Conrad Johnson system environment

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

Post by antaresbluespirit »

Here is my system whitch consist of a"classical" steréo channels for audio as well as video

All units are standart "no tweak" , CJ are fitted with NOS tube to give "their best" (GE for PV8 ,Telefunken and Mullard for PV10A)

others amp system BEARD P35mkII+ C35preamp will be shown separatly

Raymond
Attachments
Blois-20120831-00138.jpg (346.06 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
CJ PV10A (preamp) CJ PV8 (preamp) CJMV60SE (amp)
CJ PV10A (preamp) CJ PV8 (preamp) CJMV60SE (amp)
Blois-20120831-00136.jpg (339.1 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
CONFLUENCE "Cantilène" and "Odyssee"
CONFLUENCE "Cantilène" and "Odyssee"
Blois-20120831-00137.jpg (323.6 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
THORENS TD 124 mKII+ SME 3012/II+AT 33"PTG"+ T20 Ortofon (transformer)
THORENS TD 124 mKII+ SME 3012/II+AT 33"PTG"+ T20 Ortofon (transformer)
Blois-20120831-00133.jpg (409 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
CD STUDER A 730
CD STUDER A 730
Blois-20120831-00134.jpg (416.22 KiB) Viewed 3157 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Conrad Johnson system environment

Post by admin »

Awesome system. Nice to see just a big rack of Conrad Johnson equipment! I like the old school stuff like the Thorens turntable and the CD player. Very nice.

It looks like you have two CJ preamps (I can't make out the model numbers). Is there are reason for having two?

Once again, awesome setup!
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Animal
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Animal »

If I had to guess, I'd guess the lower preamp is a solid state PF1 and the one on top is maybe a PV10A?
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The front bevel of the PF1 is like that, however, I thought there were black lines going across the bottom third?

I agree, the top looks like the PV10.

Gee, this is fun. Maybe we should make a "Guess the CJ model" thread where we post distant or blurry shots and people try to guess the model? :)
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

You'll find the answers to the bottom line of the pictures!... ;) .the top is the PV10A and the middle the PV8 (I agree, the front is similar to the PF1 as well as the PV11)

I describe the PV8 within the preamp topics (I had some problem to keep the picture well adjusted ,the right part of the unit is missing, due to a scale after data recording?)

So,I listen to the PV10A and PV8 in alternative with the amp to change the sound "easthetic"since the NOS tube are different

With the NOS 12AU7 "telefunken" in line ,the PV10A gives its best in term of accuracy and aeration in the hight with the voices in keeping a good matters

The PV8 soundstage (large and depth), rythm and matters are very good (see the preamp chapter review)

My opinion is that a peamp input is sensitive as far has you got the right partership between the amp and the loudspeakers

I always dreaming about the "graal" in this field to get the best (matters,dynamic,acuracy,aeration,soundstage) and according to lew johnson, the preamp is probably the most difficult electronic part to "bring into focus".....in my mind ,I think we have to use many preamps to get this result... :)

Raymond
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ha, we should have just read the attachment comments! :)

So basically you switch back and forth between the two preamps to get whatever sound "flavor" you want to go with each particular album? That's cool. Is it not somewhat of a hassle to constantly rewire everything each time you change music? Or is there one set up with the turntable and the other one with the CD player, and thus you only have to change the interconnects between the preamp and amp? Very unique setup, but I can definitely see the potential in having multiple preamps in the system to suit qualities of the actual music being played. Very cool.
-admin
antaresbluespirit
Pro
Pro

It takes two minits to change the interconect either from the CD or Turntable and the amp in my configuration..(access easy)

For the song , the jazz voice in solo I, appreciate the PV10A with the telefunken acuracy, and for larger group in blues or jazz in live recording ,the bigger soundstage of the PV8 is valuable ...just to explain but at the end I change the preamp only once a week...

Anyway the valve technology allows to change the sound as we wish in respect of the valve brand ....that's magic! it is the same with the Cartridge in using vinyl

My next step would be to find a CJ ""premier ten preamp that is very rare....and perhaps some up grade in bi-amp but I have to try it since I am very conservative when a system works properly , the risk is to lost more ....

Raymond