Which preamp to choose?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
golferboy
New User
New User

Which preamp to choose?

Post by golferboy »

Here is a very simple question. :evil: The et5, the CT5, or the Act 2 series 2? I have an et3se and would like to climb the food chain.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which preamp to choose?

Post by admin »

First, welcome to the site. Great to have you with us.

As for your question... I think the best answer would be the Act 2, but of course it's also going to carry a very different price tag than the others. But if "money is no object", then I personally would go with the Act 2. I don't know what the rest of your equipment is, but I always try to work on "the weakest link" in my system. So if you are running mid-range speakers only, I would probably try to put more money in upgrading that and go with a more moderately priced preamp. At the same time, if you are running top tier speakers from a high end audiophile speaker manufacturer, then spending more for a really good preamp suddenly makes a lot more sense. Just my opinion however.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Bill Stevenson
Pro
Pro

Post by Bill Stevenson »

Everyone has an opinion. Mine is ET5. When I bought mine it was between it and a GAT. The only piece of music I could detect any difference at all on was Beethoven's 9th finale and maybe, if you want to call it music, Tchaikovsky's 1812. And I had to really pay attention to hear the difference between them. The current preamps do have a different character, though so you want to listen to them. The Act 2 series 2 is liquid smooth, but not as clear to my ears and it is noisier.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, that is a definite!
The Act2 is noisier- gets pretty noisy when converted to the series 2 as well but depends on what brands of tubes you actually use. The 6N30p is not a smooth sounding tube, rather will deliver more drive and oomph. There are 4 of these in the Act2 and changing then as time passes by, which already has since it is out of production, is not an easy option when you're a few dollars down...

As Bill mentioned, the ET5 will be the overall better choice no doubt. It is also a newer model and will last a bit longer since it has just one simple tube to replace- 6922. The circuit is simpler and it gives a pretty smooth lively presentation compared to the older CJ preamps.

To me the Act2 is still one of those very rare classic preamps that CJ made. Similar to the original Art preamp, it is a preamp that would require service down the line as it is well over 15 years and going... Mine had about three service fix ups along the way, plus one upgrade. It never gave me any major problems, other than an occasional drop in one channel, with a slight adjustment on the level control and things fall back into place. Boy was it a wonderful sounding preamp, probably the best I ever had. However, I must say whenever I do visit my dealer's place and the ET5 is playing some wonderful tunes through the LP125 monoblocks or the ARTsa, I really don't miss the Act2 at all.

I sincerely think your ET3se is also an excellent value, I'm wondering why the hec do you want to upgrade? The ET3se is far superior to the CT5 and pretty close to the overall sonics of the Classic and SE versions, which are also superb sounding. If I were you, I would just sit back and save as much, and go for the GAT when ready. From the ET3se to the GAT there is a fairly big jump but to the ET5, the improvements are marginal but definitely apparent. The GAT on the other hand is a remarkable sounding preamp, and the GAT series 2 is even better.

That's where I would be heading. To upgrade now towards an ET5 when you already have an ET3"se version", not sure about the value in this move...

But that's your choice anyway, good luck in your quest.
Cheers, RJ