CJ Power Amp choice - LP66S or Premier11A?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
rommelc
Beginner
Beginner

CJ Power Amp choice - LP66S or Premier11A?

Post by rommelc »

Hi,

I'm new here.

I'm wondering which would be best to pair with my CJ ET3. My current power amp is Musical Fidelity A3Cr with Dynaudio DM 3/7 speakers.

Thanks in Advance

Rommel
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ Power Amp choice - LP66S or Premier11A?

Post by admin »

Hi Rommet,
Welcome to CJO. Am I to understand that you are looking for a new amp? If so, I guess my question would be what is your budget, are you looking to buy new or used? Are you interested in going with a tube amp or your looking to stay solid state? How loud do you play your speakers as it is relatively low sensitivity (86 db) so you probably will need some power if you like rock or loud music. Again welcome.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
rommelc
Beginner
Beginner

Post by rommelc »

I'm planning to pair my ET3 with either of this tube amp, LP66s or Premier11A. Would these amp suit a low sensitivity speakers like Dynaudio DM 3/7? I like listening to classic rock.

Thanks.
Rommel
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

It's tough to say. There is not a huge power output difference between the two units (60 watts vs 70 watts). When I upgraded to my current speakers I did notice that I had to turn the preamp volume higher than before. I think that both units would give good quality at moderate to moderate-high volume levels. If your planning on "blasting" your speakers, probably looking at a high powered solid state amp would be the way to go. I personally prefer moderate volume listening so I think that you would be fine with either if your preference is similar to mine.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
eagle6014
Pro
Pro

Post by eagle6014 »

I cannot comment on the Premier11A. I've never heard one or even seen one. As the owner of a LP66S I can tell you that for rock it's good, not great. It's a "romantic" amp as it was said in Stereophile. And they're right. Great for classical and vocals. For classic rock like Floyd, it's good too. My speakers have a 93dB sensitivity and the amp didn't have any issues driving them to loud levels. I never really went over the top with them. The ET3 is a hybrid pre and I think just about any c-j solid state amp would work well with it. I've been breaking in the new MF-2550 amp (review forth coming). So far I've been very happy with what I hear. I almost caved in and bought the cheaper MF-2275, but I'm glad I didn't. But even if I did, it would have still sounded great. Something for you to consider. Oh and one more thing about the LP66S, I never did bother with getting fancy with tube rolling. I just stuck with what c-j recommended and never deviated. It always sounded great as is. Pat