Telefunken VS Mullard 12AX7 Tubes

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Secretariat
Regular
Regular

Telefunken VS Mullard 12AX7 Tubes

Post by Secretariat »

I am thinking of replacing the 69K5 tubes of my Conrad Johnson Premier 14 Pre-Amplifier to 12AX7 tubes. I believe that both Telefunken and Mullard make 12AX7 tubes. Anyway, for those of you who have an experiences with both Telefunken and Mullard 12AX7 tubes, how do they compare to each other when it comes to sonic character and durability?
Thanks in advance.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Re: Telefunken VS Mullard 12AX7 Tubes

Post by jeffreybehr »

...uhhh...huh? The 6GK5 resembles the 12AX7 only in that both are small vacuumtubes. The former uses 6-Volt filaments, the latter, 12V. The former is a single triode, the latter, dual. The first has 7 pins, the latter, 9.

Did someone tell you this was doable?
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
Secretariat
Regular
Regular

Post by Secretariat »

jeffreybehr wrote:...uhhh...huh? The 6GK5 resembles the 12AX7 only in that both are small vacuumtubes. The former uses 6-Volt filaments, the latter, 12V. The former is a single triode, the latter, dual. The first has 7 pins, the latter, 9.

Did someone tell you this was doable?

Thanks for your quick replay. So I guess, Ill have to replace my tubes with the 6GK5. Anyway, would you know where I can find 6GK5 tubes what what good brands make them?
Thanks again.
ronenash
Pro
Pro

Post by ronenash »

As Secretariat mentioned this is not doable. The 6GK5 is actually not a bad tube and can be had for relatively low prices. Get some GE's, Mullards and Hitachi tubes for cheep on the net. I bought a stash of 6GK5 that will last me a lifetime for my Premier 14 and Premier 15, both sound wonderful.
ronenash
----
Power:CJ ART150, Beard P100, McCormack DNA500, Krell FPB300
Pre:CJ ACT2.1, Pr14, Pr15
Analog:VPI Classic/Falcon/SoundSmith Denon 103R, Lenco L75 rebuild
Digital:J.River-->Chord 2Qude
Speakers:SF Amati Futura