ART 150/300 Anniversary Amplifiers

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Matsaly
Beginner
Beginner

ART 150/300 Anniversary Amplifiers

Post by Matsaly »

The creative talent at cj are introducing several new products. I thought this might be of interest to members on this forum.

http://positive-feedback.com/industry-n ... mplifiers/

I have no affiliation with cj. Contact them directly if you have questions.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ART 150/300 Anniversary Amplifiers

Post by admin »

Very cool. I like the see-through tube cage.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Well that's more like it! Had a feeling the CJ crew were going to offer something of this sort, especially with KT150's.

Now, for those who purchased the ART amplifiers, here's something that comes along and would probably outclass the ART's, and the vicious cycle begins... hooray!

I've heard a few amps with KT150's, ARC Ref 150SE, the new GS series and Ayon integrated. These were driving the Martin Logan Ethos and Summit 'X' speakers, plus listened to the ARC GS series with Sonus Faber Strads and Elipsa's. Although, relatively comparable to solid state bass, the rest was far over-blown. The extended airy highs and smooth open midrange of CJ's designs was as if on steroids on a muscle bound adrenaline adventure...
This is why I love the CJ sound so much, all of that over-blown dynamics is shaped into musicality and allows you to really enjoy your music, rather than be shaken around and thrown all about the room.

To me, the sound was just way off, not really controlled, over bloom in critical frequencies of the midband, only positive aspect was the bass was pretty solid when driving the Sonus Fabers, and although the Martin Logan's were active bass, the KT150's made the midrange sound really "fat." It was not accurate, nor linear not even articulate mid-bass. When switched back to a KT120 and the 6550C, and of course the EL34- aah! now that's what I call music.

I may be presumptive here, without listening to these new KT150 designs and especially from CJ, perhaps they are controlled and well presented, I wouldn't know.

It's great to see that CJ is offering these lovely looking amps and anniversary editions. Price tag, seems to be competing with the best out there. Several anniversary editions come to mind from McIntosh, ARC, VTL, special edition versions all have something special to offer.
US retail is only half that story, Aus prices would be in the heavenly range of 28-30 grand upwards!

I am sure the LP125 series, in form of monoblocks and stereo versions (LP125sa) would be equally good, if not in subtle differences.
One of my fellow mates who was getting the new Martin Logan Ren15, also happens to have a MG20.7 now and is actually getting the new Classic 120 fitted with EL34's. I'm just waiting for an invite when this gear arrives, since the Melbourne dealer is no where near to the new classic amplifiers, still trying to get rid of old stock...

It's definitely a good thing these amps arrive in due time because they could offer a challenge to the well known ones already in the market. Similar high-end sales of around 30 plus grand on amps take place across the road... so to speak. CJ awareness is not getting the right recognition. Other brands such as VTL, ARC, Pass Labs, Jeff Rowland, Accuphase, Luxman, Divialet, and Ayon are getting out there in the limelight. I personally feel CJ sounds way better than any of these put together.

Therefore, this is great timing I think, to introduce these new editions and start people thinking about some serious audio. Whether these new amps such as the new Classic, ART's, anniversary editions etc, would ever make a mark here, I wouldn't know. It would take someone who is very passionate about CJ, to chase the shop owner in order to close a deal... I wonder what text book rule that came out of?
Sounds like Richard Branson saying "the customer is not always right."

By the way, if you do happen to audition these new beauties, do let us know. In the meantime, I will keep a close eye on those new Classic amps supposed to arrive soon, must audition the Classic 120 (EL34) and try to bring one home for a weekend session. Listening in demo rooms at the dealers is very different and has far too many variants, not found in the typical living room.

Until then, thanks for sharing this info, and cheers to CJ's 40th!
RJ
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

It is interesting to see C-J use the new KT-150 tubes. I only saw a couple of amps at AXPONA use these, but there were many using the KT-120. I would trust C-J to get this "right" and voice the new tubes to sound like their other amplifiers.

A 300 watt monoblock. Hmmm...what I could do with that power! ;) Is this the highest-powered monoblock they have ever produced? The largest I can think of, off the top of my head, are the Premier 8s which unleash 275 watts each.
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

1-DSC_9647.JPG
1-DSC_9647.JPG (606.32 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
2-DSC_9659 (3).JPG
2-DSC_9659 (3).JPG (179.27 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
3-DSC_9562.JPG
3-DSC_9562.JPG (694.19 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
-------------------------------------------------
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Custom Server running MC 23
Dual Synology 1512+ 12 TB total storage
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That looks amazing, look at those tubes!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

Incredible!! Still breaking in?
C-J PV-14L/C-J Premier 11/Martin Logan Spires/PS Audio DirectStream Jr./PS Audio AirLens
Technics SL-1210G/Nagaoka MP500/Dynavector XX2 Mk. II/SweetVinyl SugarCube/C-J EV-1
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

Wildcat wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:08 am Incredible!! Still breaking in?
Yea, only 100 hours or so... although they run them in at CJ for 40 or so hours so all in all they have upwards of 150.

They are not quite as pretty as the ART Monos to look at, but they surely are an improvement sound-wise. I really enjoyed the ART Monos but these things fill in the low end like a solid state amp. it was immediately apparent. :D

And 8 KT150s definitely radiate as much heat as 16 KT120s. I'd somehow become delusional in thinking these would run a bit cooler than the Monos.
No way.. but that's OK as I'm a tube guy for better or worse.
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate, now that's one outstanding pre-power combination you would ever need!

Good one, good one. and I should know the at least the type of sound you're getting with those maggies. In our last reference system, when the dealership was going strong, one system that was probably the best in the entire little island of Colombo, was the CJ premier 8 mono's driving the MG20's with a Prem 16LS. Later on we sold odd the 16LS and got an Act2, sonics were improved even further, and then I left and closed all shop!

That was a superb sound indeed, and one that was very easily compatible even with the mighty Infinity's RSB1's and the Apogee Diva system. I will be travelling early next year to ThaiLand via Spore, and plan to audition the new ART150 & 300's. Just to experience the new sota from CJ. Really no point in planning on acquiring these amps in Aus, we're talking drug money pricing over here...

Enjoy mate and do let us know how the sound improves along the way. Most of the amps with KT150's to me were not upto the mark. I listened to the new ARC, plus Ayon integrated, didn't quite have that supreme control factor of KT120's. It was an over-blown sound, and not musical at all whatsoever, although very dynamic, that was about it.

With CJ incorporating these new KT150 tubes, that must be one top notch design, afterall CJ knows and has been building tube amps for decades.
Great stuff indeed, must have a listen sometime soon.
Take it easy and have a glorious one with those maggies and cj mono's- that will be one true top end system, regardless of price, and can easily beat the most dynamic drivers out there. Excellent one mate, well done!
Cheers, RJ
Ray
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Ray »

I'd heard all kinds of reports on KT-150s in general. Like most things in this crazy hobby, the KT150 was either the greatest valve every made or pure crap.. and everything in between depending on who you asked.

In speaking with Jeff at CJ prior, I'd made it clear to him that I liked the ART Monos and would happily live with them forever.. So in essence I was saying that I'd hoped CJ didn't completely change the character of the 300s compared to the Monos.
Jeff had always been very straight with me in the past, so I took a chance on buying the 300s.
Bottom line.. they do in fact meet or beat the ART Monos in every conceivable way. The low end is supurb and going up from there is as good or better than the monos in every respect.
Magnepan 20.7
Conrad Johnson ART 300
Conrad Johnson GAT V2
Meitner MA 1 V2
Wildcat
Master
Master

Post by Wildcat »

I think part of the problem with KT150s is that they are a newer tube, and many manufacturers do not yet have a grasp on what to do with them. C-J was able to harness that tube's unique properties in these newest ART amplifiers to great effect, but others might not. It has also been said that power tubes do not make as much of a difference as the small-signal tubes. Plus, there is always that fear of change by some audio listeners. ;) At AXPONA this year, I saw maybe one or two other amps using the KT150s, but can't remember which manufacturers these were. I think once a few more good products are out there using this tube, it will gain more acceptance. It certainly isn't crap!
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi Ray,

Any update to your ART 300 amps and GAT2? Thoughts, sound quality, etc.?
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe nice to see you're back!
Where have you been hiding and up to? Did you get bored of those Mac monoblocks... Just thought about it because there is another chap here who actually has the Martin Logan Neoliths (140 grand for the pair BTW) up in Sydney. He's using the mighty 2kw monoblocks all Mac setup but recently got tired of the sound until he heard the Ren15A driven with a single Art150, it surpassed the mighty Mac's in every sense of the term "musicality". He claims the Mac's weren't even close!

I would totally agree since I almost nearly settled for a MC452, until I brought home the LP125 monoblocks. I'm not saying that Mac is a bad sound or not good enough, in fact they make some of the best gear money can buy but they don't sound anything like CJ, period!

Which leads to your next question regarding Ray and the sound he's experiencing from his Art300's... Well over here it's over 3days since your question to Ray, all I can assume, he's enjoying the music very very much!

What do you reckon Ray? And yes, just how are those monoblocks doing? We're all eager to learn mate.

Hopefully, the chap who now has the Art150 driving his Martin Logan Ren15A's, is planning on ordering the Art300's by October end. He received news from a CJ dealership based in South East Asia, claims they have nearly closed up the 200 mark on the limited editions... Wow! That was pretty quick indeed, mainly thanks to the well off Asian and middle eastern customers. The majority of top sales has been from Hongkong and neighboring countries. This is where the big bucks are Maties, shipping business magnets, real estate developers and construction project owners. I have already met three of them living here and they have wonderful systems comprising of CJ gear. One of them still has the original Art preamp with the premier 8 monoblocks, and this is where I spend most of my time, listening to that legendary sound of CJ like no other!

The new gear, and especially the latest iteration from the LP series up-to to the Art series, basically seems to have far less of that golden glow or caramel affect. The new classic series amps still have it to a certain extent but definitely not the Art amps. Again I guess it all depends on your personal preference but one thing for sure is that CJ is heading away from that so called colored sound, towards more refined and purer, cleaner and faster bass and most importantly bringing out the best of recorded music... But wait, isn't that what the previous CJ gear was all about in the first place?
Cheers Joe,
Big woof, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Hi RJ,

It’s great to be back. The McIntosh 1.25kw’s were a disaster. I’ve been through a lot of gear after the CJ GAT/ART combo and realize now, more than ever, how much I’ve missed CJ. It was a mistake to sell it. Your comments about the less colored, more truthful with less of that golden glow concerns me. A lot of the newer gear that I sold was way too neutral and truthful for my taste.

My GAT and ART monos were the best I’ve ever heard but I wasn’t smart enough to stop there. I was hooked on trying newer and what I imagined to be better. But I was only let down by a huge margin.

I’m hoping the new top of the line Conrad-Johnson gear doesn’t give up too much of that golden sweetness that I loved so much.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Joe, no doubt mate, that GAT & Art combo you had was SOTA indeed!

That was the very same combination that helped me to try out different configs when I had the Maggie's and Quads, and then finally onto the Martin Logan's.

The newer top line gear from the Art150 onwards is a true masterpiece, with plenty of musicality and power, plus that CJ sound. However, the golden glow has gone, only the classic series still has hints of it.

After careful listening sessions, towards the wee hours of the morning, since everything is so quiet, you can hear every minute detail. The new Art line seems to offer more of the music at its finest and the classic series is simply marvelous for the value.

At the same time, it all depends on what you really want, not what the critics say or the advertising...

For me, I was looking for a sweet musical sounding preamp, with M8080 Mullards. I've found these to be very musical and was stunned at how superb the Classic pre was, just glorious! Then I wanted to match this with one of their newer classic series power amps, and settled for the classic 60se. That was a stellar combination, since it offered that sweet musical sound along with a powerful finish from the 60se.

However, after patiently waiting for the right time, I managed to finalize on a pair of monoblocks, since after all I will end up with the ML CLX's as my final panels towards the end of my life... Therefore, these monoblocks will be the perfect match for the CLX's for my listening preference.

The PV series preamplifiers are no equal to Art's, Gats or premier level, however the music they reproduce is just wonderful! And that combination matched with a powerful LP series monoblock is all that I would ever require from this crazy horse passion of high end audio.

So as you can see, this was my plan and my personal preference and I stuck to it no matter what was offered, even though I had the means. I still very strongly believe in value and performance, not just high price tags. That's just my 50cts of what I've learned along the few decades of the madness.

Similarly Joe, you need to ask yourself what is it you're after? If it is the golden glow, then any of the classic series amps will suit but if you want some serious level of refinement and solid power to match up with even the best SS gear out there, the ART series will deliver, no doubt!

I trust you will have something from CJ once again in no time, and will enjoy your music more than ever with either combination. BTW what happened to your SF Strads? Do you still have those beautiful speakers?
Cheers mate, RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Thanks RJ,

I sold my Strads. Yes, they were good but the tweeter on my Revel and JBL is more to my liking. A lot of people think that SF can be soft or laid back but after a while, I was a little fatigued. Besides, my favorite combo was GAT/ART monos on Revel Studio2. I need to think long and hard about GAT2/ART300 combo.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Ah yes, that can happen on many SF speakers. There are only a handful that do perform beautifully, such as Amati, Elipsa and the Cremona monitors. These were the only ones that gave me a good sense of balance.

As you probably well know, few years back I was very interested in the Elipsa, but after extensive auditions with the Quads, I finalized on the ESL2905's. Wow how time flies, that was back in 2010!

I think your CJ & Revel combo would be fantastic! I guess it's a matter of personal listening tests that have to carried out at this stage. Not sure if you would be able to audition a pair of Revel's with any CJ gear...
Something close would be great but quite far from ideal.

That's even a difficult one over here mate. The very few who do happen to have Revel studio speakers drive them with Vitus Audio or Lamm SS gear as far as I have auditioned, and in fact they sound quite superb!

If I do happen to come across anyone down under using Revel's with tube mono amps, I'll report straight away, at least it should give me an idea of what kind of sound you're after.
Cheers mate, have a good one now
RJ
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Thank you RJ,

Any thoughts on what speakers work best with Conrad Johnson? I know it's a difficult question, especially based on personal taste. I'm not necessarily in the market for new speakers but should something pique my interest, I might be tempted.
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

The ART 300 mono block are beautiful amps!
Timo62
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by Timo62 »

Joe ,
What speakers are you using currently? CJ will sound great on any speaker really.