Biggest disappointment in equipment sound quality?

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Biggest disappointment in equipment sound quality?

Post by jeffreybehr » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:20 pm

My nomination is the VonSchweikert centerchannel speaker I had a few years ago. Just never had much resolution, and it was built of particle board that started shredding the 1st time a driver was removed. (At its VERY high price, one would think VSA could have used T-nuts.) My V'steen VCC-2 sounds LOTS better.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Good Dog Jocko
Frequent User
Frequent User

Re: Biggest disappointment in equipment sound quality?

Post by Good Dog Jocko » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:44 pm

Many years ago I bought a subwoofer from DAC, and was appalled by the sound quality and the build quality.

DAC was revealed for what it is, a catalog that sells overpriced junk to yuppies with overblown advertising.

The woofer did not even have a curvalinear cone, being a straight sided paper cone with a very light magnet. A very small and cheap inductor and a trashy NPE capacitor did the crossover duties. The cabinet was thin particle board of about 1/2" thickness, nonbraced, that was very resonant. My little stand mounted monitor speakers sounded better all by themselves, minus the subwoofer.

Never bought anything from DAC again. You can do better at Radio Shack, which is still not saying much.

jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Biggest disappointment in equipment sound quality?

Post by jeffreybehr » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Good Dog Jocko wrote:Many years ago I bought a subwoofer from DAC, and was appalled by the sound quality and the build quality.

DAC was revealed for what it is, a catalog that sells overpriced junk to yuppies with overblown advertising.

The woofer did not even have a curvalinear cone, being a straight sided paper cone with a very light magnet. A very small and cheap inductor and a trashy NPE capacitor did the crossover duties. The cabinet was thin particle board of about 1/2" thickness, nonbraced, that was very resonant. My little stand mounted monitor speakers sounded better all by themselves, minus the subwoofer.

Never bought anything from DAC again. You can do better at Radio Shack, which is still not saying much.
Seems to me I had a SW just like that decades ago. Yuk!
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."