Cartridge matching PV10A

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Joethekid72
Regular
Regular

Cartridge matching PV10A

Post by Joethekid72 »

Hi all,
I've been running a PV10A for years now. I mainly listen to vinyl.. My turntable is a rega with the RB300 tonearm.. My question is regarding the right cartridge match for the built in phono preamp in the PV10A..
I had the best sound with a grado platinum but the hum that presented itself towards the spindle got to me so much that I tried various tweaks to elevate it.. Finally scrapped it.. Currently use a Denon DL-110 high output moving coil with OK results.. But, I miss that grado warmth and midrange..
I'm trying to decide where to go from here.. And i'm asking for experienced advice..
Trying to decide between a dynavevtor 10x5 or the 20x2h or maybe I'm headed in the wrong direction? Should I stay with moving magnet with the PV10A?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Joethekid72
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Cartridge matching PV10A

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Joe,

I don't have a lot of experience in trying different cartridge types or stylus variations but all I can confirm in my experience is:

1. I found on the Rega (RP3) the best so far on my system was the Ortofon 2MBlack.
2. Also used an MC version of this that was far more in price and sounded better in terms of transparency and openness but I didn't want to spend that much just yet.
3. I initially used an Ortofon 2M Blue that was very smooth and delicate warmth, with equally impressive results, the only difference being the 2M black takes this level of performance to slightly higher level of resolution with a good quality phono-stage.

The best cartridge and Analog rig I have listened to so far is the Ortofon Cadenza Black (MC) with a Linn Sondek but that's at a totally different price point for my finances.

Hope that helps!
Cheers, RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I also use a rega turntable with RB300 tonearm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. I can say it sounds great with my PV12 but admittedly I use an external phono preamp so unfortunately I can't comment on the performance of the phono section of a PV10.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Very interesting coincidences. I also use a Dynavector 10 X 5 on a Rega RP6(an RP3 with electronic speed control) in my second system in my bedroom/office. The TT has been modded with a Groovetracer sub platter and Groovetracer dropped counterweight. My cart has been modified with a Soundsmith Ruby retip. The whole process has made a really good TT/Cart combo into a great one.

Btw, don't forget that the Rega arm has no height adjustments. You may require a spacer to set the proper VTA.

Alan
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mates,

Speaking of Rega, have any of you auditioned the new RP3, referred to as the planar 3?

The chappy at the Rega dealer told me not to sweat it, although it is a newer version of the 3 series, it's mostly cosmetic changes and a slightly newer arm. Not much of a price difference either, and probably worth looking at, don't know...

I did listen to a RP10 though just to experience it, now that was REAL nice. About a grand more compared to Gyrodec, I found the Gyrodec to be real smooth and quite dynamic as well but there is something that the Rega does so right, it's quite addictive.
RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I actually use an old planar 3 table. It's pretty old now (from the 80's) but it still works great. As you had said RJ, they made some slight modifications since then but it's pretty close. The RB300 is still considered a great arm. The only "maintenance" I've done to it is replace belt and lubricate the bearing.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, Rega is very reliable and utterly simple to use. Superb value for money, and after I upgraded to the Aria phono stage, I really don't see any point of upgrading anything further, unless I was to spend a considerable large sum. Also the chappy from where I bought the Rega, mentioned the same thing, and although he's one of the owners of the dealership, he really isn't interested in taking you to the cleaners, unlike some other dealers...

He also allowed me to take home several phono stages to try out on the ML Ethos; Cyrus, Aria, Cambridge Audio, Darred, CJ and Allnic being top of the line. For my current budget and the music requirements for the system, the Aria was the best all round. The CJ and Allnic are in different leagues, and the Cyrus was close but again large spending here, around 6 grand and upwards for a highend phono. Maybe a few years from now...

As for now, I'm really enjoying what the RP3 does, and it certainly does very well especially with the Ortofon 2M Black. The Ethos has also nicely settled in and I'm finally turning down the levels, far better coherency and control, smoother transients, fast and articulate, superb linearity and depth.
Magical stuff yet simple, hats of to Rega, Martin Logan and obviously CJ, one fantastic combination.

Cheers mate, RJ