CJ 2 channel and Home Theater all in one

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
jzaret
Regular
Regular

CJ 2 channel and Home Theater all in one

Post by jzaret »

I thought I would take a few pics of what I have assembled. Any questions, comments, or complaints are welcome. :)

I took these pics with my phone........sorry

Associated Electronics:

Conrad Johnson Act 2 Series 2 Preamp
Conrad Johnson Preimier 350
Rotel RSP-1570 Surround pre amp
Alesis RA-300 amp (used for Sequel II)
Rotel 1070 amp (used for center channel)
Oppo BDP 105 DVD player

SME 10 with SME IV/VI arm and Shelter Harmony cartridge
Nagra VPS Phono Preamp with Viration Platform
VPI 16.5 Record Cleaning Machine

Marin Logan CLS iiZ, Sequel II, Theater i and Depth

New audio rack(s)

GIK panels - 2 242's, 2 244's, and 4 TriTraps

DirecTV HD DVR satellite receiver
Panasonic HD Plasma 50" TV

Interconnects and speaker cables
Tara Labs – The One ISM, RSC Vector 1s and RSC Gen 1&2 interconnects , RSC Vector 1 speaker cables (CLS) and Prism Bi-wire (Sequel II),

Audioquest Python Phono cable, Audioquest Sub-3 Subwoofer cable

Power cords - Tara Labs – Prism AC Special power cords, DIY Cable, Shunyata venom 3, Shunyata Python CX, Running Springs Mongoose, Audience
DIY Cable – Asylum Power Cables

Herbie’s Audio Lab - Isolation Feet – Ball-Cup BIG Tenderfoot with Gabon Ebony Ball and Big Tenderfoot

Power Conditioning
Running Springs Jaco
APC H15 Power Center

Homemade "Brightstar" TT platform made for the sub and turntable but not being used
Attachments
front.jpg
front.jpg (256.91 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
right.jpg
right.jpg (266.91 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
right-rear.jpg
right-rear.jpg (225.36 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CJ 2 channel and Home Theater all in one

Post by admin »

Great system! I can definitely associate with your setup as I use many of the same manufactures (and models). Conrad Johnson (obviously), oppo players, Martin Logan Speakers, even the APC power conditioner (I have the same model except in black).

Few quick questions. Planar speakers are always difficult to position, I see that the your R surround is very close to the wall, any sonic issues with this? Also, the clock doesn't rattle off of the sub? :)

I see you have the new oppo bdp-105. How do you like the picture quality? Do you like it's DAC? I'm a big oppo fan.

Looks like a great sounding system.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
jzaret
Regular
Regular

Post by jzaret »

Well both right and left surrounds are close to the wall. It was the only solution I had. I have no back wall because it is open to the kitchen. The left one is the same as the right and also by a sliding glass door. There really has not been an issue. Of course I would have preferred to move them farther out but then there would be no way to walk in to the room on either side. :) They are essentially surrounds so what is presented is not an issue. I can hear them fine and there is no "ring" or doubling of sound. With SACD or DVD-A they sound just great. The Sequel ii's are pretty amazing on their own. When I want to really get in and listen to 2 channel or Multi-channel. I put one of the extra GIK 242 on my center channel to cover the TV and the other one on the left side by the sliding glass door. I had a stand make to match the stands of the front speakers.

Believe it or not the clock does not rattle or move at all. It is an ATMOS clock, it works on atmospheric pressure.

I really do like the Oppo BDP-105. It really is an amazing piece.The video DAC's are newer than the ones in my Rotel so I run my DirectV box in to the Oppo and bypass the Rotel for video. There is a slightly better/crisper color difference. The audio DACs are pretty amazing and definitely a step up. I had/have a Luxman DU-7i which was a really good piece but had no HDMI and Blu-Ray capability. I need to sell the Luxman now. :o

It took years to build this. It is amazing after a divorce (long time ago) and when you have grown kids all the toys seem to come back home. :D :D At this point I think anything else would just change things not necessarily improve them.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice. Having the back of the room open probably helps in the sound. Prior to building my home theater room I had my stereo in a smaller room with the back of the room having two glass double doors leading into the rest of the house. There was a noticeable improvement in the sound with the doors open vs closed. I would love to get the BDP-105 myself but it's kind of a hard sell as I only use my current oppo as a transport and use a Conrad Johnson D/A-2b for the DAC. Maybe one of these days. :) I would love to take a look at what blu-ray upscaled to 4k looks like on a 4k capable projector. I know the oppo has this new 4k upscaling technology built in and oppo always seems to use the best scalers available. This was true in their early DVD players, and even now in their blu-ray players. Congrats on the excellent items!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Jim Treanor
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jim Treanor »

That is a great system. Who manufactures the equipment racks?
Living Room: Premier 17LS, MF2500, Win10 laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm SE-3
Bedroom: Luminous Audio Axiom II, MF2500, Win10 Laptop, TEAC UD501, Paradigm Studio 20 v.5
Home Office: Luminous Audio Axiom II, Sonographe SA250, Paradigm SE-1
jzaret
Regular
Regular

Post by jzaret »

Thanks Jim
Honestly I do not know. I got them at Lowes. LOL Really. They look good and are ok. They are not spiked in to the carpet which I would have liked but they are now. I have most of the equipment on Herbie's isolation feet. I would have liked to have a couple more but I cannot find them any more. The company that made them was called Real Organized but I have looked and cannot find those any more. :( Well I guess I cannot but anything more. LOL
Mr_BT
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by Mr_BT »

Great system!

These CLS of yours makes me very, very jealous!
camusmuse
Pro
Pro

Post by camusmuse »

admin wrote:Nice. Having the back of the room open probably helps in the sound. Prior to building my home theater room I had my stereo in a smaller room with the back of the room having two glass double doors leading into the rest of the house. There was a noticeable improvement in the sound with the doors open vs closed. I would love to get the BDP-105 myself but it's kind of a hard sell as I only use my current oppo as a transport and use a Conrad Johnson D/A-2b for the DAC. Maybe one of these days. :) I would love to take a look at what blu-ray upscaled to 4k looks like on a 4k capable projector. I know the oppo has this new 4k upscaling technology built in and oppo always seems to use the best scalers available. This was true in their early DVD players, and even now in their blu-ray players. Congrats on the excellent items!

Hate to hijack, but will throw this out to the admin...if you do make that transition, I would like to be first in line for the D/A -2b if it is available.

Just to contribute...lol....

My experience with any kind of planar is the further away from the wall, and the ear, the better. Obviously there are limitations. One trick I have learned, though I am not sure if it would apply to your system(OP) is to turn the "rear" speakers so they are at a 90 degree angle, firing backwards. That way you can let the sound travel down the wall so to speak and make the room seem bigger(maybe). True they are no longer "point source" speakers, but rears really arent supposed to be. Yes it may muddy up the sound some bouncing off the walls and whatever else is behind you, but it may sound like it is coming from further away and give more depth to the rears. Just a thought. I did it with a pair of Maggies for front speakers in a REALLY small room once, turned them upside down(so they were plumb and not angled like from factory) and facing apart and the imaging was quite amazing....yrmv.....
jzaret
Regular
Regular

Post by jzaret »

Camusmuse,
Thanks for the suggestions but. It is open behind where I sit. The left surround speaker opens to the kitchen and the right surround opens to the hallway leading to the living room so they will just out and not return. :(
Actually the effect I do get it like one big set of headphones . With the "side" surrounds I have not choice of the placement and the panels are about 12 or so inches from the wall. The CLS's are angled (toed-in) They are 33 inches from the inside and I believe 43 at the outside from the rear wall. If I remember I believe they are at least 24 inches from the side walls.

With the ACT2 and the toe in it does give a very holographic image with 2 channel. :)
Hope that clarifies it a bit.

Jeff