Alan's System with New Martin Logans

Post your system to the site for everyone to see!
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Alan's System with New Martin Logans

Post by adeep42 »

Received new ML Summit X's today. I'm really delighted.
Attachments
FullSizeRender 5.jpg
FullSizeRender 5.jpg (82.48 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alan's System with New Martin Logans

Post by admin »

Absolutely stunning. Wow! I had ML vantages previously and just loved them. The summit X's are obviously even better speakers so I'm sure they sound wonderful. How close do you have them to the back wall? I found the Vantages sounding better a few feet off the wall. I see you have acoustic treatments behind the panels which I'm sure help.

Again, beautiful setup, congrats.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Thanks admin, Right out of the box, they sound great. Am running them constantly with my very varied iTunes through my DAC. When they're broken in will start to fine tune. The panels are about 3 feet away from the back wall. Woofer enclosures are about 15 inches from the wall.

Btw, there are some great deals out there for Martin Logans as they have some new product coming out.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day mate, big dog here.

Ah! now that's what I'm talking about, way cool mate, well done on your new purchase!
As I said in my pm; these are all you would ever need. Now you will begin to realise the true potential of CJ amplification and what they are capable of. CJ amplification sounds good on quite a lot of systems but they sound exceptional on ML's.
Every minute detail, inner detail, subtle nuances, immense depth, and an incredible 3-D soundstage will appear right in front of you. You would actually at one point get up and want to shake hands with each musician!

The CA200 will also be an excellent match with the Summits. At 200 w/ch it will deliver! Remember that the Summits have two bass level controls, one for 25Hz and one for 50Hz. These are there for proper room interaction and bass response, plus the Summits can drop down to 24Hz. That's superb low level detail that you have not heard before. You will also find along the way, during the break in process, the bass will respond more freely, it will also be super fast and will at one point blend with the panel at a seamless position. That's the position you want to set the level controls at.

This is not going to be any easy task, it took me over a week to set just one control. Your Summits have two; therefore you will require more time to dial these in just right. You cannot obviously go on correcting these controls for every track but there will be a point where these will settle in very nicely, and you will notice it straight away but be patient.
Another thing, note that the default settings at "zero" is not flat response; it is bass boosted, therefore may require you to turn down further to minus levels. In fact on the Ethos I have the settings set at -4.

With placement, I would try to bring the Summits as far out as possible. At least 5ft away from the front wall- remember these are big stat panels with super low bass drivers- that requires space to breathe! Placing the panels around 8-9ft away is best for that incredible soundstage. The speakers will disappear, simply vanish into thin air and all that is left is pure performance. In order to achieve this, you have to give it adequate room. Even the sides require at least 2-3ft away from side interaction because the music expands beyond the edges of the panels. When this happens, you will actually turn your head to that side when transients and performers are placed on the sides of the stage- this is something spectacular to experience and is quite spooky! No other speaker can do this with superb realism and total transparency. That's what makes ML's special when placed right.

These can also play levels really loud and have a tolerance on the panels of up to 10,000 volts like no other, hence arcing is never an issue unlike Quads- absolute nightmare! If you think your digital playback is great, just wait till you here LP's, you will probably fall off your chair mate!

Enjoy mate, and get ready for a ride of a lifetime!
Cheers to your Martin Logan's, and most of all your CJ amp, that will make these things just sing!
RJ
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Thanks Big Dog,

About 20 hours of break in so far (left them on overnight). Am feeling really pleased with my purchase. Interesting that the bass controls "0" setting is not flat. From the get go took them down just a tad because the bass was sounding a wee bit forward. I know that I'll be back to those controls after adjusting placement, toe in, etc in time. Plus the fact that I'm not used to the bass extension the Summit X's are capable off. Don't think I can move the speakers that much more off the back wall. Maybe another 6 inches to a foot. If you notice in the pic they are getting a ton of air. on the left is my dinning area and there's a down stairway on the right, so there's really no sidewall.

Best regards and thanks again for your generous inputs on the forums and PMs,

Alan
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

No worries mate, glad to hear that they are settling in well.

Okay, if you can get them more forwards away from that back wall, even a few inches to a foot really counts. These ML hybrids have a really special 3-D effect when placed right, and it is super incredible! Just last night I was listening to Bill Evan's Last Waltz for Debbie, and my golly! The soundstage expands beyond the edges of the speakers to such an effect, that you actually will turn your head and look at that side!

On the last couple tracks on side B of the LP, they seem to be playing in a cafe style setting, you can hear people cough, move cutlery around, clinking of wine glasses and then all of a sudden someone sneezes! It comes directly from the right channel but is there in front of you on your right. I am not sure whether it is one of the performers or a member of the Audience but that sneeze is so spooky, I actually wanted to get up and hand that person a tissue. Your Summits will deliver this type of soundstage only when you get that placement right.

As with most highend designs, the usual attributes are all there- soundstage, depth, transient control/response, transparency, timbrel accuracy, subtle tones and nuances etc., Through ML's all these attributes are taken to another level and the transparency and realism is like no other! Spectacular soundstage and effortless transparency. You should experience all these around the two week mark.

Anyway, let us know how it all goes, I am very glad that you got the Summits mate, ML hybrids are just superb!
Cheers and enjoy, RJ
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Alan,

How are the Summits going? I don't see you jumping up and down for joy...
Is everything alright? Is the CA200 upto the mark? You should be getting a huge improvement by now; drop us a line when you can and let us know all about it.

My Ethos are well settled in now and just last night I had to turn down the bass by one notch again, to -6. You will find apart from the panel, the most significant improement will be the bass definition. At one point it should begin to flow effortlessly and not "push" too much air, rather respnd to the incoming signal with similar speed to the panel. This is something that ML does a superb job of, as Admin had previously commented.

Once you get the bass and panel speed well integrated, you will notice an absolute dsitortion free, powerful and linear bass. You will also hear some bass lines that you never experienced before, and once that happens- you've hit the spot!
Cheers mate, RJ
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Hello RJ

The Summit X's are astoundingly fine. I am totally satisfied with my purchase. Since my last up date, they are entirely broken in. I'm happy with their location and have installed the spikes. Have added some high quality power cables as well as new speaker cables. The power cables are from Signal Cable ( http://www.signalcable.com ), a local company that has provided all my interconnects. The speaker cables are Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval 8. They came from a terrific high end accessory provider, The Cable Company's Used Cable Division. Check them out at http://www.thecablecompany.com. As far as bass adjustments. still about the same, -1 at 50Hz and -.5 at 25Hz. Don't think I need to tone them down as much as you do, seeing your photos, I have a lot more air around mine, but I'm still experimenting.

The CA200 continues to be my pride and joy. It seems unfazed by the impedance demands of the MLs. Even after running all day, you can touch the heat sinks without any fear. I am completely delighted with how the CA200 and the Summits interact.

By the way, I am a huge Bill Evans fan too. When evaluating new components the two pianists I like to listen to are Bill Evans and Thelonious Monk. I also like to use a mono recording of Maria Callas. For bass, I usually go to some rock or reggae and Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man.

Best regards,

Alan
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Excellent stuff mate, glad to hear that all is well in the land of the Summits!
As they settle in more, you will find the bass frequencies becoming smoother and more controlled, finer adjustments may be required down the line. ML bass level controls are very good and easy to level properly with 0.5 increments that make a difference.

Cheers mate and all the best!
Big woof! RJ
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thumbs up for Signal Cable as well. I use some of their products in my system and they are very good quality for a reasonable price.
-admin
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Allan,
Just wanted to check in... How are your Summit's going?
Trust they must be sounding superb by now, well settled in and very open and transparent.

I was very excited to report, just this arvo I was at another ML dealer's place and he just sold off the last pair of Summit X's to a very happy well known customer. It was an interesting experience because he was demoing with the ARC Ref75se. He was not impressed and neither was I. So when we finally arrived at his place and set up the Summit's, hooked up his marvelous Classic 120 (EL34 version) partnered with a Classic SE preamp, wow what a beautiful sound and superb presentation of detail and depth. The big ARC Ref75se was no where close...

There is just some magic that takes place between CJ & ML, it's as if they were manufactured side by side and mated as a complete package for transducer and amplification. Simply marvelous!

Just wanted to share with you and hope you're enjoying those Summit's more than anything.
Cheers mate, RJ
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Hello RJ,
It's been over a year since I've posted. Reason is I left the CJ fold reluctantly. As much as i really loved my CA200, I just had a hankering for tubes. Was doing a lot of research on CJ and others. Wound up with PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium pre-amp and two Dialogue Premium amps as mono blocks. I'm really happy with them and so are the Summit Xs. The system sounds superb and I am listening more than ever.

Best regards to you and all the CJers,

Alan
Attachments
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0141.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 1891 times
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Alan,
Great looking setup. I like the new component stand. As a previous Margin Logan owner I can really appreciate your system. Even without the CJ you are always welcome here. Plus, owning a CJ unit buys you lifetime membership in the club! :)
-admin
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Thanks Admin, appreciate the kind words and happily accept my lifetime membership.

Alan
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Hey Alan, very nice one indeed!

Definitely very glad to hear that you've moved towards tubes! And yes with ML stat panels, it is a marvelous match!
You should be getting some very good depth and added nuances that are more natural & transparent coming through the Summit's.

The main ML dealer from where I got the CLX Art's, also offers Prima Luna. Most of his demo's with PL are partnered with Harbeth's. He very rarely changes this combo with ML's, unless someone requests for it. Perhaps I should mention this to him so that he might discover another wonderful amplifier to drive the new ML Masterpiece series.

BTW, what tubes do the monoblocks employ?
I can see that the preamp incorporates the 300B's, correct? That would be a definite sweet sound from the start! Very nice, look after it well and enjoy that wonderful musicality.

Cheers mate, RJ
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Thanks RJ,

I'm running the amps with KT120s. Even though the EL34 have that wonderful mid-range, overall I really like the 120's. In ultra linear, they're 84 WPC. I always use triode at 42WPC. Those big tube in the preamp are not 300Bs. They are NOS Phillips 5R4GY6s replacing the stock 5AR4s rectifier tubes.

Now congratulations to you on the CLXs and your amp and preamp upgrades. That's a really spectacular system. I am sure it sounds superb.

Alan
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Thanks for your message Alan,

and clarifying the tubes. Certainly looks 300B's, I always mix these up...
Monoblocks on ML's are always a treat, brings out the best in them and takes full grip of the panels, which is exactly what they need.

Yes, the CLXArt's are superb indeed! Driving the older CLS full range back in the day was hard enough...
With various changes and advancements made on the new CLX design, some of these radical changes are so apparent that it not only brings out the best of the music but also captures every minute detail on the recording and delivers, this with a very fine touch.

I tailor made the sound I was after, by utilizing the LP125 mono amps, which is not too much power, just perfect for full control on the panels. Then adding the PV15 as the finer touch, to add that M8080 Mullard mid-range warmth. The newer models, such as the ET5 & 7 have better bottom end, mainly in the control of tighter bass but that I get in the power amps in any case, hence my hesitation towards, these newer models. I purposely focused on the pv15 because I know this preamp very well in & out, and the only one that was close enough to its overall sound was the pv12 (another musical marvel!)

So with that, I was able to keep off the lofty expenditure and focus more on the CLX's, which eventuated also thanks to a fair trade on the Ethos.

I'm very passionate about stat panels and ML's for that matter, in particular driven with tubes. I do know they sound quite superb driven with top of the line SS & others but with tubes, there's some magic fusion that takes place, it's hard to explain in words.

I'm very happy to hear that you're enjoying the Summit's even more than ever, keep discovering your wonderful music!
Cheers mate, RJ