Sheet metal screws for PV1 top?

The PV-1 to now...
Bmichael
Regular
Regular

Sheet metal screws for PV1 top?

Post by Bmichael »

Hello, I’ve lost the little black metal screws that secure the top sheet metal cover to the chassis of my PV1. Anyone know what size and type of screw will work here?
Thanks in advance,
Bob
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sheet metal screws for PV1 top?

Post by admin »

Hi Bob,
First, welcome to CJO. Great to have you with us.

Not sure what the size is. There was a comment just the other day on finding replacement screws for CJ units. They didn't mention the size but CJ did send out replacements on request so you may want to call them up if you want exact sizes.

The alternative is to take one of the screws and take it to home depot and just try to match it up.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Bmichael
Regular
Regular

Post by Bmichael »

Thank you the welcome! There seem to be a lot of helpful members and good discussion here.

I’ll also reach out to CJ about the screw and post any results here.

I’m bringing this PV1 back into service after a while. It’s an old one- serial number 75! I’ve always liked the sound of this preamp, now planned for used in a second system with an Assemblage 300B amp and Tannoy 615 speakers.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yup, that's one of the early ones! :)

As I mentioned, you can take one of the screws you do have and take it to any hardware store where they can figure out the size and thread count. Just not sure if you can get a perfect match to the stock screws.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Bmichael
Regular
Regular

Post by Bmichael »

All the screws are missing...not that concerned about a perfect match to the stock screws. Wrote CJ, we’ll see what we get.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, I gotta ask,... how did all the screws go missing? I've dropped and lost a screw here and there but never all of them.
-admin
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

Put ‘em in a bag. Leave the bench. Come back a week later after wife has “cleaned up.”
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Bmichael
Regular
Regular

Post by Bmichael »

AnotherJohnson wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:58 pm Put ‘em in a bag. Leave the bench. Come back a week later after wife has “cleaned up.”
Not far from the truth, but I’m the culprit. I put them in a film canister to keep them “safe” and lost the canister. I only lose things I put in special places so I don’t lose them.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

If you’re like me, you’ll find the canister after Jeff sends the replacements.

Incidentally, I’ve had much better luck calling Conrad Johnson than I have emailing them. You might want to call them.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

This is the old type screws for preamps: The size is 4-40.

https://www.amazon.com/Machine-Finish-B ... 784&sr=8-5

The new size is: 6-32 flat head screws
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Availa ... 093&sr=8-7

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I should have looked more closely at them yesterday when I pulled the top off the ET7, but neither of these look right.

The screws are quite short. I can’t say anything official about the size, but they looked like maybe 1/4” to 3/8” long. They had a Philip’s style head (not Torx or Posi-Drive).

If I take the top off again, I’ll size them.

As for the PV1, I’ve never seen one in person, so maybe these fit those early models.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

IMG-3699.JPG
IMG-3699.JPG (2.47 MiB) Viewed 1622 times
Hola Chicos,

Both screws have the same size, 1/4 inch length. The old ones are 4-40 and the new ones are 6-32 flat head 1/4 inch length.
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:33 pm IMG-3699.JPG

Hola Chicos,

Both screws have the same size, 1/4 inch length. The old ones are 4-40 and the new ones are 6-32 flat head 1/4 inch length.
👍
Bmichael
Regular
Regular

Post by Bmichael »

Heard back from CJ. The screws for the PV1 are #4-40, 3/8 inches long.

By the way, they no longer freely send schematics for their gear, so a thank you to all those who posted the schematics here!
mgttr
Pro
Pro

Post by mgttr »

I needed a couple of screws for my PV-12AL. I e-mailed C-J Customer Service and they sent me a bag of screws for free!

Jerry
ARC LS17SE, CJ Classic 60SE, Roon Labs Nucleus, Teddy Pardo PS, Sonore ultraRendu, Bryston BDA-3, OPPO BDP-105, Harbeth C7ES-3, Sound Anchor stands, Shunyata Venom IC, speaker & power cables, Nordost Blue Heaven digital IC, AQ Niagara 1200.
jahatl513
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jahatl513 »

Sorry to be so late to the game but please call Jeff at CJ. Pay for shipping and they will send them to you.

Jeff
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

Hi
Does anyone know size of screws for grille and allen bolts for chassis for CJ Premier 12's
In UK and just found metric size don't fit,
thanks
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Not sure of the size but if you have one for reference, you can take it to your local hardware store and they can match it for you. I've done that before.
-admin
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola,

4-40 is the size. You can buy them at amazon.com. Here is the link. The screw picture at the web's page does not match the 1/4 thread size.

https://www.amazon.com/Socket-Screws-Co ... 281&sr=8-5

Happy listening!
goonybird
Pro
Pro

Post by goonybird »

Thanks finally found the cage screws in the UK.
What size are the allen bolts for the chassis as missing a couple of those as well?
Denon AVC8500H, CJ EV1 phono , CJ Premiere 17ls, Conrad Johnson Premier 12 MBs, Kef Ref 203,202c,204ds, HTS2001 x6, HTS1001, C130ER. Denon DBT3313UD, Technics Sl1200G, Goldring Ethos, EAR MC3 MC SUT,