Do you listen to music in the dark?

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you listen to music in the dark?

Post by admin »

Ever since getting into "serious" music listening, I have always listened in the dark, usually with my eyes closed. I find that I am more aware of the music. Perhaps it's that by limiting the other senses (vision), hearing becomes more acute and sensitive. Do others find this to be true or am I alone on this?
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Do you listen to music in the dark?

Post by jeffreybehr »

You're certainly not alone; some of my friends close their eyes when listening critically. If a piece of music is especially emotionally involving, I might turn out my reading light(s) and listen in the resulting gloom, but it's still not dark in my musicroom.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

oh yea, my room has the darkest colors and dimmest lights of any room in the house, and, enjoyment of music (for me) is orders of magnitude greater with eyes closed.
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
rromeo923
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by rromeo923 »

Lava Lamp, candles, and Pink Floyd!

I definitely close my eyes when alone or listening critically. It allows you to "see" the soundstage.
Jim Treanor
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jim Treanor »

I guess I've somehow arrived at the point where I can tune out the visual distractions without having to close my eyes or darken the room, although at one time that mode seemed to offer a more persuasively-rendered illusion of what was occurring in the recording/mixing venue. Or maybe at my age I'm simply deceiving myself. :lol:
Living Room: Premier 17LS, MF2500, Win10 laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm SE-3
Bedroom: Luminous Audio Axiom II, MF2500, Win10 Laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Home Office: Luminous Audio Axiom II, Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1
miatadan
Advanced
Advanced

Post by miatadan »

rromeo923 wrote:Lava Lamp, candles, and Pink Floyd!

I definitely close my eyes when alone or listening critically. It allows you to "see" the soundstage.
no Lava Lamp but do have the candles + Pink Floyd and yes listen to music in the dark

Dan
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

I tend to close my eyes. I currently listen with streaming through a media player that displays on my plasma screen. I find that visually distracting. I'm planning to move to a streamer that will let me control and display via a tablet and I can turn the plasma off. That will prove less distracting and I'll be able to keep my eyes open some. :)

......Peter
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]