Any bets on Conrad Johnson introducing new gear at CES 2016 ? ...

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Any bets on Conrad Johnson introducing new gear at CES 2016 ? ...

Post by joeinid »

I'm hopeful. I know many manufacturers will in fact be offering new gear at CES Jan 6-9, 2016.

Fingers crossed once again.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: Any bets on Conrad Johnson introducing new gear at CES 2016 ? ...

Post by joeinid »

GAT preamplifier upgraded to GAT Series 2
Announcing the GAT Series 2

We are excited to announce a redesign of our flagship line- stage preamplifier, the GAT to the GAT Series 2. This update includes the introduction of an improved power supply circuit in the regulator for the main audio power supply. The new regulator also features increased filter capacitance, still utilizing all CJD Teflon capacitors. The update also includes boosted output coupling capacitance, again using more of the CJD Teflon capacitors.
Additionally, the tube complement is changed to incorporate PCC88 tubes, of which we have acquired a stock that we are reserving for GAT preamplifiers.

The US Suggested Retail price of the GATs2 is $24,000, and units are available for immediate delivery.

joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

CA150SE Now Available

Conrad-Johnson fans have been inquiring about the possibility of an “SE” version of the CA150. To satisfy those who want to take the performance of this marvelous control amplifier a step further, we have worked up the CA150SE, an model that is
loaded with a dozen CJD Teflon capacitors and more than two dozen Vishay and Caddock metal-foil resistors. Needless to say, the sound quality is absolutelystunning.

US Suggested Retail Price for the CA150SE is $7000, and it is available for immediate delivery.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

I'm going to ignore the posting on the CA150SE, too tempting. :roll:

Interesting that they're switching to PCC88/7DJ8 for the GAT2. They have been a sanely priced alternative in the 6DJ8 family even for NOS brands.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

I wonder if 6922 are still compatible, I have a stash of nice tubes and am trying to find out if my GAT can be updated or not. I'd hate to not be able to use my current tubes.
Joe Appierto
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by Joe Appierto »

joeinid wrote:I wonder if 6922 are still compatible, I have a stash of nice tubes and am trying to find out if my GAT can be updated or not. I'd hate to not be able to use my current tubes.
I guess that's going to depend upon whether or not cj has re-designed the amplifier stage so that the pair of amplification tubes are now running at 7 volts. Or, if they're using the PCC88/7DJ8 simply because of the relative abundance of quality NOS tubes of this type that are available. If it's the former, then most likely not but if the latter then it'd be up to the user.

Not a very satisfying answer but until we know some more either from cj or from professional reviews once the GAT2 is available, it's pretty much just speculation on our part.
Oppo BDP-105D and PSA DS DAC
C-J CA200
Polk T50
In-Akustik Exzellenz Cat 6, Kimber IC, Q-Audio SC, Blue Circle and Acrolink power cords; PSA Juice Bar and Duet PLC
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

To upgrade a current GAT to S2 version is $4500.
plurn
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by plurn »

Joe Appierto wrote:
joeinid wrote:I wonder if 6922 are still compatible, I have a stash of nice tubes and am trying to find out if my GAT can be updated or not. I'd hate to not be able to use my current tubes.
I guess that's going to depend upon whether or not cj has re-designed the amplifier stage so that the pair of amplification tubes are now running at 7 volts. Or, if they're using the PCC88/7DJ8 simply because of the relative abundance of quality NOS tubes of this type that are available. If it's the former, then most likely not but if the latter then it'd be up to the user.

Not a very satisfying answer but until we know some more either from cj or from professional reviews once the GAT2 is available, it's pretty much just speculation on our part.
The GAT and ET5 (and I think ET3) are hard on tubes according to some people (I am one of those people). A good number of reports of tubes going noisy way too early. For the mix of different tubes used in my ET5, most tubes go noisy at about 250 hours of use, one at 100 hours, another is running at just over 1000 hours and not noisy yet. To be fair some other people report no issues. There is healthy debate on whether the "hard on tubes" claim is actually true or not.

When I reported this to CJ regarding my ET5 and they suggested trying some NOS tubes eg "Russian, 6n23 ; Philips, PCC88". I have heard reports that they were supplying Philips PCC88 to some people with good results so I expect they are the PCC88 tubes they will supply to GAT users going forward.

I measured my ET5 and the heater is running at 6.58V rather than the 6.3V the tubes are nominally rated at. It is at the upper end of the voltage range for 6922 but within design specifications according to CJ. It could be that the GAT is run at this voltage too but I have not read any reports on this. No GAT owners with a multimeter?

The high heater voltage is one part of being "hard on tubes". Another part is the high gain due to no negative feedback I think. So it is a combination of things as I see it.

6.58V would be "suitable" for either 6922 or PCC88 so they could potentially leave the circuit as it is in the GAT. I think CJ using PCC88 is to try and help with the "hard on tubes" problem. I would guess you could probably still be fine using 6922 in GAT series 2 Joeinid. Though not knowing the heater voltage in GAT series 2 I don't know for sure. A question for CJ.

Anthony
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

Nice to hear CJ has an upgrade for the GAT but now I've got to come up with $4500! I've tried rolling tubes first with Genalex Gold Lions and those sounded great for a coupe of weeks until one tube fizzed out. Next I tried some pretty expensive Russian tubes and one of those had a hum and I couldn't use them, so I gave up switching tubes. Maybe the upgrade will provide better sound without smoking tubes. I had a glimpse of it with the Gold Lions where there was a significant but short lived improvement; quieter backgrounds, bigger soundstage, sharper image edges, and a very intoxicating tonality. Loved it for a while, but then..... pooooffffff.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Agreed with the tube replacement on the GAT. Due to its more simpler circuit, which was supposed to be more refined compared to the ACT2 Series 2, whenever I had it in my system on trial, it always sounded a bit noisy with more of that hiss on the left channel. There was a fairly noticeable improvement in the overall sound and effortless control of the power amplification but compared to the dead-silent ACT2 Series 2, after which I had done the upgrade, I feel absolutely no requirement towards the need for a GAT at all.

I also feel that the 6N30p tubes on the ACT2, which are also used in Lamm pre-amplification, to me are the most natural sounding composite triodes available. I also feel that the GAT series 2 can be further improved if it were to use these 6N30p's. c-j had acquired nearly all the stock of 6N30p's, Lamm Industries may be able to provide them but at a higher cost. There will always be improvements when it comes to tube designs since after all that is the essence of what tubes can do. Solid state devices are pretty much "one way."

Having said that, I had a cracker of an audition with a GAT series 2 partnered with a mighty MC452 power amp and SF Stradivari, and Analysis Audio Omega's- very impressive in every sense of the word. Superb dynamics and lively impact from the AA ribbons. Then the chap tried his very own Pass Labs X-series amps (x250.5 mono blocks) with my ACT2-series 2; superb in all aspects as well, very hard to determine but one would have to be extremely critical for that very subtle nuance/micro detail, eventually you tend to listen to the component and not the music.

After having distinguished what the subtle differences are, especially on classical music, I indeed nodded that the GAT2 was better overall. However, at the end of the day if you are really enjoying your music with whatever pre-power combination you have, I strongly feel that is what actually counts.

I very clearly remember when the first ART preamp came out somewhere around 1997/98, most thought that this was the "reference standard" in preamplification. No doubt it was, although a massive two chassis unit, it was surpassed by the ACT2 & GAT and now the GAT2, which are simpler circuits. On the other hand, whenever I do get a chance to audition an original ART, there is still some of that true c-j classic preamp-magic that comes out of the ART that is remarkable when matched in a superb system. It is very hard to describe, I would suggest to rather have a listen.

That special ART sound always reminds me of a PV12, which is a far more simpler and modest preamp but one that has a very unique "classic" c-j sound. Call it colored, caramel or whatever, when music is played through it, it just captivates your attention, and has that warm "enveloping sound."

The newer models are quite impressive, and are equally enjoyable compared to their vintage gear. However, to me the newer versions of series 2's etc. are more refined, have less of the golden glow, and more of the live impact, better drive, higher gain etc. It will be very hard to better an older preamp such as the ART or ACT2 by a far margin. Therefore, improving on a current design topology of usable parts, such as tubes, would make more sense. I feel this is the main reason why c-j is offering these upgrades on current models, rather than offer "brand new" designs/models.

Probably after extensive research, they may have something of a real breakthrough but what is the question, and what tubes could they possibly use that are so 100% reliable and absolutely quiet - nothing other than solid state devices... Ah! you gotta love tubes.
Cheers and special greetings to c-j lovers for 2016, have a good one all.
RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Any idea if once the upgrade is complete to the series 2, 6922 or equivalent can no longer be used? I have a cache of tubes for my GAT that are wonderful and would hate to not be able to use them.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Thank you Anthony and Joe for your previous answers/replies. I may take my time with the upgrade.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe,
I could only hope that you would be able to use those spares; Perhaps you could sell them off slowly to other GAT owners or other preamps that use the 6922's. I am sure not all GAT owners would want to upgrade since they are already getting SOTA sound- after all that is what the GAT is supposed to deliver. I think 6922's are also used in the other preamps down the line such as the ET5 & 3, so you may be in luck to find buyers.

On another point, you never know if c-j ends up producing some fantastic new preamp in a few years that may use 6922's- who knows! It's all trial and error mate, as long as it's an enjoyable ride.
Hope that helps, have a good one.
RJ
jasper
Advanced
Advanced

Post by jasper »

Sent my GAT back to CJ for the series 2 upgrade and will report back about the results in a couple of weeks when its completed. Sure hope its worth it!