Adding the GAT 2!

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Adding the GAT 2!

Post by TONEPUB »

It's pretty much official, I've really fallen in love with the GAT 2 after the review. I think this baby is staying...
jeff CJ Syst.jpg
jeff CJ Syst.jpg (295.92 KiB) Viewed 3249 times
Publisher, TONEAudio Magazine
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: Adding the GAT 2!

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey mate, nice to see the GATS2 and especially the Quads!

I previously had the same amp (MV60SE with KT120's) before upgrading to a Classic 60SE, which I think is better overall in performance in having an output circuit designed around the KT120. I had the ACT2 with the Classic 60SE and it was probably the best pre-power config I ever had from CJ.
I also had the Quad ESL 2905, plenty of issues with it though, didn't last too long since 2011.

Now, I have the Martin Logan Ethos, driven with the CAV45 (control amp with EL34's, rated at just 45w/ch). Best system I ever had, and I have had some pretty massive gear in the past including big Manley 350 watt tube monoblocks with Infinities IRS 1B's- plus maggies and other ribbons like Apogee's.

With this simple system that I now have, all I can say is it reproduces pure music to such a great effect of transparency and realism that the other big systems could not match, even the big Quads! No where close...

I can truthfully tell you this though, your entire experience will be on a whole different level if you were to replace your Quads with ML hybrids. It will take the mv60SE and GAT to another level that you haven't experienced, believe me I know, since I also had the GAT on loan for a while...
The true nature of "high-end quality" from CJ will be utterly transparent on ML's.

I know these aren't for everyone but the soundstage and musicality thought to be good on certain panel speakers are only good to a certain point. Once you experience CJ on ML's you will be astounded!
Cheers, RJ
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

Well, actually, I've owned nearly every ML speaker ever made. A big fan. However, in this room the Quads do the job and they
do something that no other speaker, not even the ML does. I just got done reviewing the ML Neoliths that were our Speaker of the Year, and have used the CLX, Summit and CLS IIz as references.

Just got the new Renaissance in for review and with the new DSP woofers are pretty cool. Using them with a complete Pass Xs system in the main room.
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

That setup looks amazing.

By the way, what did you think of the ML Neoliths. I haven't heard them myself but those just look like incredible speakers (both in design and price).
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

Thanks. That's room two. Here's the big room, albeit a little messy right now:

The Neoliths are fantastic, review is right here. http://www.tonepublications.com/review/ ... y-neolith/

MartinLogan really knocked it out of the park, but they are fairly big, size wise and they are 80 grand. However, they do deliver the goods. Best
speaker they've ever made.
Attachments
rooom.jpg
rooom.jpg (201.17 KiB) Viewed 3235 times
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Agree that Quads do something nice to the soundstage and they are very pleasing to the ear. Very relaxed expansive and deep soundstage, certainly a sound that I got quite used to over 2.5 decades. My old pops had the Apogee Diva's back in home town, and together we have had many memorable listening sessions, very lively and full of energy. Required some hefty amplification though, not everyone's cup of tea & budgets, plus large room...
He never liked the Quads, always said they were too soft, far too laid back and usuall made his fall asleep, which I agree when you're used to a large ribbon transducer like Apogee driven with massive ARC & Krell monoblocks. Nonetheless, I always found myself going back to Quads for some reason...

I have taken my 2905's fully apart during repairs, from top to bottom and found the workmanship and QC to be very poor for their price point. What's coming out of China now is not upto par even compared to the old ESL 63's that were originally made in UK. The biggest mistake Quad & IAG ever did. The workmanship on the ML's are far superior, and the service centre in Australia/distributor and dealership are equally superb. They have gotten off onto a good start, trust they are able to maintain this level of reliability. I am now the 7th owner who has changed over from Quad to ML's since 2010.

For me, the reference point is the CLX Art, driven with a Class A 30w Pass XA30.8 amp and partnered with a Leben tube line stage was just marvellous! I know the Neolith is capable of more dynamic bass and powerful mid bass slam but to me that's basically a Summit on Steroids.

The CLX has a way of portraying musical tones in the most natural form possible, and delivers this with utter transparency that is truly remarkable. The bass does not go as low compared to their hybrids but it is a different kind of bass, which I did like. Very clean, articulate, lighting fast, and extremely linear, with no compression whatsoever even on loud passages.

Pass Labs with ML's works wonders, and the sound is just top notch. On an equal note, with tubes it would be CJ for my preference and with ML's they are extraordinary! The top end sizzle and extended airy highs of CJ is well captured and reproduced on ML's. And the midrange down to mid bass is outstanding! With the EL34's driving the panels, it has a way of expanding that midrange tone to full effect that I had not heard on any of my systems before. I guess it boils down to personal preferences, and since you like the Quads, with CJ they are a very good match.

I like those Pass X monoblocks by the way, so what are your main speakers now?

The ML Renaissance is quite expensive, and will be offered in Melbourne early 2017. They are priced higher than the CLX. With that kind of spend, I think the Summits with Pass XA series amplification will do the job equally well.
Cheers, RJ
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

Not talking about 2905s. It's known that they had a ton of trouble with that model. The new 2812 and 2815 have definitely got the bugs out. Had the CLXs for a few years driven by a pair of Burmester 911s in mono. Excellent speakers, i had #5 and #6. Went to ML to oversee final assembly and the folks in Kansas were kind enough to let me screw the driver boards in. Neolith and CLX are not anywhere near the same speaker.

Main speakers now are GamuT RS5is, while I'm waiting for my GamuT Zodiacs to be finished. The new Renaissance is quite a few steps above the Summit in every way. The panel is cleaner and more transparent and thanks to the DSP woofers, bass is better, easier to integrate and offers more placement options as well. Not that a pair of inexpensive, used Summits aren't a bad speaker.
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Yes, good stuff mate. That's really cool that they allowed you to visit and help in production! Now that's what I call a true customer experience.

The newer Quads are not better, although 2912 series and so on- they have had many issues with the Chinese production. Mate of mine who just bought a pair of 2912's brand new, were faulty only after a few months, still under warranty. Now they have taken the issue up with IAG in China, they don't have a clue as to what's wrong, they're speculating somethings wrong with the coils... what bloody coils? All 6 panels have been replaced on one speaker and the other is still crackling, plus one is still sputtering every now and then. It has been over 4 months and they still cannot seem to fix it. The customer has paid and is running out of patience... definitely not an upgrade in parts or service regardless of what model.

Speaking of DSP, the Summits and Ethos also have DSP powered woofers. What makes the Ren 15 different is ARC- Anthem Room Correction- system software that can be downloaded from ML. The user also needs to purchase a Mic kit from ML, using these two tools, the ARC system can be utilised to correct the room perfectly. On the back of the Ren 15's you will see an input jack for this feature as well as Room EQ switches.

This is the main upgrade / difference in the Ren 15's design. DSP is quite superb by the way, and it integrates extremely well with their new hybrids. The Theos and Montis don't have this feature of active bass, hence require solid amplification to take full control of the. In fact my dealer prefers the Summits and Ren15 compared to the CLX. I still find the CLX as the most truthful to natural music.

Hey mate, I was just wondering if you would happen to know: would ML continue with the "Reserve" series?
Are they going to stick to just one Masterpiece series and have the ESL line as well or drop everything else and have only the Masterpiece line?
Will they continue to offer the CLX? I guess this is their only full range stat, would be a shame if that was discontinued, although they still make panels for older monoliths and CLS IIZ's.

Cheers mate, RJ
TONEPUB
Regular
Regular

Post by TONEPUB »

The summits do not have any kind of dsp built in. You talk a lot but know precious little. As I said in the last post, I'll leave this forum to you. You're Mr know it all. Gday.
The Audiophile Apartment
Analogaholic
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Was that really necessary?

Although I have been around high end gear since the last 3 decades, I am certainly not a Mr. know it all. I am still learning and would like to learn new things as much as possible from fellow mates.

My intentions were not to offend you, and sorry if I did.

Point noted about the Summits- they don't have built in DSP, unlike the Ethos. My dealer mentioned something about DSP, so I thought that the Summits being in a higher performance category may have DSP... Thanks for pointing that out and I stand corrected.

We all make mistakes, and some of us learn from those mistakes. I hope we can continue to see some new posts from humble people who enjoy their music and most of all CJ gear.

It's been a pleasure talking with you, and thanks for all the good advice.
Take it easy mate, RJ