Philips E188CC

Amps, preamps, speakers, cables, and any other Non-CJ products.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Philips E188CC

Post by AnotherJohnson »

I picked up an ET7s1 this week. One of the features was that the prior owner had installed a NOS Philips e188cc.

He said it had cost $190. I offered to let him keep it, but it was already packed up in the ready to ship unit.

When the ET7 arrived, so that I would know what I was listening to, I pulled the high dollar E188CC and Replaced it with an EH6922 that I’d gotten directly from CJ.

I had an ET7s1 earlier, and I think this one sounds comparable.

What’s my question? For those of you who are old tube aficionados, is the E188CC special? How is it different compared to the modern Russian made EH 6922? What am I missing by having swapped these tubes?
It’s just stuff. I like mine. I hope you like yours. I probably like yours too.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Re: Philips E188CC

Post by Bill Stevenson »

This is just my opinion AJ, you might query Jeff on this for his thoughts as well, but I would be stunned and amazed if you haven't got the better tube installed now. To be clear, the EH 6922 would be my pick as the better tube. Let me know how it goes and congrats on your new preamp.

Bill
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Oh, I forgot to mention, the new Russian tubes generally last a lot longer than NOS Philips too. Another one I have tried both in my ET5 and in my Gat2 that didn't last very long was the new Gold Lions. They sound good for a short while then get real noisy real quick. I have not had any trouble with EH.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

We are on the same page again. 😁

I have never been disappointed with an EH6922.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

FWIW, my question is sincere. I put the 6922 in from the gitgo because I know what an ET7s1 sounds like with that tube. Also, I’ve paired it with an NOS MF2275, and the MF2275 will take a while to settle in before it’s “normal.”

So when I put the Philips E188CC in, I want it to be the main variable.

Regarding the 6922 set up right now, it is very nice, even with the MF2275 not yet broken in. It was a bit congested during the first warm up, but after an hour or so, it was delightful.

Eventually I will probably do some comparos with the ET7s2 that I have in another system.

But as long as there’s no A to B comparison, a good performer can stand on its own.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

The E188CC is a much better tube than the E88CC. It is supposed to last 10K hours without degradation. Also it can replace the 7DJ8.
Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

The seller mentioned this 10,000 hour figure too. Interesting.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

From personal experience the 7308/E188CC do last a long time.

As to the 7308 lasting longer than a 7DJ8? Not so sure because of the difference in electrical ratings between the two. May be the case in certain tubes but I don't know in general whether that's true. Th 7308 is a military type and should last longer than just about anything.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
Conrad Johnson CA200
MartinLogan EML
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6 Ethernet and HDMI, Q-Audio IC and speaker cables, and Acrolink 6N P4030 power cords; PSA Duet PLC and Juice Bar, Oyaide R1 wall outlets
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Hola Chicos,

I recently got from Parts Express, a Sylvania/Philips ECG 6DJ8. This tube is made in the USA, and comes in yellow carton box.

I put is on my ET-7, and the first thing that I noticed is dead quiet. No hissing or humming. No noises at all. Then I wait the 20 minutes of warming up, and played my favourite music. I played violin. Here the violin sound has a richness that I´m getting goosebumps again. On Paganini violin concertos, by Salvatore Accardo, is breathtaking. Then I played piano...you do know the history...open, many air between the musical instruments, the brass is excellent too. Then I changed for jazz. I played Lee Ritenour, and his sound is clean, the cymbals are very nice too exhibing the metal characteristics of the bronze. Many detail comes out. The sax has the incredible naturalness and also you can hear the voice of the sax player too. I played old tracks, like Carl Tjader, you can hear Carl humming along of his improvisation. Of course I did played some voices...great definition and a naturalness.

The stage is wide and open, the air between the musical instruments and voices is evident. I do believe that the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 is a little less than this tube. I am really enjoying this new quality sound!

Happy listening!
ML CLX BF-210 Stage X Motion 4. CJ 120SE amp ET7V2 pre, Holo May Kte Dac. Mac Pro. Power Cond. BPT Signature+ 3.5, Gaia II Feet. USB Lush^V3. Nordost SPM IC and Spk. Shun Mook, BCanto CD2 CD3. Linn LP-12/Unitrack tonearm/Denon DL103R MC.
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

roberto wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 2:34 pm Hola Chicos,

I recently got from Parts Express, a Sylvania/Philips ECG 6DJ8. This tube is made in the USA, and comes in yellow carton box.

I put is on my ET-7, and the first thing that I noticed is dead quiet. No hissing or humming. No noises at all. Then I wait the 20 minutes of warming up, and played my favourite music. I played violin. Here the violin sound has a richness that I´m getting goosebumps again. On Paganini violin concertos, by Salvatore Accardo, is breathtaking. Then I played piano...you do know the history...open, many air between the musical instruments, the brass is excellent too. Then I changed for jazz. I played Lee Ritenour, and his sound is clean, the cymbals are very nice too exhibing the metal characteristics of the bronze. Many detail comes out. The sax has the incredible naturalness and also you can hear the voice of the sax player too. I played old tracks, like Carl Tjader, you can hear Carl humming along of his improvisation. Of course I did played some voices...great definition and a naturalness.

The stage is wide and open, the air between the musical instruments and voices is evident. I do believe that the Genalex Gold Lion 6922 is a little less than this tube. I am really enjoying this new quality sound!

Happy listening!
Any tube that led to hissing, humming, or other noises would disappoint me. I am very sensitive to such distractions. Both the ET7 and ET7s2 are giving me very quiet, noise free performance with the 6922EH.

Nevertheless, you inspire me to try this “expensive” tube in the ET7s2. I am curious to see if it will be a noticeable improvements on bowed stringed instruments. There is no doubt that the violin and its family are all difficult to reproduce accurately. Such instruments are always a good test for any system. I am very happy with my current configurations, but it is always fun to find improvements.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

My dear friend,

I assure you that this tube is giving only love. I never thought this was possible just changing it. I do not know if it will last as the other Genalex have...but this 6DJ8 is doing marvelous things here in my system. I am very impressed by it.
Try it, you might like it as I do...
Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

One of the very nice aspects of the ET7s1/s2 is the simplicity of removing the top. No side screws. No folds to maneuver on and off. I appreciate this every time I pull a cover. A short #2 Philip’s head around the top, and the metal can be pulled up and forward, even in situ.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

Yes AJ,

And the screws are not too tight. Also the socket of the tube is mounted in springs...this makes that it might resonate less mechanically. Sometimes with the music, they resonate...with this type of mount, it does not. Very clever design...you don't see this too often on tube gears.

And another thing that I do like a lot, is how the electronic parts are placed inside. Very nice design too. The quality and expensive components is easy to spot too. This preamp is a wonder!

Happy listening!
AnotherJohnson
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by AnotherJohnson »

We are in the same page. The layout is a dream.

Anyone who has been seriously involved in performance of preamps over the last thirty years has to recognize the ET7s1 as exceptional ... even more true in the s2 version.
roberto
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by roberto »

AJ,
Agreed 100%!!! And when you find a tube like this, made in the USA by Sylvania ECG (Philips) is a wonder too. I do not know how this happens. My ears are very happy, yesterday I was listening to the Patricia Barber Group. The guitar player is a truly fantastic. The way that he does the improvisations, harmonically way of speaking, is an unexpected way. Very forward and abstract way to play, keeping the melodic line.

Also, I do like a lot Chuck Loeb with Four Play. The group is tight and all the musicians are very professional. Nathan East, Harvey Mason and Bob James are very easy listening musicians, and Chuck sound is very nice too. A shame he passed. Ray Brown, Ron Carter, John Clayton, Brian Bromberg, Miroslav Vitus, Anthony Jackson, Esperanza Spalding, Andy Gonzalez, etc, are projected to the air with the right amount of energy, and without too much very low frequency content, this is what I do like from this fantastic wonder tube.

Pat Metheny Group with Lyle Mays, another that passed, his melodic lines are very nice. Steve Rodby sound is very nice too.

Happy listening!