to clarify, on many highly adjustable solid state phono stages, like the Linn Uphorik just to name one of many, the sound can go from horrible to superb for some cartridges, just by seemingly modest changes in the load settings.

I was both dissatisfied and excited when I was waiting for my first AR phono stage ... excited because it had resistive load adjustment on the remote control, and disappointed because AR didn’t include capacitive load adjustment at all.

When it arrived, I was startled by how great it sounded on ANY load choice. The differences were small with my low output moving coils.

Later I was talking to JF about CJ phono stages, and my sense was that CJ might also sound great without 40 choices for loads. Jeff was right again.

CJ has historically owned phono in my book.

And I love all three CJ channels with my Lyra cartridges. The biggest deal is picking the right gain. 64 dB for the SL models. 54 dB for the regular.

If I thought I would ever go back to high output MM cartridges, I’d have him set one of my channels up for 45 dB.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If i were going to go back to AR phono, I would choose one of the late model REF phono sections. They are the most flexible in the industry. But I have no incentive to change based on sound or sound stage. TEA1 and TEA2 are both bucket list phono preamps.
JoPa1078
Regular
Regular

Post by JoPa1078 »

many thanks for all your highly professional recommendations. I will think about my next moves based on it.
Q3Di
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Q3Di »

I am using Classic 2SE with TEA2SE HG. I used Dynavector 20x2L and Lyra Delos. This phono will stay in my system. It replaced my old Pass XOno, BAT VK-P10, Rogue, and Ayre.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Q3Di wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:02 pm I am using Classic 2SE with TEA2SE HG. I used Dynavector 20x2L and Lyra Delos. This phono will stay in my system. It replaced my old Pass XOno, BAT VK-P10, Rogue, and Ayre.
Very nice! As RJ would say, “ Enjoy those fine tunes!”
😉