ET 250S - Modwright LS-100

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
mojn
Regular
Regular

ET 250S - Modwright LS-100

Post by mojn »

Hi Guys .

I have the 250S amp and i would like to ask you all .
Is the Modwright LS100 pre a bad macth to the CJ 250S amp ?

Regards Torben.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ET 250S - Modwright LS-100

Post by admin »

I don't see why it would be a bad match. Quite the contrary, both are tube based equipment so it should give a nice warm sound. Let know what you think of the combo if you decide to pair them up.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mojn
Regular
Regular

Post by mojn »

Well i have the combo .
I have really tryed to chance interconnect cables and loudspeakers.
Before i had loudspeakers with Thiel ceramic drivers , then i got the Wienna The Kiss loudspeaker .
It helped a lot .
But i suspect that the capacitors are finíshed and one of the ealier owner of the CJ 250S have make some adjustment of the bias.
It take about 6 to 8 hours to get handwarm .
I called CJ up and spoke with a technician and he said the temp should rise more quickly .
What is youre experience how fast the temperature should rise and how hot shall the heat sink rise too ?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

This is not specific to the 250S, but temperatures are going to reach maximum/baseline in 15 minutes or under in just about all electronic equipment.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
mojn
Regular
Regular

Post by mojn »

Ok
Well theres must be something wrong with this unit .
In 15 to 20 minutes the unit is cold , just when you tuch cold iron .
It takes as i wrote 6 to 8 hours to get handwarm 86 degr F
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hmm, that doesn't make much sense to me. One way I like to think of electronics is that they are small electric heaters. If you really think about the energy consumption, the vast majority is turned into heat (and not actually used for the power output). Also, the 250S should be consuming a fair amount of power. It's main power fuse is rated at 10A for 120v and 5A for 240v. It should not be drawing anywhere near that limit all the time but I have to presume that it does draw over 100 watts. A 100 watt heater in a small metal box should raise the temperature noticeably over the course of 10 minutes. Can you measure how much wattage it's pulling? That should give you an idea of how much heat it is putting out.

Although we have been talking about heat/power, I find it hard to believe that there would be something really "wrong" with the unit if it is playing well. Does it sound ok?
-admin
mojn
Regular
Regular

Post by mojn »

The unit sound still a bit harsh.
I got other speakers of this reason .
Chanched all interconnects to yter . My cd player is the Audia flight Cd One , a player who is known for not to be of the bright side .
And finally the pre Modwright LS 100 with RCA 5692 output tubes an the Philips GZ 34 metal base reticifier.
But still the sound is still a bit bright .