What brought you to own Conrad Johnson gear ? ...

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: What brought you to own Conrad Johnson gear ? ...

Post by Big Dog RJ »

shag57 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:07 pm Always like the "warm" sounding equipment........Marantz, Luxman, Adcom, B&K. When I was ready to upgrade an audio friend steered me to a Cambridge system. It sounded so sterile to my ears.........reminded me of Yamaha.....some like it but not me. I sent it back and did more research on the web. Seems a lot of the reviews I could find mentioned .....if you like a full bass sound CJ is a great choice. There aren't any audio stores within 100 of me so I ordered the Classic 2 & their 2550 monster amp.......wow! Later in the summer I ordered the CAV45 - another wow only different! Now just ordered a Classic 60SE - to try with my Classic 2 preamp. I've hopelessly become a Conradaholic!
Hey mate, glad to see that you have a CAV45, that's one wonderful amplifier, and when partnered with the right transducer system, it is absloutely marvellous!

I also see that you have the Classic 60SE and Classic pre; great choice, and another superb pre-power combination. I had the Classic 60SE for quite a while, driving my previous Quads with the ACT2 preamp. Later on downsized due to several tech issues both with the Quad and ACT2 (for some reason...) Before the ACT2, I was started with the PV10AL, and then got hold of a Classic pre. In between tried out several other iterations, from ET3/SE to ET5, then onto CT5, PV15 and finally settled for the ACT2 solely based on a special price but I should have never sold off the Classic pre! That was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in preamp upgrades. The Classic is just marvellous, simple and easy to use and works just perfect!
It was far less hassle free compared to the ACT2, and I was later told that since my Quads were faulty (although purchased brand new...) the mains transformers failing slowly in the Quads was causing the ACT2 to go hay wire! If that was the case, then how come my previous MV60SE and Classic 60SE were fine, no problems there whatsoever...?

Anyway, fast fwd to Oct 2016, sold off the whole dam lot, and started out fresh with the most simplest design of amplifiers that CJ could come up with, the wonderful CAV45. Now driving a pair of Martin Logan Ethos- life is definitely good! Cheers to all and enjoy your CJ sound, I am sure you will find the Classic pre - power combination superb!
Big woof! RJ