Video Game Thread

Everything not even remotely related to CJ.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Video Game Thread

Post by admin »

So when I'm not listening to music, watching movies, working, building cables, modding my equipment, mowing the lawn, eating, or sleeping... I am often playing video games. My first system was an Atari 7800 a long time ago but now I play PC and PS3 games.

There are two startup projects that are on kickstarter that I figured people may want to check out. The first is called "Star Citizen" by Chris Roberts, the guy who made the Wing Commander/Privateer series. They're only 8 days into the fund raiser and they have already surpassed 50% funding so it's going to happen.

The other is on kickstarter, called Nexus 2 which is a squeal the "Nexus: The Jupiter Incident". The original game was quite unique when it came out. It offered huge space battles with extremely large detailed ships. Really epic stuff.

I recommend you check these out and if you like space games perhaps give a pledge for a future copy of the game if they meet their funding goals.

Here is the Star Citizen homepage.
Here is the Nexus 2 kickstarter page.

I will post some gaming experiences from time to time on this thread. If there are any other "gamers" out there, please don't hesitate to share.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Video Game Thread

Post by admin »

So it looks like Nexus 2 is not going to happen as they didn't hit their funding goal. Star citizen is only half way through their fund-raising and they already met their goal so at least that going to be developed. Once again, if anybody is interested in space sims, definitely check it out.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Star Citizen is doing a recruiting program. If you want to buy an advanced copy of the game and support the project you can use the following link below which is connected to my acount. Once again, if you like space sims this probably the biggest space sim game that has come out (or will come out) in the last decade and a half. Here is the link:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/s ... ?rid=35026
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I recently started playing a puzzle game which I thought I share here on CJO. It's called "Spacechem" and it is essentially a puzzle game where you design systems for converting chemical compounds. It's based on chemistry principles but you don't really have to know anything about chemistry to play. What's great about the game is that there are many ways to solve the puzzles (so there is no one specific right answer). However, it is all based on logic so this is not a "luck of the dice" game.

I posted a picture of a very simple level solution below. The goal is to give instructional sets to a maximum of two molecule handlers to take the input and produce the desired output. You control things like making/breaking bonds, direction, orientation, and even things like making new elements by fusion. You often have to group multiple factories together to create complex systems. Often when you start a level your say, "there is no way I can do this", but you start working the problem and slowly accomplish goals one by one. So far it's been challenging but never frustrating. It requires you to think.

I have played quite a few hours over the last 2 weeks and have had a great time. I am about half way through and it's starting to be a real challenge (in a good way). It even has a story which is not too bad. Here is the link if anybody is interested, it's currently being sold for $10 and this includes the soundtrack (which is pretty good music) and it's DRM free (you can install it on as many of your computers as you would like) (PC and Mac versions available):

Spacecheme Game on GOG.com
Attachments
Spacechem
Spacechem
spacechem1.jpg (81.01 KiB) Viewed 3166 times
-admin
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here is an example of my solution to one of the levels in spacechem. I have become addicted to this puzzle game in the past few months!

This is also a test of the new "youtube" post capability of CJO. You can now see a "youtube" button on the "post reply page". If you hover the mouse of the "youtube" button you will see the needed syntax for attaching videos.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxyFAZbZ8J4[/youtube]

If this looks interesting to you, you can pick up a copy of the game here: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/spacechem.
-admin