MV55 versus Classic 60

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
QJRockStar
Beginner
Beginner

MV55 versus Classic 60

Post by QJRockStar »

I have been running a MV55 for 20 years and it has had occasional fuse blows and other tube and component issues. I have a man who repairs for me and he is good, but yet another fuse blow and now channel down, I'm starting to think I should buy a new Classic 60 to replace my MV55. Will I be disappointed or delighted? Will a new Classic 60 sound better or worse, and will it be more reliable in terms of having to be repaired? Your views will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. QJ (that is my real name).
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Re: MV55 versus Classic 60

Post by joeinid »

I've had the MV55 and loved it. My guess is that the Classic 60 is a little more modern sounding, meaning cleaner and clearer with more detail. Detail in a good way but just as musical. I would not hesitate getting the Classic 60 or SE version. I think you will be delighted. What speakers are you running? Preamp? If you send the amp back to CJ, they should be able to fix it but you might as well spoil yourself and get the new one.
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Stereophile Class A rating for the SE version:

Conrad-Johnson Classic 60 SE: $5000 ✩
The Classic 60SE uses four Tung-Sol KT120 tubes to deliver 60Wpc into 4 or 8 ohms. Upgrades over the standard Classic 60 include Teflon capacitors in the power supply and main reservoir, Vishay resistors at key points, and Cardas binding posts. With its handsome tube cage in place, the Classic 60SE measures 17.4" W by 6.6" H by 13.4" D and weighs 41 lbs. It combined exceptional dimensionality, pinpoint imaging, and excellent low-level resolution for an overall sound that was "the antithesis of mechanical or contrived," said ST. (Vol.35 No.4)
QJRockStar
Beginner
Beginner

Post by QJRockStar »

Thanks for that. I'm running the CJ PV9 preamp with the MV55.