which CJ amp to go with ET5 ?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
diwakarv
Frequent User
Frequent User

which CJ amp to go with ET5 ?

Post by diwakarv »

Hi Guys,
I am moving to ET5 from ET3SE due to balance requirement in my setup.

Earlier, my system was MAC mini driving HD3USB DAC , feeding ET3SE , connected to Classic 60 to my focal 1027BE.

Due to balance requirement, I upgraded to ET5.

Do you guys think that I have to upgrade my amp to optimize my chain ?

Thanks,
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: which CJ amp to go with ET5 ?

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, just came across this post only today. Sorry about the late reply, and no else seems to have replied you either...

Regarding the ET5, that's a wonderful preamp. No, I don't feel it is necessary to upgrade on the poweramp. The Classic 60 is an outstanding amplifier and will easily drive your Focal's. If you have the standard Classic 60 (with EL34 tubes) that's more of a triode design and will give you that superb EL34 midrange magic plus expansive soundstage. The Classic 60 "SE" version uses KT120 output tubes, and will give you about 10-20 watts more power plus more dynamics and a fuller sound with deep bass and extended highs but will sacrifice on that magical EL34 midrange.

The only reason why you would need to upgrade an amplifier in my experience is based on the following:
1. If the "current" drive is not adequate to drive the speakers- then an amplifier known for high current output is required, especially to drive electrostats which are re-active impedence loads. (dynamic drivers such as the Focal's have no issues with being reactive, and they are not large panels). The Classic 60 also delivers plenty of high current and will drive most speakers effortlessly.

2. If your listening room is not getting the required full effect of the soundstage, depth, imaging and presence of instruments- then a more powerful amplifier is required to energise and fill the room. This can also be achieved by careful positioning, and another amplifier may not be required. Other than that, you can also try bi-amping if there is an option to do so with the speakers. (Nowadays most speakers have just one set of binding posts due to anomalies and other unwanted distortions in the chain when bi-amping, hence bi-wiring is far better. Mono-blocking may also prove to be more effective but a high quality stereo power amp is all that is really required.

3. Basically an upgrade from an older design that has served extremely well say over the last 20 - 30 years, obviously the caps and other critical components would require changing over time, hence purchasing / upgrading to a new amplifier would make more sense.

4. The only other reason I could think of is that you have too much money, and therefore would like to upgrade to whatever you wish. In which case I'll give you my bank account and you can kindly transfer some of that directly as a kind donation, and purchase the LP125SA or ARTsa and deposit the balance to me! Keeping both yourself and me happy in the long term...

Cheers, RJ
diwakarv
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by diwakarv »

Thanks for reply Big ...RJ, I appreciate your response.
The reason I asked is , the people who know a lot about these products ( read dealer and CJ itself) have vested interest and strongly suggested to upgrade my AMP. So I have to rely on fellow CJ owners who have first hand experience with these models.

I will stick to classic sixty but I still might need your account number though :D
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

The reason for a new amp would primarily be that the current one does not have enough power. Basically this is a reflection of the type of music you listen to, how loud you like it, and how big your room is. The Classic 60 is a pretty powerful amp. Consider that if you doubled the power you would be able to play your system 3 db louder for the same level of distortion. That would equate to about 20% louder. If you are not hearing any problems with your present setup, a new amp is not going to make an appreciable difference.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, no doubt the room plays a critical factor as well as the listening levels and types of music listened to.

On another note, with existing room dimensions as when I had the ACT2 and Classic 60SE, listening to the same levels the sound was fuller and effortless, with plenty of headroom. After having acquired the CAV45, I get all this plus far greater resolution that I had not experienced before. So for me between 50 and 60 w/ch was not a comparison at all, it was more to do with inner detail and resolution plus superb depth.

However, when I had the ARTsa for comparison and the LP125sa- that was at a higher level of performance with greater impact and finesse but would also require a larger room to perform well towards its full potential. Plus the Quads don't require this extra power at all, therefore upgrading to pre-power was not justified. Just because an amp is very powerful with adequate current drive to control the speakers doesn't mean the overall sound would be better in a particular room. You really cannot tell unless you actually try out the amplifier in your room and not the dealers (massive mismatch between dealer's demo rooms and personal living spaces). Usually the good thing is when it sounds ok at the demo room, and sounds fantastic at home, that's a real winner!

I guess now that you have the ET5, you are probably wanting to explore the sonic upgrades if a more powerful amplifier was added. As Bill very correctly identified, your room will be the deciding factor here and not the electronics. If I had the means and large space to go with, I would go for the ARTsa (in triode mode). This will be an absolute superb level of realism like no other!

The experience I've had with the other amplifiers, such as the LP70S, LP125M, LP125SA and Classic 60/SE, MV60/SE are relatively at the same level of performance with power output being the main difference. Soundwise, they all sound wonderful with the right speaker load and room interaction.

An actual "upgrade" in terms of sound, performance, clarity, resolution and depth would be the ARTsa, completely in a different level altogether!

All the best in your quest and do let us know how it goes.
Cheers, RJ