value of music

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

value of music

Post by miatadan »

I could never imagine a day without music..... could be having bad day and listen to music / less than half hour happy again :D music touches the soul :D

in the summer , put top down on Mustang Gt converible, play car stereo loud, cruise and be very happy :D
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Re: value of music

Post by camusmuse »

Music, the soundtrack to my life.....been saying that for years.

I have played guitar for years, my father's father played guitar on the radio back when the radio was "bluray"....lol was never famous, just loved to play. I grew up listening to my father play with his friends. Got into his record collection at around 13 and though I hated the music at the time(typical teen angst)I knew all the words and his stereo was much better than mine. Ironically I didnt know for many years WHY it was so much better. He had a mid seventies Kenwood next to top of the line SS intamp, nothing special, and a couple of "home built speakers" that sat up high, nothing big, about 8"deep, 2' tall, and 1.5' wide... Well after one of them started to buzz I finally convinced him to let me take them apart(I had been repairing speaker for several years now professionally..lol). Mind you he had built these with the help of his brother in law over 25 years previous, and he built them to NEVER come apart. I guess it is worthy to mention that the same BIL had a pair of Altec VOTT and all McIntosh tube gear....so yeah, I should of known. I pried open that speaker box like an Egyptian tomb....lol. And boy oh boy gold I did find....sorta. The buzzing speaker was an Altec 602b that the surround had finally deteriorated on(recone still available i believe and I have already found a proper mate for stereo...a good vintage speaker but nothing like......the "other"). The other speaker though not perfect was this.....

Yeah, that thing reached out and smacked my SILLY!!! My father could not understand why I was so excited....took me a while to explain. Unfortunately the "horn" doesnt work. I have since found a match for a decent price(under $500) to make a pair of "single speaker" speakers. If the pic is too blurry, probably is, it's an Altec 601A Duplex. My dad had a holy grail for all those years that I used to POUND on when he wasnt around....lol, LOUD AND CLEAR...unbelievable; and yeah he was a bit heavy handed on the volume knob too. So yeah, that is yet another project to build. The only people I know of that work on these(I dont want to touch it myself..lol) is Great Plains, and they dont make a replacement for the horn diaphragm. Plus I think you basically have to recone the entire speaker to replace that driver, not going to happen, its completely original..... We'll see, hopefully someone smarter than me can come up with a solution to make these speakers "whole" again. anyway.....um yeah....off topic a bit.....but just had to share one of my favorite "music" stories...even if it did end up with a bit of GAS....it is beautiful GAS if I do say so myself.....

I listen more than I play, but still try to get a few hour or sessions a weeks just to keep callouses on my fingers....really bugs my typing though,lol. I listen to my "custom playlist" all day in one ear(call center headset on, yes I listen and take calls at the same time....lol). Sadly its just mp3 through some cheapo head buds. I tried more expensive in ear Klipshes, but they didnt fit right with any of the different "plugs", finally went back to what I think are Maxell that sell for $5.99....just fits my ear I guess, will continue to look for better ones(or in my case one....the other ear is for the customer...lol). But yeah, I got the music bug bad. Hope I never lose it......