Speakers for CAV 45 S2

From tubes to solid state.
Brownie
Beginner
Beginner

Speakers for CAV 45 S2

Post by Brownie »

Hello!

I am the proud new owner of a CJ CAV 45 s2.

I have always had solid state gear but was as (one advertiser used to say) tube-curious so made the leap. The CAV 45 is in my office system in place of an older Naim integrated.

I have used it with Harbeth P3ESRs and Trenner and Friedl Suns - both with success. In a smaller room both speakers are wonderful but I think the CJ would really shine with larger speakers.

I am considering moving up the Harbeth line to the 30.1s or possibly floor standers. I have Kudos C2s at home which I enjoy very much. They use SEAS drivers so similar in sound to the Suns (the Harbeth P3ESRs tweeters are SEAS models as well).

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I mostly listen to Jazz and acoustic music. The room is 20 x 18 with 10ft ceilings and plaster walls.

Thanks!
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Speakers for CAV 45 S2

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Stop the train!

Just finished up at the work place, having dinner at home and it's nearly 5am... came across your post, thought I must reply!

G'day mate, from down unda... the place to be if you prefer all four seasons to happen in one day, plus the usual seasons in reverse.

I can go on about the CAV45 and it's wonderful magic, I've posted quite a few notes when I had it along with the types of speakers used. Mainly two of them that really worked well and this little beauty was in full control: firstly with the Quads ESL 2905's and then the Martin Logan Ethos hybrid stats. Yes, I'm very passionate about tubes and electrostats, partnered with a high quality TT or fine digital playback systems, that's about as good as it gets!

So to cut a very long story short, since my dinner is getting cold and it's around 10 degrees C at the moment, I've said this before and I'll say it again, the CAV45 is probably the best CJ gear I've ever had the absolute pleasure of owning.

It's nothing fancy, simple to use with just 3 inputs. It's a bit tricky to get the gain structure right when using TT's simply because the CAV45 doesn't have a line stage, hence no gain in the preamp stage. It's a passive attenuator, therefore when using alongside analog gear, need to make sure the phonostage has a pretty high gain in order to feel the music at realistic levels. Otherwise vinyl can sound dull and flat.

However, this is not the case with digital playback systems as most are set at a relatively higher output, the incoming signal has plenty of gain to sound best.

The CAV45 is my CJ favourite of all time, and the series 2 is even better, takes the performance to a slightly higher level. With it's beefed up power supplies and special goodies like those high quality parts upgrades, it can generate more current driving a wider range of speakers. Nonetheless, they're both equally superb control amplifiers.

It's hard for us CJ passionate enthusiasts to recommend speakers for you... that final judge would be yourself. You'll have to audition as many as possible and draw up a short list of your top 3 and make a final decision.

All the very best in your quest, and it's a marvellous design that CJ has embodied into the CAV45, as simple as it gets.
Enjoy those Mullard EL34's, wonderful tubes!

Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

As RJ said, the CAV45 is just a great unit. You will like it and it will pair well with almost any speaker.

Speaker choice is such a unique thing. I am one of the "planar speaker" nuts, just like RJ so my opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt. You have a good sized room so you could definitely go with large speakers and have a relatively easy setup. I think trying out as many speakers as you can is a good approach to hone down what kind of sound fits your needs/desires.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,
I am with admin too. We do love planar speakers. Magneplanar has a very good sounding pair of speakers. They are the model 1.7i. Try to audition them and tell us what did you think about them. The price is very affordable, and the quality sound is amazing.

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Congratulations on the CAV 45 S2.

I’ve been thinking about that amp for a long time especially because it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. I love the EL34 tubes/sound.

Please keep us updated on your speaker choice.

Welcome to the forum Brownie.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Maybe one of the Martin Logan hybrids with their onboard amps for the cones.

You could run the stat panels with the CAV45, and the bass control would fall to the class D ML built ins.

Plus they’re ARC ready if needed.

You could do worse than the 13” model in your fairly good sized space.
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Ok, I am going to divert you away from planar speakers, simply because I don't like the things. Harbeths are a very good option. Another would be Tannoy, always musical and easy to live with. And a third might be some of the new style JBLs, don't laugh their new speakers sound very good. Any of these three would work well with the CAV45 in a room such as yours.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Brownie wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:03 am Any advice would be very much appreciated. I mostly listen to Jazz and acoustic music. The room is 20 x 18 with 10ft ceilings and plaster walls.
This is the rub for me. Jazz nearly always has a strong deep bass line, and often snappy drums are important too.

The CAV45 should sound wonderful for anything over 200 Hz (my arbitrary low end boundary), but dip another octave or two, and my experience is that more power gives a cleaner presentation. Depending on your own expectations, my concerns could be unwarranted.

If I were thinking about efficient speakers for your nicely sized room, the Revel F228Be’s come to mind quickly. But I would still be concerned about how well the CAV45 could handle any calls for a powerful low end.

Many would disagree with me. I think your room is definitely in the higher end of the medium size category. The CAV45 is probably rated pretty conservatively. And you may not be looking for live levels, so a lot of options could work well. It will be interesting to see what you choose.
Last edited by AnotherJohnson on Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola.

I have a dear friend who owns a pair of these Focal Aria 926 speakers. They have a retail price of $3.299.00. Right now there is an offer at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KMDKV2J/re ... B07KMDKV2J

Highly recommended product!
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
Brownie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Brownie »

Hello everyone - Thank you for the warm welcome! I had not considered planar speakers but my dealer carried them so I will give them a listen. I think I am going to take this slow and try to be methodical. The room needs some work with carpets etc. to kill an echo. I want to sort that first and then see about demoing different speakers. It is certainly a quest!

Thanks again, and I will keep post when I have some news.
mgttr
Pro
Pro

Post by mgttr »

You might consider something larger in the Harbeth line. I am using Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 speakers with my C-J Classic Sixty SE amp and it is an outstanding match up.

Jerry
ARC LS17SE, CJ Classic 60SE, Roon Labs Nucleus, Teddy Pardo PS, Sonore ultraRendu, Bryston BDA-3, OPPO BDP-105, Harbeth C7ES-3, Sound Anchor stands, Shunyata Venom IC, speaker & power cables, Nordost Blue Heaven digital IC, AQ Niagara 1200.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Harbeths and ProAc, such a beautiful sound if you wanted to go that way. Would be a fantastic musical presentation with the CAV45 S2 combination.

Not too sure if the Maggie 1.7i would be in full control with the CAV45... might not want to overstress the EL34's, merely because there're only two per side. Whereas, if it was the Classic 120, fitted with eight EL34's, that's four per side, that'll provide plenty of current required to properly drive, grip and control the Maggies. Personally I would try out the 1.7i first, perhaps on soft to moderate playback it may work out but not on high levels of playback and ultimate transient control. It will stress out the single pair of EL34's. The top end frequency extension will distort and breakup, including the low frequency lines. They'll start to smudge...

With hybrids or any type of speakers with active drivers being driven by dedicated built-in amplifiers, the CAV45 will cruise along... will sound best.

Driving full range ribbon panels and stats is a completely different league. Let us know how it goes, you'll have a good selection of speakers to choose from depending on your budget. Go with the one that makes you fully engaged in the music, not just sound...

Cheers mate, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Bump for updates from the OP or anyone using CJ amps on the lower end of the power scale.

A few speakers that I’m thinking about (besides my Avantgarde Duo XD) for a 35-45wpc CJ amp are Klipsch Cornwall 4, Volti Rival, Harbeth C7 XD or 40 XD, Tannoy (?), JBL 4367 (again - I did love these), JBL L82.

Would love your thoughts.

Thank you
Brownie
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Brownie »

Hello!

Sorry for the lack of follow up.

I purchased a pair of Penaudio Sara S floor standers. They use SEAS drivers - which I know and like. I purchased the Saras from a dealer I trust who sells tube gear. I was concerned about the CAV 45's ability to power them but so far there is no problem. I hesitate to comment further as I need to focus on the acoustics in my room before forming a firm opinion. I have an echo I need to tame. So curtains are next on my list.

Thanks for all the advice!

I have a great fondness for Harbeth and may consider the C7s at some point. The CAV 45 was great with the P3ESRs (sp?).

Brownie
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Brownie,

Nice to hear that it's coming together. The room acoustics are so important and often overlooked. Carpet, furniture, decorations, etc... can have a major influence on the sound. I think you are wise in addressing the room characteristics before making any conclusions about the audio system's sound qualities.

I have a fair amount of acoustic panels and dampening materials in my room. If you already feel the room has an echo, you will probably need quite a bit of similar treatment. If budget is a concern, I would highly recommend The Foam Factory. I've ordered from them before and they seem to be of good quality for very inexpensive price points. They are a "no BS" supplier that don't claim miracle results but rather publish the acoustic dampening measurements for their products. They ship fast and I've never had a problem with them. They can also do custom sized pieces of many of their products.

https://www.thefoamfactory.com/acoustic ... cfoam.html
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Papawheely
Regular
Regular

Post by Papawheely »

joeinid wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:40 am Bump for updates from the OP or anyone using CJ amps on the lower end of the power scale.

A few speakers that I’m thinking about (besides my Avantgarde Duo XD) for a 35-45wpc CJ amp are Klipsch Cornwall 4, Volti Rival, Harbeth C7 XD or 40 XD, Tannoy (?), JBL 4367 (again - I did love these), JBL L82.

Would love your thoughts.

Thank you
Hi! I have a cj classic 62, and recently bought klipsch Cornwall iv’s. The sensitivity of the gentle giants is the key. 60 watts is plenty to bring a floor to ceiling soundstage and concert level volume and dynamics. I can’t get over the sound. It’s like having my own concert hall that’s as fun as my own roller coaster. I think I’ve reached my endgame system. I will live the rest of my life happily with this sound
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Papawheely wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 pm I think I’ve reached my endgame system. I will live the rest of my life happily with this sound
🤣🤣🤣

Famous last words ...
Papawheely
Regular
Regular

Post by Papawheely »

Lol. I chuckled when I wrote that
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

👍
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Famous last words indeed!

Very nice one on the Klipsch matched with the Classic 62, that will be a fine combination!

I've got a very good mate here, infact lives a few blocks away. He's got the entire Klipsch heritage series, including triple stacked Lascala's. Amplifiers are a full array of McIntosh, three power amplifiers in tri-amp mode, and basically uses one big Mac MC462 to drive his Maggie's 30.7's. When the horns are playing, yep! It's basically a true live event, no doubt about that!

I've heard some pretty impressive systems, with mighty amplification to drive them. Probably the most impressive being Wilson's, YG Acoustics Anat III, ML Statements and Infinity IRSV's. Driven by a full line up of Momentum monoblocks and Relentless monoblocks, that type of "big" sound seemed quite obvious with sheer power and agility. However, at the same time the triple stacked Klipsch horns are capable of equal SPL's and some serious wallop, yet seems so much more effortless compared to these dynamic driver types.

I probably do believe you, when you say :endgame," I think that's a fair comparison based on what those Klipsch horns are capable of. Great stuff indeed.

Enjoy those fine tunes!
Cheers to Klipsch! RJ