Ghost switching of pre amp-Lesson

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
quincy
Beginner
Beginner

Ghost switching of pre amp-Lesson

Post by quincy »

I have all C-J equipment in my system. I run a Premier 17LS as a preamp. In early Oct. it started changing from phono to cd to aux to etc. all by its self. I took the batteries out of the remote, which I do not use, thinking that may be the cause. Again, the same issue. I called Ed at C-J and he recommended I make sure any wireless devices were turned off because they could interfear with the pre amp and create my 'issue'. We do have a wireless tablet and printer so I made sure those items were 'off' prior to a listening session. Still the same issue. I boxed up the unit and sent it off to C-J. They went over her with a fine tooth comb. No issue found. They shipped her back and I reinstalled the 17LS back into my system. Now the true root cause. Back in Sept we got new cell phones. The signal strength was for crap. Zero bars sitting in my kitchen (Sprint). The wife called them and they sent her a 'booster' that would take care of the issue. It did, but it was the root cause of my ghost switching. Now I unplug the booster and shut off all wireless devices like lap tops, tablets, and printers. No more problems! So, lesson learned, if you start having the same problems!!

Enjoy the Software!! Analog forever!!
mrfarnham
Beginner
Beginner

Re: Ghost switching of pre amp-Lesson

Post by mrfarnham »

Wow!

I won't feel so bad about getting an old pre-amp without a remote.
Jim Treanor
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jim Treanor »

Interesting, Quincy. Every now and then, though not often, clicking the TV/cable remote in my main system will turn on my 17LS or, if it's already on, switch the program source (typically to EPL1). My c-j remote, however, never returns the favor.
Living Room: Premier 17LS, MF2500, Win10 laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm SE-3
Bedroom: Luminous Audio Axiom II, MF2500, Win10 Laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Home Office: Luminous Audio Axiom II, Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1
quincy
Beginner
Beginner

Post by quincy »

The saga continues! I started having the same issue again a few days after installing the pre back into the system. The issue only occurs in the 'phono' mode. I listened to FM radio all day while setting up Xmas decorations with NO ISSUE. As soon as I put a record on, Bang, the system switched. Now the next fix. In desperation I took some HD aluminum foil, triple folded it into a 3x5 card and the hung it over the volume led light section, far right. This is where the pick up is hidden for remote sensing. After the tin foil was in place I listened to 4 records (rag dolls- great cover art) in a row. No issue. So I think I was picking up outside rf waves from who knows what causing my Premier 17 to go wacko!

Enjoy the software! Analog forever!
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I can't believe how sensitive the electronics are to RF interference. I have to admit that I often miss not having a remote on my PV12, but now I think it may be for the best as my wireless router is only about 3 feet from the rest of my equipment. I wonder if encasing the electronics in smaller internal metal housing would solve the problem? I have seen this done in some of my other components such as my Jolida JD9 phono preamp.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.