Tubes Tungsol 6650 Reissue or JJ 6550

Discuss and chat about all things Conrad Johnson.
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Tubes Tungsol 6650 Reissue or JJ 6550

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

Hi all CJ members. I need your advice, namely: My CJ Premier 8A, it is about time to replace the tubes. It floats my Tungsol 6550 Reissue or JJ 6550 in mind and do not know which one recommended .Have good and bad information on the Internet read these 2 brands. Now I would like to request information from the members of their opinion which tubes should I take Tungsol 6550 Reissue or JJ 6550? For all recommendations, I am grateful ...Greets :D
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Tubes Tungsol 6650 Reissue or JJ 6550

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hi there, apologies for the late reply. just came across your post only today.
I was just wondering whether you've already tries out your tubes? I have extensive experience with these tubes, and all I can say is it must suit YOUR ears and not mine...

Only you can be the final judge in this experiment of tubes rolling. Both are equally good and may not have any differences on specs nor sound but there will be subtle differences. On the other hand if you were to try the KT120's then there would be a significant difference.
The Tungsols are good and the JJ's are also known for their musicality, you will need to try both types and listen to your favourite tracks and determine which you prefer. At the end, I won't be surprised if you like both, in which case use one set and keep the other as a back up.

I am also aware that you have the Prem 8 monoblocks, that's 16 output tubes overall all, and that's not going to be any easy change over... but worth the try for comparison. Let us know how it goes and which ones you find better, then I will share my thoughts with you.
Cheers, RJ

BTW, nice amps those prem 8A's, look after them well, should serve you many happy years of pure musical bliss. What speakers and preamp are you using?
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

Hi Big Dog RJ,
thanks for the Info..Safe properly is to always follow is trial and tube manufacturer and by your own ears ... Think'll take the Tungsols as I have already in the CJ Premier One b. The CJ Premier One b is a fantastic amp with EL 34 tubes instead of 6550! Superbe mids and highs, deep bass good .... The Premier 8A is connected with the precursor 16 Premier LS MKII. The speakers are KEF Reference 207 ...Greets
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Nice one there with the Premier 1B amplifier. One superb design CJ came up with in the good old days.

I always wanted a Prem 1 but could never find one. Yes, the EL34 properly executed in a powerful circuit can deliver some superb sonics just as you mentioned. In fact the prem 1B will give your Prem 8's a good run for the money...
The Tungsols should work fine and should also last quite a while. Check the bias every month or so just to keep on top of things.
Cheers mate, enjoy those amps, great stuff. RJ
Hatzudokiseizo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hatzudokiseizo »

Hello Big Dog RJ;
..The CJ Premier One with the tubes 6550 will be very difficult to find such a power amplifier which makes them very Rare and is a lover Amp slow. The Premier One b with the EL34 is yet one finds Rarer Practically on this planet do not have more.I with Lew Johnson discussed because of the serial number which should be found in the archive in contact, unfortunately, have the Premier One b the archive bit set .After Lews experience was not 20 CJ Premier One b built in the CJ works with EL34 tubes! The Premier 8A is also slowly becoming a collector's item as are most keep themselves want instead of selling again! The Premier 16 LS MKII (Baby ART preamp) has also become very slow Rar ... For me, the Premier 8A is the finest tubes amplifier in CJ program...
aldinohiend
Advanced
Advanced

Post by aldinohiend »

Aldo
McIntosh MCD 1100
Conrad-Johnson GAT / Conrad-Johnson Premier 350 / Magneplanar 3.7i
Conrad-Johnson Premier 16 LS2 / Conrad-Johnson Premier 140
Conrad-Johnson Premier 18 / Conrad-Johnson MF-2500a / Dynaudio Confidence 5