New member from New Jersey

Tell us who you are. Old veteran, young newbie, just passing by, or here
to stay!
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

New member from New Jersey

Post by adeep42 »

Hello all, relapsed into audio and vinyl several years ago. I built my first hifi during the summer of 1959. EICO mono tube amp, Heathkit FM Tuner, Stevens bookshelf speaker and Gerrard changer with a GE cartridge. Having a lot of fun and really enjoying the music. Keep upgrading because I'm a value tinkerer. Current main system is CA200 bought on AudiogoN, brand new VPI Prime, Cambridge BluRay/CD player, Arcam irDAC, ifi tube buffer, Soundsmith VPI Zenith and Soundsmith MM pre. Am upgrading to Ortofon Cadenza Bronze and have added Bob's Devices VPI SUT. Sticking with the Soundsmith pre for now but looking. That's how I found this forum. Also stream iTunes with Airport express. It's attached to the DAC as is stereo output from cable box.
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Thrilled to join, best regards from Fort Lee.
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Re: New member from New Jersey, part 2

Post by adeep42 »

FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg (75.87 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Re: New member from New Jersey

Post by Big Dog RJ »

Beautiful set up mate. I've never heard those speakers. What are they and where are they designed?
just curious and happened to notice: assuming that you preferably listen at a distance within this space, apart from the lack of sidewalls, which is somewhat interesting since it would sound more open, does the front sound wave sort of reflect off the floor too much? Did you ever try placing a good medium to large carpet in front of the system, so that it blankets both the speakers.

I was wondering about this set up, reminds me a lot going way back to my home country, where the system was placed in a virtually on bare floor tiles in certain areas and parquet flooring. Open space, rooms on either side, hence didn't allow for standing waves, which was a very good thing. Bass was able to flow freely and not get congested. However, the transients and impact on certain notes, especially percussion and strings, including vocals seemed a bit diffused. Visited other fellow mates who had similar set ups, and noticed medium to heavy carpets placed inbetween the system, especially the speakers. So the first thing I did was placed a nice carpet that covered the left to right completely, including the speakers spiked into the carpet. Eureka! everything snapped into place, more focus, better response, transient details were sharper and easier to follow, vocals were forward and powerful, not diffused.

Might be worth a try since you have beautiful flooring. I'm thinking that you have wooden flooring, which will actually absorb the sound nicely but also cause a fairly moderate bounce factor of forward sounding waves. This can be easily diffused/absorbed by carpeting.

Let us know how it sounds, depth & soundstage is it all well balanced? Awesome TT by the way, I bet your analog rig is very musical with the CA200.
What cabling and interconnects are you using?
Cheers, RJ
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Hello RJ, Thanks for your kind words. The speakers are Emerald Physics EPx's. Emerald is a relatively new US speaker company. They specialize in flat panel designs however this model has a carbon fiber tube going diagonally from the woofer to the floor. There's quite a bit of info on the web as well as a bunch of Youtube videos. I was intrigued and willing to give them a try. I'm very pleased that I did. By the way there's a co-ax tweeter behind the mid rage top speaker.

As to the room, about 4 feet south of the stand, there is a thick Asian area rug, a large leather sofa, other furniture as well as bookcases with books and records. It's open on the left and theres a carpeted staircase to the right. Seem as though with the acoustic panels, rug, furniture, etc there's enough absorptive material. Yes the soundstage is terrific and very well balanced. Every one who's heard the system has been very complementary.

Speaker cables are Audioquest Gibraltar, all interconnects are from a fellow on Long Island, NY. He makes them to order. Very low impedance. The web site is http://www.signalcable.com.

Best regards from the other side of the planet,

Alan
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Alan,
Welcome to the site. I love your setup. It's not overwhelming the room and blends well with you living space. Very classy. I have hardwood floors in my home theater room and I was always afraid that it would make the sound harsh. A floor rug and some acoustic treatments fixed that. By the way, I love your floor, what kind of wood is it?

I'm also a fan of signal cable. Really great products at a very affordable price.

Again, welcome to the site and it's great to have you.
-admin
Home Theater in Member Gallery
Main stereo: ART Amplifier and ET7s2. 2nd stereo: PV-14L and MV-55. Previously Owned: PF2 preamp, Evolution 2000 Amp, PV-12AL preamp, D/A-2b Vacuum-Tube Digital Processor.
adeep42
Super Advanced
Super Advanced

Post by adeep42 »

Hi Ad(min),

Thanks for your kind words and warm welcome. As per my earlier post there is a substantial rug and other furniture just 4 feet south of the equipment rack. The floor is some type of wood veneer. I believe the color is called Winchester. Believe I found Signal Cable on AudiogoN. Frank seems terrific and very customer centric. Pleasure to deal with.
Big Dog RJ
Ultimate
Ultimate

Post by Big Dog RJ »

G'day Alan,
Great stuff mate, sounds like those speaker's load &specs match quite well with the amp. Must be a very balanced sound indeed.
Yes, a definite hello from the other side/planet. At first it was quite difficult for me to find various brands of good quality audio. Over a period of11 years I've found the smaller places/dealers hiding in nooks & crannies, it's great to be able to audition different gear in various settings, you can learn so much more from just reading the reviews. Every system I have heard sounds different even the ones with the same speakers and electronics. It is very interesting to learn more about stuff like your speakers, which I've never seen before.

I'll try to check out who is the chap that offers these in Australia and perhaps arrange for a listen. Would be nice.
Enjoy mate, and that vinyl spinning.
RJ