Wes_in_VA's living room setup

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
wes_in_va
Regular
Regular

Wes_in_VA's living room setup

Post by wes_in_va »

I've recently become the lucky owner of a PV12 preamp, replacing my Audible Illusions Modulus 2B. I thought the AI was great...until I got my CJ.

The current setup replaces the Emotiva ERC-2 cdp with a Shanling CD-3000. Preamp is of course the PV12. Amplification is a Legacy 4/3/2 amp feeding into B&W Matrix 803 S2 speakers.
I had never imagined having a system this nice. The soundstage is huge and the music is nothing if not involving. "Enveloping" is a better word for it.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wes_in_VA's living room setup

Post by admin »

Nice setup. It has very retro look to it, but nice. Clean lines and setup. Very cool!

So what's your opinion on the Emotiva line? They have really taken the audiophile world by storm. Selling direct at bargain prices. I find that the discussion on most forums about emotiva is very polarized, people either love it or hate it.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
wes_in_va
Regular
Regular

Post by wes_in_va »

admin wrote:Nice setup. It has very retro look to it, but nice. Clean lines and setup. Very cool!

So what's your opinion on the Emotiva line? They have really taken the audiophile world by storm. Selling direct at bargain prices. I find that the discussion on most forums about emotiva is very polarized, people either love it or hate it.
I guess I totally missed this question!
I had moved my Emotiva down to my listening room since I didn't listen to much digital down there: that system runs either an AR-XB or a Thorens TD 160 into an Acoustat RP2 preamp and Eico HF20's modded to run as pure monoblocks.
The Emotiva only stayed down there for about a month before I realized that I just wasn't going to use it. I ended up selling it on Audiokarma.

The Emotiva was hard to beat for the money but once I discovered vinyl, it just wasn't going to get used. I will say that compared to my Shanling--a player that cost about 4 times as much as the Emotiva when it was new--the Emotiva definitely had more "hash" to the sound.
wes_in_va
Regular
Regular

Post by wes_in_va »

Oh yeah: I've also installed an analog front end in this system with a Rega Planar 2/Audioquest PT6/Denon DL 103M running into a modded Cambridge Audio 640p.

admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Very nice upgrades. I use a Rega turntable as well and I think they produce some of the most "bang for your buck" turntables out there.

Let me ask you this, do you use any kind of power conditioner/surge protection? From the picture, it looks like you have components plugged directly into the wall (but I could be wrong). We have pretty lousy power up here in New Hampshire with storms causing outages, brownouts, and even high voltages. It's nice to be able to disconnect from the grid if needed, or at least have a little surge protection.

Also, it looks as if your using some coasters for the components? Anything special. You may have seen my coaster feet that I made in the "DIY" portion of the site, so I am always interested in what other people use.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
wes_in_va
Regular
Regular

Post by wes_in_va »

I do have most everything on a power conditioner. The only thing that isn't at this point is the external power supply for the phono pre.

My stuff is sitting on the Vibrapod footers. I think they make a difference, particularly with the tt. It's pretty much immune from vibration issues.
arnel
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by arnel »

That's a gorgeous console. Where did you get it?
pstrisik
Super Pro
Super Pro

Post by pstrisik »

arnel wrote:That's a gorgeous console. Where did you get it?
My guess is 1960's Scandinavian teak that was very popular in the day. No money on it though! 8-)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Peter

Dennis Had Inspire LP-2 preamp
Dennis Had Inspire KT150 amp
Thorens TD-145 MkII
Restored AR 2ax', Omega Super 7 XRS Alnicos
Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6/DAC Magic +
[/color]
joeinid
Pro Master
Pro Master

Post by joeinid »

Awesome setup Wes! Looks so beautiful.
jeffreybehr
Master Apprentice
Master Apprentice

Post by jeffreybehr »

joeinid wrote:Awesome setup Wes! Looks so beautiful.
...except that not a one of the pics works.
Tin-eared audiofool, large-scale-Classical-music lover, and damned-amateur fotografer.
William Bruce Cameron: "...not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
diwakarv
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by diwakarv »

admin wrote:Nice setup. It has very retro look to it, but nice. Clean lines and setup. Very cool!

I am not sure whether it makes sense to answer this quesion so late but
in my opinion, emotiva is OK for the price paid but nothing of HiFi sort.

I moved from Emotiva line up ( XDA-2, XSP-1,UPA-200) to CJ HD3 USB/ET3 SE/ classic sixty with focal 1027 BE as my speakers.