pstrisik's system

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

pstrisik's system

Post by pstrisik »

So, I took some pics now that the pre-amp is back. Always feels like a work in progress so it would never be finished enough to take photos if I gave in to that.

I've been an audio bug since the 60's and always had basic gear. "Back when" I had an AR turntable, Advent cassette deck, Original Advent speakers and such. I really caught the bug a couple of years ago and am still evolving the system. My hearing peculiarities along with digital hearing aids have made the effort very difficult. It's taken some perfectionist standards just to get to lack of fatigue. Also more effort due to getting stuff back and forth from Alaska!
System
System
system.JPG (143.99 KiB) Viewed 2737 times

On to the system!

What you mostly don't see is the first run at room treatment. I have some more to do. Also a pair of Rythmik F12 subs.

On top of the center console, is a Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 music streamer and DAC (same as their DAC Magic Plus), a Sony Blueray Disc Player above it and a Dune HDSmart D1 to the right for videos. Left side of the console - top is cable set top box, then C-J Premier 17LS, and two little class D ice amps made by Ghent Studios from B&O Ice Modules. One is two channel: 250wpc. The other is three channel for surrounds and center speakers (I don't have a center) - 250watt x1 and 100 watt x2. On the right is an Onkyo PR-SC5508 pre/pro (for controlling video and surround sound) with very quiet fans cooling it. Below that is a Panamax power unit.

[attachment=5]console.JPG[/attachment]

Over to the right is a stack with a Thorens TD145MkII (running through a Musical Fidelity V-LPS phono stage), C-J Premier 11A (75wpc), C-J MF-2250A (125wpc), and a Monster power unit. I don't use both the 11A and 2250A at the same time. Either or.

[attachment=4]stack.JPG[/attachment]

Thorens.......

[attachment=0]thorens.jpg[/attachment]

Pr11A........

[attachment=1]cj-11a-thumb.jpg[/attachment]

The speakers are AR2ax from 1974. I restored them with new pots for the tweeter and midrange level controls, more modern crossover caps, foam surrounds for the woofers, and an oil based re-finish of the walnut veneer - I'm very pleased with how they look. I'm also pleased with the stands - made from materials found at Home Depot. Very heavy 1.5" oak base, sand filled.

AR2ax
AR2ax
2ax.JPG (122.61 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Attachments
Center Console
Center Console
console.JPG (241.06 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Stack
Stack
stack.JPG (215.15 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Pr11A
Pr11A
cj-11a-thumb.jpg (338.04 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Thorens
Thorens
thorens.jpg (168.41 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Re: pstrisik's system

Post by camusmuse »

Quite the beautiful system there! Wish I could have a listen. I too have hearing issues, but not as severe as yours...well not at least. Very interested in the "nuances" you have accomplished to make the system not so "painful" to you. Im pre hearing aid right now, but as they say, the floor and the ceiling are closing in. For those that dont know, most hearing loss starts at the lower and higher frequencies and move in towards the middle. As a child I suffered countless ear infections that burst each eardrum several times, last time it happened was when I was 23, though I still have the "feeling" every now and then I havent burst one in years, thankfully. ...and I wont deny, I am also partially to blame, way too many loud concerts, and for sure I had "STUPID" loud car stereos. I have since moved to sound quality...but alas the damage is done.

Anyway, again, very nice system, gotta run(hate to cut short)....quickly, really like the TT I have the 165 and its a great one, just have to have it as stable as possible. I suspect that is why you have it in the corner....will try to post more later.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Wow, what a great setup. Very nice and all that CJ equipment looks beautiful. I bet it sounds just glorious. I noticed that your central equipment stand is on wheels, I rarely see that but it's a great idea. I know that whenever I want to do some cable management it's a complete nightmare. I wish I had the ability to just role it forward ever so slightly so I could fit behind my rack.

The speakers and their stands look great. Have you ever tried taking the grills off? I have heard some people say that it can have a small effect on the sound. I have not noticed any in my system however.

Once again, great setup. Congratulations! :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

camusmuse wrote:Quite the beautiful system there! Wish I could have a listen. I too have hearing issues, but not as severe as yours...well not at least. Very interested in the "nuances" you have accomplished to make the system not so "painful" to you. Im pre hearing aid right now, but as they say, the floor and the ceiling are closing in. For those that dont know, most hearing loss starts at the lower and higher frequencies and move in towards the middle. As a child I suffered countless ear infections that burst each eardrum several times, last time it happened was when I was 23, though I still have the "feeling" every now and then I havent burst one in years, thankfully. ...and I wont deny, I am also partially to blame, way too many loud concerts, and for sure I had "STUPID" loud car stereos. I have since moved to sound quality...but alas the damage is done.

Anyway, again, very nice system, gotta run(hate to cut short)....quickly, really like the TT I have the 165 and its a great one, just have to have it as stable as possible. I suspect that is why you have it in the corner....will try to post more later.
Thanks camusmuse! The turntable is in the corner out of practicality or maybe necessity. Having a screen in the center limits the tower I can build! :D

It does sound like some of our hearing issues are the same. I never had ear infections or a broken eardrum, but the rest sounds very familiar. Hearing aids are great for being in the world. Not so great for audiophile activities. :(

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

admin wrote:Wow, what a great setup. Very nice and all that CJ equipment looks beautiful. I bet it sounds just glorious. I noticed that your central equipment stand is on wheels, I rarely see that but it's a great idea. I know that whenever I want to do some cable management it's a complete nightmare. I wish I had the ability to just role it forward ever so slightly so I could fit behind my rack.

The speakers and their stands look great. Have you ever tried taking the grills off? I have heard some people say that it can have a small effect on the sound. I have not noticed any in my system however.

Once again, great setup. Congratulations! :)
Thanks Admin!

The wheels definitely help when I need to manage the rat's nest back there!

Have you ever seen the baffle of those old AR speakers! Probably the worst WAF failure possible! :lol: Plus I love the vintage look with the white linen cloth. In fact, I spied speakers that could have been AR's or KLH's during an episode of Madmen, circa 1967.

Seriously, I've been so surprised at these gems. Henry Kloss designed these things and he managed to make them sound glorious despite violating currently favored design principles. For example, all parallel/right angles - a protruding front edge of the cabinet that might affect diffraction, dampening the midrange driver with some kind of pad in front of it. So, I trust that he made it sound good with the grill on. It came glued on, so he never meant for it to be removed at all!

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Once again, very nice setup. Wow, the grill is actually glued on!? You don't see that too much anymore. Clearly the designers didn't think it would interfere with the sound in any way or else it would have not been a permanent attachment. I think the only downside is that if that ever gets dirty it would be difficult to clean. So be careful! :)
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

admin wrote:Once again, very nice setup. Wow, the grill is actually glued on!? You don't see that too much anymore. Clearly the designers didn't think it would interfere with the sound in any way or else it would have not been a permanent attachment. I think the only downside is that if that ever gets dirty it would be difficult to clean. So be careful! :)
I was lucky that they were as clean as they were. I believe they are original. They are removable now. I had to use a putty knife and gently and patiently put pressure around the sides to "break" the hardened, 40 year old glue. As most do with these, I put some velcro tabs on to allow the grills to be removable. I had to get them off to access the innards and to do the refinishing.

Here is a photo of the grill off when I first got them. Ugly mess! Hard to imagine this would sound good! I since painted the baffle flat black and replaced the foam surround on the woofer and reinstalled it with a fresh seal. So it doesn't look so bad now, but still not visually appealing without the grill.

Here are before and after shots:

Thorens TD-145 MkII
[/color]
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

oh now those speaker pics bring back memories. yes they sound nice stock....the woofer is great.... the rest is marginal...inmho. they can be upgraded... as always...the magic question is how much do you want to spend.

and of course, what sounds good to you. as i stated before.....we all have our own sweet spot for what is nirvana.....those look pretty original....even with the mesh grilles...but as the pics show....two different runs of subs...most likely no one can really tell the difference. if they do they have sever audionervoso. or whatever it is called these days.

regardless...if you like the sound...run with it, and enjoy it, dont listen to the naysayers... BUT....i will say, nice speakers, but in reality, the system you have them in, they are the limiting factor. speaker tech hasnt changed much...but drivers to deteriorate...even with refoams. I know others will argue.....BUT...if you are capable....try some Vifa, Peerless, or if the bank roll allows, Focal....

Granted you are in experi"mental" territories...but, I have made several of those speaks sound better than original....but if you are happy with what you got....then run with it..... if you wanna spend more money, I can make suggestions. Again, everyones hearing is different...

honestly still interested in you digital "aids"....logically, just plug a dac into those...or something similar...

Nathan